Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 19:17   #1
TJH

Managing Depression - Any Advice????

Over the last 2 years ive suffered from depression, i have never faced upto it but now i have too, iam trying to have a relationship and rebuild myself after a terrible divorce and my company collasping.

Does anyone have any advice on to how manage depression? are there help groups or is my only option to go to the doctors and start medication.

I handed my shotgun licence in the moment i started to feel very depressed.

Any advice would be great, thankyou.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2009, 19:28   #2
God Member

Re: Managing Depression - Any Advice????

TJH, i've been on tablets for depression on and off for the last 2/3 years, i've tried different ones and finally settled on fluoxetine(prozac), they help me immensley...before i started on the current ones i was really bad but i have depression and anger problems, i think my anger stems from losing my mum when i was 15, i used to lash out at anyone and got myself into trouble quite a few times, if someone so much as looked at me the wrong way i would hit them....i'm still like that now...but i have calmed down a hell of a lot compared to how i was before i went on these tablets

someone else on here may be able to give you advice on other things...but this is my opinion on the tablets....i know how it feels to be real low and its awful, and no one seems to understand you, all i got from my family was 'pull yourslef together' but its never that easy is it

hope you get the help you want, if you ever need a chat about anything send me a pm

chin up mate, it can only get better xx
Old 02-06-2009, 19:30   #3
God Member

I am pro alternative medicine and anti pharmacutical drugs
I suggest you try St John's wort.
Hypericum / St John's wort ( Kira , Alterra )

If that isn't strong enough to raise your mood, I then suggest Sam-e
SAMe

If you take ANY prescription meds whatsoever check that they do not conflict with them

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 19:34   #4
TJH

Thanks Flashy, thats exactly how i feel at the moment. My life just fell apart when i found my wife was having an affair while pregnant. I then let my company fall apart. Its so hard to keep going and as for anger, its terrible. I lock myself away when i have a black day as i just cant trust myself to go out.

Thanks MargaretR ill give them a try, off to the doctors in the morning. In the process of moving to the ribble valley so hopefully the local doctors will register me in the morning.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:12   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
Thanks Flashy, thats exactly how i feel at the moment. My life just fell apart when i found my wife was having an affair while pregnant. I then let my company fall apart. Its so hard to keep going and as for anger, its terrible. I lock myself away when i have a black day as i just cant trust myself to go out.

Thanks MargaretR ill give them a try, off to the doctors in the morning. In the process of moving to the ribble valley so hopefully the local doctors will register me in the morning.
Go to your Doctor and get proper Medical care, no one on here is trained to diagnose what form of depression or what medicines you should take.

Good luck with your treatment, it is, an uphill struggle but with the correct care you will manage to look at the world with a much better point of view.

Depression Alliance web site with information about depression symptoms, treatments for depression and self help groups.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:21   #6

[QUOTE=TJH;718404]Over the last 2 years ive suffered from depression, i have never faced upto it but now i have too, iam trying to have a relationship and rebuild myself after a terrible divorce and my company collasping.

Does anyone have any advice on to how manage depression? are there help groups or is my only option to go to the doctors and start medication.

I handed my shotgun licence in the moment i started to feel very depressed.

Any advice would be great, thankyou.[/QUOTE My advice would be to go to your G.P. I dont know if your suffering from mild to moderate or could be severe depression and two years is a long time to have suffered with this. Antidepressant tablets can be very effective in treating these symptons but can take up to six weeks to be at their most beneficial also the G.P.s offer a counselling service which could be beneficial and another treatments CBT depending on the severity of the depression.It appears to be a clinical depression which means a reaction to circumstances. Wish you well and hope you get better soon.If you want to PM me feel free to do so in confidence.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:25   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

There's a difference between having depression and being depressed. Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and needs professional treatment. Being depressed is a different matter. I was depressed for a good 6 months after my husband's death but I didn't have clinical depression, it was unhappiness and it was terrible but I got better eventually.

See your doctor, get a proper diagnosis and take it from there. You may find counselling is what you need. Whatever happens I sympathise and wish you well.
Old 02-06-2009, 21:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
There's a difference between having depression and being depressed. Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and needs professional treatment. Being depressed is a different matter. I was depressed for a good 6 months after my husband's death but I didn't have clinical depression, it was unhappiness and it was terrible but I got better eventually.

See your doctor, get a proper diagnosis and take it from there. You may find counselling is what you need. Whatever happens I sympathise and wish you well.
Please can you explain the difference between having depression and being depressed, im confused about this.
Old 02-06-2009, 21:13   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Well, I thought I had. I suppose you could say depression is on-going and doesn't always have a recognised cause such as a bad event. Being depressed is when we are so very "down" and unhappy that we think things won't get better but they do in time.

This is how it was explained to me when a relative had clinical depression that needed medical treatment.
Old 02-06-2009, 21:18   #10

Quote:
Well, I thought I had.
I thought you had as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 21:29   #11
God Member

I understand it to be the way that Westender explained it.
It is a good sign that he has good reason to be depressed.
If he didn't, then that is a severe problem.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 21:41   #12

Quote:
Well, I thought I had. I suppose you could say depression is on-going and doesn't always have a recognised cause such as a bad event. Being depressed is when we are so very "down" and unhappy that we think things won't get better but they do in time.

This is how it was explained to me when a relative had clinical depression that needed medical treatment.
After one month of symptoms clinical depression would be diagnosed ie its a reactive depression.Most depression is not due to a chemical imbalance or genetic factors low serotonin levels are a result not a cause of depression, This is a misunderstanding is also the reason why drugs for depression miss the point and treat the symptoms instead of the cause.
Old 02-06-2009, 21:48   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
After one month of symptoms clinical depression would be diagnosed ie its a reactive depression.Most depression is not due to a chemical imbalance or genetic factors low serotonin levels are a result not a cause of depression, This is a misunderstanding is also the reason why drugs for depression miss the point and treat the symptoms instead of the cause.
It all began on 31-12 51.
Chapter 2 later, give me a break.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 21:51   #14

As Less has advised, go and seek medical advice, I was diagnosed with a nervous breakdown 11 months ago, it then turned into depression, i have been on Cymbalta since, they are non adictive, and take 2 - 4 weeks to get into the system. I finished up having counselling that lasted for 7 visits, she was brilliant, if you follow their advice and think about it every night before you go to bed, you will feel so much better. I certainly do. There is no "quick" remedy for depression, just healing of the brain in time.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 21:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Please, don't suddenly become an expert when you couldn't even understand the simplistic explanation that Westender put on.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..