Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Old Pubs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/old-pubs-53656.html)

jo jo 19-06-2010 19:30

Old Pubs

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did their used to a pub situated accross the road from the petrol station on Abbey St (Next to the Swan.

AccyLass 19-06-2010 22:06

Re: Old Pubs

Can't help with your question, have noticed the more helpful AccyWeb members have answered tho.
Welcome to AccyWeb tho :)

cashman 19-06-2010 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AccyLass (Post 823398)
Can't help with your question, have noticed the more helpful AccyWeb members have answered tho.
Welcome to AccyWeb tho :)

don't ya dare call me helpful accylass, get me a good name.:eek:

AccyLass 19-06-2010 22:28

Oh it's ok Cashy... they may even have the pleasure of meeting you one day and finding out for themselves :) :p

Retlaw 19-06-2010 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo jo (Post 823378)
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did their used to a pub situated accross the road from the petrol station on Abbey St (Next to the Swan.

Short answer is NO.
Starting at Adelaide St, going along Abbey St towards the Post Office there is the Swan, entrance to Swan Yard, then the New Jerusalem Church, then two shops, entrance to Brigg's Yard, another shop, then set back 6 or so feet were 3 more little shops, then the Oak Tree Inn on the corner with Birtwistle St. All demolished except the Swan.
Where that petrol station is you refer to, stood the Wesley Chapel and School.

Retlaw.

hedman2003 20-06-2010 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 823416)
Short answer is NO.
Starting at Adelaide St, going along Abbey St towards the Post Office there is the Swan, entrance to Swan Yard, then the New Jerusalem Church, then two shops, entrance to Brigg's Yard, another shop, then set back 6 or so feet were 3 more little shops, then the Oak Tree Inn on the corner with Birtwistle St. All demolished except the Swan.
Where that petrol station is you refer to, stood the Wesley Chapel and School.

Retlaw.

Sorry Retlaw I think the answer is yes, the question refers to "across the road from the Swan", I'm sure there's one of those Brown Acorn signs on the building across the junction from the Chinese that indicates that building was a Toll House and if I'm correct possibly a pub. Apologies if I'm wrong.

jaysay 20-06-2010 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 823402)
don't ya dare call me helpful accylass, get me a good name.:eek:

Doesn't sit too well does it cashy "Cashman Good Samaritan ":D

Retlaw 20-06-2010 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedman2003 (Post 823435)
Sorry Retlaw I think the answer is yes, the question refers to "across the road from the Swan", I'm sure there's one of those Brown Acorn signs on the building across the junction from the Chinese that indicates that building was a Toll House and if I'm correct possibly a pub. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Here is the question again

I stand by may answer which was NO, there was NO other pub next to the Swan.
The buildings in that part of Abbey st were as in my original reply.
Retlaw.

cashman 20-06-2010 17:46

think the existing petrol station before the swan was being referred too.:confused:

Retlaw 20-06-2010 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 823513)
think the existing petrol station before the swan was being referred too.:confused:

Now youv'e got me confused.
When you say before the Swan, before what,
before the Swan was built there was no such thing as petrol. Would the original questioner like to state exactly where the pub he refers to is, most pubs in Abbey St are on a corner with another street, so where in Abbey street are you refering
Retlaw.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

K.S.H 20-06-2010 19:51

Well I read it as he/she wanted to know if there was a pub across from the petrol station on Abbey St, he/she only mentioned the Swan to let you know which petrol station they meant (even though its not really next door to it)
There is the Arden but I suspect he/she means on the block where PV Tubes was or the next one (heading towards town)

cashman 20-06-2010 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 823519)
Now youv'e got me confused.
When you say before the Swan, before what,
before the Swan was built there was no such thing as petrol. Would the original questioner like to state exactly where the pub he refers to is, most pubs in Abbey St are on a corner with another street, so where in Abbey street are you refering
Retlaw.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

nah mate the garage situated before the swan on abbey st. if ya read the thread, i said where the pub was.:) it can be murder getting exact locations on a post on net, so can understand were yer coming from. not this thread tother un in questions, this was in introductions, but has been moved here, which confuses even more. P.M.S.L.

Retlaw 20-06-2010 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 823531)
nah mate the garage situated before the swan on abbey st. if ya read the thread, i said where the pub was.:) it can be murder getting exact locations on a post on net, so can understand were yer coming from. not this thread tother un in questions, this was in introductions, but has been moved here, which confuses even more. P.M.S.L.

Now you and I are a bit clearer on what we mean. I was describing Abbey St from Adelaide St to Birtwistle St.
That petrol station your refering to in Abbey St is now owned by Tesco, its occupying the land where Briggs Yard and the Oak Tree in used to be.
Trouble with some of the posters they think what is there now has always been there, and have trouble thinking otherwise.

Retlaw.

cashman 20-06-2010 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 823537)
Now you and I are a bit clearer on what we mean. I was describing Abbey St from Adelaide St to Birtwistle St.
That petrol station your refering to in Abbey St is now owned by Tesco, its occupying the land where Briggs Yard and the Oak Tree in used to be.
Trouble with some of the posters they think what is there now has always been there, and have trouble thinking otherwise.

Retlaw.

yep thats true, but nowt new fer me to get a bit confused.:rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:

JEFF 21-06-2010 08:51

Possibly thinking about the Red Lion ?