Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 18:04   #1
God Member

solar 12v battery chargers

Whilst I am in winter hibernation, my Seat Arosa stands idle for weeks on end and the battery suffers for that.
Twice this winter I have needed to bump start it. I find it a bit nervewrecking to do that, because even though I live at the top of a reasonably steep road, I have a dread of it not starting before I get to the bottom, because in my present ill health state, it would be horrendous to walk back uphill home.

I have learned that there exist solar 12v battery chargers which prevent the battery from draining whilst the car is parked up
Leisure/Caravan/Motorhome spares, maintenance, repairs
Features: connects in seconds to maintain your car battery, sits on dashboard, built in discharge protection, cannot overcharge battery, push button LED charge indicator, connect direct to battery (crocodile clips) or through cigar lighter (cigar lghter must function with keys out of vehicle)

I have no idea whether the cigar lighter functions with the keys out, and since the battery is flat now, trying to light a ciggy using it wouldnt work would it?

Does any body know about Seat Arosas cigar lighters who can advise me whether this gadget would solve my battery problem

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2009, 18:16   #2
God Member

Re: solar 12v battery chargers

Posted via Mobile Device
They dont put much charge in to be honest. Maybe they will add a gentle charge to help offset the amount the alarm uses. Having said that julies suzuki was stood for 4 months with the alarm on and still started first turn.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 18:21   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
They dont put much charge in to be honest. Maybe they will add a gentle charge to help offset the amount the alarm uses. Having said that julies suzuki was stood for 4 months with the alarm on and still started first turn.
My car hasn't got an alarm - there must be some other gadget which is draining it

Old 10-01-2009, 19:48   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My car hasn't got an alarm - there must be some other gadget which is draining it
What you need is some one with a volt meter, you then disconnect the + battery terminal cnnect the volt meter between the terminal and the post on the battery, if it shows a reading something in the car is using juice.

Those solar chargers advertised don't give a good uotput, they are little more than a trickle charger, I have a big one 2`-6" x 15" and it takes a fortnight to rechrge a battery in good sunlight, I have volt meter in the circuit, so I can check its working, on a dull day the juice drops really low.

I peronally would'nt put one in my car, it just attract the local yobbery.

A flat battery needs either a charge from a good battery charger, or at least a 1 hour journey. I have one of those emergency starters in the boot, and its surprising how powerfull they are, and the number of times I've used it.
Don't connect them to the ciggy lighter socket, the wiring to the battery won't stand the current for a car start, and could set your car on fire.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 19:51   #5
God Member

Thanks for the advice I will contact a garage with a view to getting it charged or replaced

Old 10-01-2009, 20:17   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the advice I will contact a garage with a view to getting it charged or replaced
How old is the battery on the car, they should last a good 4 years, some garages will con you int thinking you need a new battery when you don't.

Check the battery fluid levels, newer battery's don't need checking, tke the car for a good hours run, then see what its like after a few days standing, if its difficult to start, then yes your battery's duff. I always get my batterys from that place in Church, on the left just before the railway bridge, there's some helpful lads in there.

Retlaw
Old 10-01-2009, 21:02   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
How old is the battery on the car, they should last a good 4 years, some garages will con you int thinking you need a new battery when you don't.

Check the battery fluid levels, newer battery's don't need checking, tke the car for a good hours run, then see what its like after a few days standing, if its difficult to start, then yes your battery's duff. I always get my batterys from that place in Church, on the left just before the railway bridge, there's some helpful lads in there.

Retlaw
That makes me think that I need a new battery and I know which garage you mean -Tinkerbrook Garage - bump started a few weeks ago to get it MOT'd there.

The car has just had its 6th birthday but since I have only done 9000 miles from new, I did not expect to have to replace anything for a while yet, but now I am aware that batteries deteriorate even when not being used.

I will wait until I have the need to go out again which is not likely to be until this cold spell is over, and will get it seen to then.

