Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2007, 19:28   #1
God Member

Hopi Ear Candles

Does anyone have any information on these? My mum has a blocked ear, it needs syringing really, but she can't get in at the doctor's for 3 weeks. We have heard that these hopi ear candles are good for shifting the wax and clearing the tubes between ears and sinuses. She fancies having this done so we would like to know more about them.

Does anybody know of a salon/mobile therapist who does these and how much they cost?
Accrington Web
Old 16-10-2007, 20:08   #2
God Member

Re: Hopi Ear Candles

I dont think it is advisable
Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea
I am 64 and for past 2 months I have had intermittent earache and a tickling sensation deep in the ears. I thought it was wax -so bombarded my ears with wax dissolving products and then booked a syringing session with the docs practice nurse. She looked and saw no wax whatsoever - just some dead skin in the left one and slight redness in the right (which she said could be due to overuse of wax removal oils.)
After a week to let the redness in the right one go - my doc looked - diagnosis -old age!!!! - now I'm waiting for a hearing test appoinment.
If your mum is over 60 she most likely has the same as me and it is best left to the medics to sort out. Hearing loss in old age is very common (my websearching has confirmed this) My doc said that my eardrum was 'dull' not 'shiny' as in a young healthy adult.
So best not to try anything off your own bat - could make things worse

Last edited by MargaretR; 16-10-2007 at 20:12.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 20:28   #3
God Member

PS The medical name for it - Presbycusis

Old 16-10-2007, 22:42   #4
Resident Waffler

I would advise against it. It's too risky.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 22:44   #5
God Member

wonder how many people (myself included) clicked open this thread just out of sheer nosiness to find out what a Hopi Ear candle is
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 22:55   #6
Resting in Peace

Me me me .. wished I hadn't now .. feel sick ..\_____/
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 23:46   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Me me me .. wished I hadn't now .. feel sick ..\_____/

You think that's bad?

Better not post the link about the Hopi hemroid candle then.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 23:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You think that's bad?

Better not post the link about the Hopi hemroid candle then.
You are beyond redemption
Old 17-10-2007, 20:20   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I dont think it is advisable
Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea
I am 64 and for past 2 months I have had intermittent earache and a tickling sensation deep in the ears. I thought it was wax -so bombarded my ears with wax dissolving products and then booked a syringing session with the docs practice nurse. She looked and saw no wax whatsoever - just some dead skin in the left one and slight redness in the right (which she said could be due to overuse of wax removal oils.)
After a week to let the redness in the right one go - my doc looked - diagnosis -old age!!!! - now I'm waiting for a hearing test appoinment.
If your mum is over 60 she most likely has the same as me and it is best left to the medics to sort out. Hearing loss in old age is very common (my websearching has confirmed this) My doc said that my eardrum was 'dull' not 'shiny' as in a young healthy adult.
So best not to try anything off your own bat - could make things worse

Thanks for the link, Margaret.

Maybe it's best if she waits for the ear syringing at the doctor's surgery. It sounded like a good idea when we first heard about it but after reading your link it does sound a bit risky.
Old 17-10-2007, 20:33   #10
God Member

No-one should have to wait 3 week to see a doctor, if it was me I'd be off to casualty saying I was in excruciating pain and would probably get it done there and then.

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 20:42   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
No-one should have to wait 3 week to see a doctor, if it was me I'd be off to casualty saying I was in excruciating pain and would probably get it done there and then.
Ear syringing is carried out at our surgery by the practice nurse, not the doctor himself. It's the nurse who is booked up for the next 3 weeks. I agree though, it is a long time to wait. She's not in agony,good job too, it's just uncomfortable and annoying because her ear is whistling and she can't hear conversations properly. Otherwise we probably would have to go to casualty because bad earache makes life a misery and I don't think she could tolerate that for 3 weeks.
Old 17-10-2007, 20:48   #12
God Member

'Whistling' ? - doesn't sound like wax to me - perhaps doc should look now- then if she does need syringing the appoinment is already booked

Old 17-10-2007, 20:51   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
'Whistling' ? - doesn't sound like wax to me - perhaps doc should look now- then if she does need syringing the appoinment is already booked
Yes, she has already been seen by the doctor and has booked an appointment for syringing in 3 weeks time. She was just interested in knowing more about the candle option as she thought she may have been able to have that done sooner.
Old 17-10-2007, 20:54   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Yes, she has already been seen by the doctor and has booked an appointment for syringing in 3 weeks time. She was just interested in knowing more about the candle option as she thought she may have been able to have that done sooner.
Sorry I misunderstood - glad it is wax - better than old age deafness anyday

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..