Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2016, 16:17   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Martholme viaduct path update

When it was a railway, it was an offence to trespass on the line. I don't think the case has been proved that it has been a right of way.

All t'same, I would like to walk along it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2016, 20:53   #17
Senior Member+

A few weeks ago a miniature railway was set on the viaduct with people paying to ride on it.
It obviously only went as far as the end of the viaduct at the Caravan park end.
The money collected went into the fighting fund to try to get the path reopened.
It's a while since I went to the Harwood side of the viaduct with Mr HANSON but there was a very stout fence and locked gate there erected by the owners of the viaduct.
Old 18-12-2016, 07:54   #18

Going back to the 1970's I remember there being an issue with a sponsored walk that was planned to go over it but didn't for safety reasons (not sure what they were) but clearly it was seen as being a valid walking route back then.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 22:10   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
It's a while since I went to the Harwood side of the viaduct with Mr HANSON but there was a very stout fence and locked gate there erected by the owners of the viaduct.
The gates are still there:-

image.jpeg

There is also a fence with locked gates at the caravan park side, felled trees and shrubbery stop anyone actually going onto the viaduct.
I like it down there,it's lovely and peaceful and offers some great walks for those who live there and enjoy nature....I think it should stay shut.
As you say,the Hanson's have spent a lot of time and money making it a lovely place to live.

cashman likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:26   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
The gates are still there:-

Attachment 54852

There is also a fence with locked gates at the caravan park side, felled trees and shrubbery stop anyone actually going onto the viaduct.
I like it down there,it's lovely and peaceful and offers some great walks for those who live there and enjoy nature....I think it should stay shut.
As you say,the Hanson's have spent a lot of time and money making it a lovely place to live.

We dug a deep ditch between the path and the viaduct a long while ago and filled it with bushes and thorny branches to stop people who had managed to get on the viaduct from getting into the caravan park.
That was when the fence at the Harwood end had been smashed down by trespassers. The owners of the viaduct then put a metal fence with tri-spiked top to replace the broken one. I suppose it was to stop people falling from the viaduct and a claim being submitted.
Like wise the trackbed at the other side of the farm lane.
A lad on a bike rode past the "Private no entry" sign, over large mounds of earth we put there and fell down into a lane below because the railway people had removed the bridge.
I was nearby spreading slurry and rang 999 and it took a helicopter crew to recover him.
His claim failed for two reasons. It was clearly signed no entry private and not a right of way.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:30   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
We will have to wait for the court hearing Taddy. There are a lot of other people on the Padiham side of the viaduct who own the section of the track bed at the bottom of their land plus Mr Gee who owns the old Simon station to use as his coal and wood business. They are all against selling their bit of land.
There are bridges to be rebuilt which the rail company dismantled when they closed the line. This argument has been going on for many years. 20 odd to my knowledge.
People do manage to get on to Mr Hansons land and attempt to pull down the signs.
I am not in favour of any acts of vandalism, for whatever reason; the damage to legitimate/legal signs is totally out of order.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great harwood paths, marthome viaduct, sustrans

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..