Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 18:51   #31

Re: Old Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There was NO pub opposite the Swan Inn, the Red lion was opposite the Oak Tree Inn which was on the corner of Birtwistle St.
The Red Lion was not the first coaching house as you call it. The first Coaching Inn was the Black Bull in Bull Bridge, the next was the Bay Horse in what became Church St, then the George Inn in Abbey St.
There are no stables underneath the Red Lion (where did you get that garbage from) I have been in the cellars underneath the Red Lion and they are brick arched with an internal stone staircase.
The stables were accesssed from Black Abbey St and are still there.
Retlaw.
Apologies for putting your blood pressure up! I cannot go by previous posts as I am a new member. Am glad that you acknowledge that the stables are under there and Black Abbey street isn't too far away so it wasn't too much garbage, I knew the stables were there. I did work in that building for 13 years but will do my research on the information that I have found for myself and hopefully can share it with you and hopefully you can share yours with me.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2010, 19:44   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
Apologies for putting your blood pressure up! I cannot go by previous posts as I am a new member. Am glad that you acknowledge that the stables are under there and Black Abbey street isn't too far away so it wasn't too much garbage, I knew the stables were there. I did work in that building for 13 years but will do my research on the information that I have found for myself and hopefully can share it with you and hopefully you can share yours with me.
Sorry kikine, but the stables were never under the Red Lion, it was the beer cellar accessed internally by stone steps, it would have been nigh on impossible to get horses down there.
If you worked there then you will be aware that the first opening on the left down Black Abbey St leads to the rear of the Red Lion, to your right looking in the direction of Jacob St, you will see a building facing you, that was part of the stable block, the last time I was in there and looked round the boskins were still there, it was being used to store ladders by Pollards Paints in Warner St, they lent me the keys to explore the place. About mid 1985 I made a scale drawing of the whole block, including what was Sauls shop, and took dozens of photographs both internally and externally plus the cellars. Copies of the drawing and the photographs were deposited in Accrington Library. Did you work for P.V. Tubes.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 07-07-2010 at 19:47.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 13:38   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry kikine, but the stables were never under the Red Lion, it was the beer cellar accessed internally by stone steps, it would have been nigh on impossible to get horses down there.
If you worked there then you will be aware that the first opening on the left down Black Abbey St leads to the rear of the Red Lion, to your right looking in the direction of Jacob St, you will see a building facing you, that was part of the stable block, the last time I was in there and looked round the boskins were still there, it was being used to store ladders by Pollards Paints in Warner St, they lent me the keys to explore the place. About mid 1985 I made a scale drawing of the whole block, including what was Sauls shop, and took dozens of photographs both internally and externally plus the cellars. Copies of the drawing and the photographs were deposited in Accrington Library. Did you work for P.V. Tubes.
Retlaw.
Thanks for the information. Yes I did work for P.V. Tubes that is why it the building always fascinated me. Over the years many people came in with snippets which were obviously wrong. Nice to know the correct details now.

Glad you are not still cross with me.
Old 08-07-2010, 14:01   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just out of interest kikine, ya didn't also work at the victoria inn up manchester rd did ya?
Old 08-07-2010, 14:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Just out of interest kikine, ya didn't also work at the victoria inn up manchester rd did ya?
No not me, can't think of anyone at P.V that did.
Old 08-07-2010, 14:57   #36

Later became Clarksons' Tyres?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:00   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Later became Clarksons' Tyres?
Clarksons tyres was there in the sixties well before PV Tubes
Old 08-07-2010, 15:14   #38

Think after P.V closed it's doors it was boarded up, is it still? Be such a shame it is a fabulous building, full of character.
Old 08-07-2010, 19:26   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Think after P.V closed it's doors it was boarded up, is it still? Be such a shame it is a fabulous building, full of character.
Its still being used there is a sign on the wall "Hiliti" I think, did'nt take much notice of that.
I've attached pictures I took today.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Lion Black Abbey St..JPG (323.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Red Lion Coach stop in Black Abbey St..JPG (377.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Red Lion from Black Abbey St..JPG (402.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Red Lion rear of..JPG (465.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Red Lion Stables- behind Sauls..JPG (403.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-07-2010, 19:53   #40

Thanks Retlaw, Would this still be a listed building?
Old 08-07-2010, 19:59   #41
God Member

I wonder if the round part of the building was originally designed for a specific purpose or is simply late Georgian ornamental?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:07   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks Retlaw, Would this still be a listed building?
If its been classed as a listed building, then its very difficult for a building to be declassified.
Look at the problems blackburn are having with one of the old police stations, and the ring road they want to build.
Retlaw.
Old 08-07-2010, 20:11   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I wonder if the round part of the building was originally designed for a specific purpose or is simply late Georgian ornamental?
Its been that shape since the day it was built.
Why, don't ask me, who can tell what Jacob Lang had in mind when he had it built, circa 1828. Don't forget a lot of the other buildings in Abbey St didn't exist when the Red Lion was built

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 08-07-2010 at 20:18.
Old 08-07-2010, 20:18   #44

Is Jacob Lang of Lang Bridges?
Old 08-07-2010, 20:29   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Is Jacob Lang of Lang Bridges?
No. Lang Bridge first started on Paradise St before moving to Exchange St, on of his relatives had J.W. Bridges Ironmongers, and tool merchants on the West corner of Church St and Blackburn Rd.
I served my apprenticeship at Lang Bridge's Engineering works.
Met lot of World War One and WW2 soldiers there, and more when I moved to Bulloughs in the 1950's.
Retlaw

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..