Meanwhile - hibernation resumes

Old 10-01-2009, 21:55   #8
God Member

Quote:
That makes me think that I need a new battery and I know which garage you mean -Tinkerbrook Garage - bump started a few weeks ago to get it MOT'd there.

The car has just had its 6th birthday but since I have only done 9000 miles from new, I did not expect to have to replace anything for a while yet, but now I am aware that batteries deteriorate even when not being used.

I will wait until I have the need to go out again which is not likely to be until this cold spell is over, and will get it seen to then.

I'd love to hibernate too, Margaret......maybe one day.
Old 10-01-2009, 22:34   #9
I am Banned

Quote:

No I did'nt mean the Tinker Brook Garage, its the place on the corner that sells bycycles, car spares and accessories, real helpfull lads. They will check under the lid for the right size of battery, one of them even changed mine once, at no charge, so your just paying for the battery.

Just flash your eyelids and look helpless.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-01-2009 at 22:37. Reason: spelling
Old 10-01-2009, 22:41   #10
God Member

Think Retlaw means what was Church Con Club Margaret
Old 10-01-2009, 22:55   #11
God Member

Darwendosser has now seen this thread and will be sorting it for me.
Thanks for the help and info - the problem will be solved now

Old 11-01-2009, 07:05   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Margaret, Do you have 2 keys for the car? If so I can come wrong and jump start the car for you and you could leave it running for a while with the doors locked to charge it up again.

If you go A1 motors in Church - the car shop that was the Con club they should be able to test the battery for you. You can't test a flat battery, it has to be fully charged.

If it needs a new one buy the biggest capacaity battery that will fit in the cradle. This way when it is stood for weeks discharging on its own you will have more chance of it starting.

If you prefer we could jump it and you can park it on my drive overnight so I can charge the battery for you. It needs to be on the drive so there are no wires trailing across the footpath. I can take you back home and collect you the day after to take the car back home.

I am only next to the park so only 2 minutes from you.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25   #13
God Member

Thank you for your kind offer of help.

I do have 2 keys, and the method you advise in the 1st para is what darwendosser suggested, and will be doing for me very shortly.

He thinks that after an hour running, and repeating the procedure every week, I will not need to buy a new battery.

There is no urgency about getting it running because I have no need or desire to go out until a rescheduled chiropody appointment early in February - he will sort it by then.

On Thursday last I did need it and ended up paying £10 in taxi fares, which prompted me to, at last, do something about it.

I will be emerging from (semi)hibernation early spring and will be driving further and more often. This is the first winter that I have spent weeks on end without going out.
Hopefully by next winter I wont need to live like that.

I am moved by the generous offers of help I have found here on Accy Web.
Hibernation doesn't mean isolation when you have Accy Web friends

Old 11-01-2009, 12:06   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Keep bump starting it is not the preferred method of starting IMHO, just much jolting on that little gearbox. Much better with the jump leads, then you are starting it as though you were using your own battery. Cheap jump leads are not worth using either by the way. I have seen people using leads that thin and nasty that the leads and clips get hot but the engine still does not turn over

Leaving the battery flat is the worst thing that you can do to it. The longer it is left completely flat the less chance of it recharging again properly.

An hour running is not really enough and it is better for the battery to be slowly charged from such a discharged state. The alternator will charge it at a high rate.

As far keep running it weekly I suppose it depends how often you normally use it and how far you go. If you use a car every day and only do a couple of miles you will end up with a flat battery even though you are using it a lot.

If you change your mind the offer still stands.

Last edited by Neil; 11-01-2009 at 12:08.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 14:24   #15
I am Banned

[quote=Neil;668215]Leaving the battery flat is the worst thing that you can do to it. The longer it is left completely flat the less chance of it recharging again properly.

Had a battery that had been left like that, would hold a charge long enough to start a couple of times, if the engine was warm.

Cut it open, and a lot of the lead oxide paste, in the plates had crumbled and fallen to the bottom of the cells, reducing its efficency by over half.

Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..