Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 13:46   #1

Talking The Very Best

Hello everyone
I am an ex Accy lass and have just found my best friend through the internet from well over 40 years ago and plan a reunion in October, I have booked the Dunkenhalgh Hotel as she doent live very far from there, but I need help on a restaurant. We were hoping to eat at Northcote Manor through recommendation, but I have found out today they are fully booked, even though its over a month from now, for the particular night we want. As this trip has been planned like a military operation, (because I am trying to fit too much into too short a time) it has to be that night.
So I am looking for suggestions on the best, the very best place to eat, not only for food but for location, We are willing to travel up to half hour or so away, am I asking the impossible, lovely country manor house, with exquisit food, 5+ stars. The Best.
I want this reunion to be very special, so If anyone out there could suggest anything, I would appreciate it very much. Now I have to go and get thin and gorgeous, I was only about 12yrs old when she last saw me so anyone tall and slim with a gorgeous body willing to do a transplant swop let me knowhahahah
Thanks
Sheila
Siddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2004, 14:47   #2

Re: The Very Best

Hi Siddie,

I was over in England recently and the best meal I've had for years was at the High Moor at Shevington. It may be a little more than 30 mins. away, perhaps 40 mins. It is quite close to Parbold if you know where that is and has wonderful views over the moorlands. I had the lamb and it was the best I have ever tasted bar none. My wife had the beef and said the same thing. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Hope you have a great reunion.

Cheers.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 15:08   #3

Thumbs up Re: The Very Best

Hi John

This place sounds very interesting, I will certainly look into it, and thanks a million, my friend has made me a video of Accrington, and it doesnt look like how I remember it. How was your visit ?
Sheila
Old 02-09-2004, 15:16   #4

Me again
I have just had a look at your web site, I am impressed, I didnt know I was talking to the rich and famous. My daughter used to horse ride very close to where Paul McCarney lives, I cant believe your biggest regret, just think what might have been, but I guess you do that every day.
Old 02-09-2004, 16:26   #5

Hi Siddie,

We had a lovely visit but we were only there for a week which really wasn't long enough.

You aren't talking to either the rich or famous I'm afraid. As for things that might have been, although I consider we had a very good group, we were purely a cover group with nothing original to our names. So, I really don't think we would have 'made it' as they say. However, I had a great time and really enjoyed my youth because of it.

Hope your visit is as good as it can be, enjoy your meal if you end up at the High Moor.

Cheers for now,

John.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 16:32   #6

Cool Re: The Very Best

Hello John
I am only going for 4 days but secretly intend extending it a little longer, I just havent told my husband this yet, hahaha I am really looking forward to the visit and all the old haunts.
Oh yes just one thing your forgot to mention, the king Elvis, surely he rated in your music likes. I almost just almost once met him in vegas, but thats another story. That is my one regret in life, here comes to mind his song, One night with you. I know in my dreams hahahah
Sheila
Old 02-09-2004, 16:37   #7
Resting in peace

Try the Inn at Whitewell. Fantastic food, wonderful wine list (longest I've ever seen anywhere), the only problem is that it is way out, so a cab is essential unless someone doesn't want to drink. Run by a husband and wife couple (or was) Richard & Pam Bowman, great chef. And don't forget to clock the foxes ...
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 16:38   #8
God Member

Whats all this stuff about visiting posh restaurants? Whats wrong with the local Chippy? Surely if you're coming back to Accy & you want to relive old memories then that's the place you should go. You'll save a few bob as well...mind you, even the chippy ain't cheap these days.....
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 17:14   #9

Thumbs up Re: The Very Best

Hi Pendy

This one had crossed my mind, but I was wondering if it may be too far out, on the other hand it sure is a pretty place and I am very interested, Oh dear, I think I am going to have to stay at least a month and eat four times a day, what a lovely way to go though fat and happy hahah
I have sent you a pm, I am not sure if I did it right though, I hope you got it
Sheila
Old 02-09-2004, 17:19   #10

Cool Re: The Very Best

Hi tealeaf

I love the pun, the PLACE to go, yes, nothing wrong with Chippys, but remember I have become a southern softy, and at times love a bit of luxury, well I like a lot of luxury, but dont we all, This is going to be one hell of a reunion if it kills me, but deep down I'm still a Lanky lass at heart, and still yearn to take my pudding bowl to the chippy and get a mixture
(mushy peas on the bottom and chips on top) do they still do them.
Sheila/ alia Siddie
Old 15-10-2004, 13:31   #11

UPDATE

I am back from my reunion trip to the land of my birth, Accrington and it was absolutely wonderful, no it wasnt, it was better that that. We started off at the Dunkenhalph Hotel, Clayton, then I took Pendy's recommendation to go to the Whitewell Inn, what a wonderful place, and I had forgotten how beautiful the Forest of Bowland is (God's country) I met Pendy in the Dunkenhalph for the first time and then again on our home ground in the south at the Dorchester Hotel in London. (Posh eh) I am now planning my next trip back so anymore suggestions would be most welcome.
Siddie
Old 15-10-2004, 14:39   #12
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Try the Inn at Whitewell. Fantastic food, wonderful wine list
A good call there, Pendy.
If you're looking at the Inn at Whitewell, try and book the table in the bay window; the best seats in the house and with a view to match.

If you are prepared to travel a little further, maybe 45 -50 minutes, Lettie and I can thoroughly recommend the Old Silent Inn, on the road between Colne and Haworth. We went for a meal there on Wednesday evening; the fillet steak with stilton, wrapped in bacon and served with a port and mushroom sauce was devine. We both came away from there saying it was probably the best steak we had ever had. Here is the website: http://www.old-silent-inn.co.uk/

If you are in the southern Lake District, try the Drunken Duck Inn, near Hawkshead. Again, this is a countryside eatery that prospers on its reputation for serving top quality food. Here's the website for your perusal: http://www.drunkenduckinn.co.uk/

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2004, 14:46   #13

Oh boy you are making my mouth water, we did sit in the bay window seat, not only for eveining meals but for breakfast, what a way to start the day.

Thank you for the other recommendations, I will certainly look into them, I think the next trip is going to be even better, if thats possible.

Thanks again
Old 19-10-2004, 14:06   #14
Resting in peace

Siddie - forgot to ask you if you had spotted the foxes at the Inn at Whitewell!

The only downside to having a house in Ossy is that we have no excuse to stay at the Inn at Whitewell any more. It is my favourite hotel in the world, it has everything.

Mind you, we didn't do too badly at the Dorchester ......

Sparks, must try the Silent wotsit - sounds great, the only downside is getting there, cos it's always me that has to drive!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 13:16   #15

Hi Prendy

How do we go up from the Dorchester ??? heheh I cant get over a couple of Lanky lasses in the Dorchester.
I agree with the Whitewell Inn, its dreamy, although I am lured to the Gibbon Bridge next time perhaps and I have sent for the brochure on the Drunken Duck and that looks very nice, Oh dear, I am getting ideas of grandeur I think. Keep the ideas coming everyone please.
Accy, I WILL BE BACK
SIDDIE

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..