Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2014, 21:03   #76
Full Member+

Re: Nori Brick

I have noticed today that the Accrington heritage unit in the Arndale have a section all about the Nori. Very interesting especially the photo of the Nori football team in 1950s as my dad and his brother are on it.
Leonidas likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2014, 22:27   #77
Senior Member+

Hi, oh when were you in. I was there in the afternoon. Yep we do have some good stuff re NORI. If you want a copy of that photo, you only need to ask :-)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 20:07   #78
Full Member+

Thanks for the offer but I think it was my photo you copied once. Just nice to see it on display.
Old 07-08-2014, 13:19   #79
Senior Member+

I assume Thwaites famous dray wagons artwork feature was made using nori brick.
image.jpg

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 17:22   #80
God Member

The famous Noris have been granted a new lease of life.

Famous Accrington brickworks set to reopen (From Lancashire Telegraph)
smobile likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 19:43   #81
Full Member+

That's wonderful news. I have read the article in the Telegraph but they are wrong saying the foundations of Blackpool Tower were Nori brick. The Tower was originally built with Huncoat brick which was a different firm. It was refaced with Nori in the late 50's.The firm which owned Nori had their works at Whinney Hill which was on a different site to Huncoat brick.
Old 17-08-2014, 02:22   #82
Senior Member+

Hi Mr Rowlf, that is very interesting to read. Could I perhaps print that off and display in the Museum in our Nori section?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 03:02   #83

Nice idea but that wouldn't reverse the letters rather it would produce a mirror image. Try writing it and holding it in front of the mirror.
putsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2014, 03:02   #84

I think the foundations of "The Empire State Building " were made from NORI bricks..
Leonidas likes this.

Last edited by putsinker; 17-08-2014 at 03:08.
Old 17-08-2014, 08:53   #85
Full Member+

Hi Atarah, You can if you like. I only know what my dad told me and he worked at Whinney Hill until he went into the Navy in WW2 and as there was a fire at that site during his absence he was put to work on the Clayton Nori site after the war. He spent 30 years working for the company. The North West Sound Archive at Clitheroe Castle have a CD of him talking about Huncoat in his childhood and he talks about the Nori on it too.
Old 17-08-2014, 13:47   #86

As I understand it the bricks have been specified for the next generation of nuclear power stations, very good news
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 15:14   #87
Junior Member+

I believe it was Thurston Smith who invented the famous NORI brick..
Old 18-08-2014, 15:22   #88

Thurston, grand fellow. I once visited him at his home in CLM where he had built a large working model of the mill engine in the mill on Atlas st. He actually made some miniature Nori bricks from the original clay and fired them himself. Fantastic thing it was. I believe he also made a model brick pressing machine.
Leonidas likes this.
Old 18-08-2014, 16:27   #89
Senior Member+

There is such a (model) machine in the Market Hall. Maybe this chap made it. Howewver, the NORI was first made long befo
re his day.
Leonidas likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 18:17   #90
Junior Member+

That machine was made by Thurston Smith. His photo is beside the machine.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..