Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 09:19   #61
I am Banned

Re: Nori Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And before anybody mentions it, no my Grandfather didn't work at Nori Brickyard
So your grandpappy worked at the Barrow yard then J
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
So your grandpappy worked at the Barrow yard then J
No unfortunately not D
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 21:58   #63

Do you remember a chap called George Robinson who was manager in the 20s or 30s? Did he have any children? Just following a friend's family back and surprised to find the Robinsons came from Bedfordshire and the family went all over the place before settling in Clayton le Moors. George's father George and his brother Baldwin were called terra cotta modellers on the censuses. It must have been a skilled job. Marie
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 22:07   #64
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Ball View Post
Do you remember a chap called George Robinson who was manager in the 20s or 30s? Did he have any children? Just following a friend's family back and surprised to find the Robinsons came from Bedfordshire and the family went all over the place before settling in Clayton le Moors. George's father George and his brother Baldwin were called terra cotta modellers on the censuses. It must have been a skilled job. Marie
Bedfordshire was another area big in brickmaking at one time. They could been following a trade around the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/work/e...s_herts_bucks/
Old 15-03-2013, 18:44   #65

Thanks for your reply. You're quite right, Susie. In 1911 George Robinson senior's family evidently had enough of moving house and they all stayed in Clayton le Moors in Fielding Terrace while he worked on a job in Stoke. George Robinson junior, I am told, later became the manager at Nori and lived in a row of cottages near the house that was bombed in the war, Marie
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 12:03   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
As for the muddled letters theory, having spent the first 12 years of my working life as a pattern maker at Lang Bridges & Bulloughs, no way could that have got thro, several patterns would have been needed before the product reached the brick makers, misspelling on so many patterns, never.
Agreed.

I think the copyright theory is sound... but as yet still unproven

I haven't managed to find any of those "iron whichever way you spell it" ads yet, but I'm still on the lookout. I wonder if there's a way to search for legal proceedings as to the copyright story - I don't have a date to work from or any idea how to go about it. Having said that, even if the copyright theory is true, maybe it was decided amicably away from the courts and so no records were kept.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52   #67

Hi

I am just seeing your post now. I'd love to hear more.

How do we do that?

M
mpnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53   #68

I used to work at Nori until they made me redundant. Up for sale now. Shame. Lots of families worked there in the past. Great place to work
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16   #69

Sadly, this place is up for sale and no longer produced nori,s for years
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 07:33   #70

A rather nice Accrington Nori advert from 1938 that some of you might like to see.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/14734167604/
cashman and DtheP47 like this.
mikeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 21:06   #71
Full Member+

Amazing to see that advert from 1938. My Dad would be working at Whinney Hill then. He started in 1930 when he left school and while he was in the Navy during the war there was a fire there and it ceased producing for a while so when he was demobed in 1946 he was transferred to the Nori works in Clayton where he stayed until 1961. While he was there Blackpool Tower was refaced with best Nori brick. It was built originally from Huncoat brick I believe.The Houndshill shopping centre was built from best Nori too. Actually my house is Nori brick too and the garage. There has been some blue air a few times when hubby has tried to drill into it.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 23:04   #72
God Member

i think same time as ici nobel ardeer expanded now abandoned was there yesterday as it only 25 mins away from my house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ardeer abandoned 032.jpg (533.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 25-07-2014, 23:15   #73
God Member

these were used for the testing of dynamite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ardeer4 017.jpg (528.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 26-07-2014, 13:31   #74
Senior Member+

Found this set of archived pics, if anyone's interested:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/610349...7629219958788/

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 14:07   #75
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
i think same time as ici nobel ardeer expanded now abandoned was there yesterday as it only 25 mins away from my house

What is on the site of the old ICI nobel place cmonstanley?
I used to deliver Sulphuric acid there, they made explosive stuff.
Where about do you live?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..