Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By AccyVicar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 19:38   #1
Junior Member+

War memorial's

A couple of questions really. Firstly does anyone know what became of the war memorial plaque that used to be housed in the old Grammer School on Blackburn Road?

and secondly does Green Haworth have an independent war memorial of any kind similiar to the ones say in Rishton Con club and Elmfield Hall?

I cant find one in Green Haworth but thats not to say there isn't one housed somewhere away from the general view

thanks
floodlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2010, 20:44   #2
Senior Member+

Re: War memorial's

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodlight View Post
A couple of questions really. Firstly does anyone know what became of the war memorial plaque that used to be housed in the old Grammer School on Blackburn Road?

and secondly does Green Haworth have an independent war memorial of any kind similiar to the ones say in Rishton Con club and Elmfield Hall?

I cant find one in Green Haworth but thats not to say there isn't one housed somewhere away from the general view

thanks
I posted a similar question on the AGSOB website some time ago. No one was sure but this is the response I got from Bob Dobson, who I hope does not mind me re-posting it on here. If you do find the location of the Memorial Plaque you may also come across the AGS Honours Board.

"The likelihood is that these boards went up to Moorhead and stayed there on the walls until 1975. They probably got put in the janitor's room along with the First World war memorial whuich retrieved a few years ago. i think it unlikely that they still exist, but I will enquire. The memorial is now in Accrington library albeit not in the best position due to ongoing building work. A memorial to the fallen of WW2 was ripped from an outside wall at Moorhead and probably sold as scrap. It didn't bear names."
Old 06-10-2010, 21:59   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodlight View Post

thanks
Green Haworth as such, never heard of a war memorial just for Green Haworth, the nearest thing for Green Haworth is St Clements School, all their names are on St James R-O-H, in St James's Church,
as for the Grammar School, is the attached what your looking for.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grammar School Memorial..jpg (355.8 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 06-10-2010 at 22:03.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:47   #4
Junior Member+

thank you both for your replies
yes the picture is what I was looking for. It seems like an example of the work of John Cassidy (1860-1939) who was responsible for the Clayton le Moors memorial in Mercer Park and also the one housed in Rishton Con club.

I will have to make enquiries at Accrington library if it hasnt been turned into a full blown internet cafe by now
floodlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 15:11   #5

There is a memorial plaque still in situ in Green Haworth School, where St Clement's Church meets. There are only a few names on it: S.C. Holden (KORL), J. Holden (RWF), J. Whittaker (AVC?), W. Stowe and S. Stowe. I can't read too well off the pictures I took on my phone. I could get some better ones if you are still interested.

cashman, JCB and Accyexplorer like this.
AccyVicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 18:48   #6
Senior Member+

The Grammar School WW1 WM is in the lecture room of the library. I am currently negotiating with the library to have it mounted onto a more prominent wall. Accvicar may have been responsible for recording a previously unheard of memorial. I shall notify the authorities - if Retlaw didn't know about it, it is a major find. As Barrie states, the ASGS memorial to the fallen of WEW2 has gone missing. It6 didn't have names on sop far as I am aware. There are two books in the library giving the names of the lads who fell in both wars, the details were compiled by Bill Turner(RIP)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 22:18   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The Grammar School WW1 WM is in the lecture room of the library. I am currently negotiating with the library to have it mounted onto a more prominent wall. Accvicar may have been responsible for recording a previously unheard of memorial. I shall notify the authorities - if Retlaw didn't know about it, it is a major find. As Barrie states, the ASGS memorial to the fallen of WEW2 has gone missing. It6 didn't have names on sop far as I am aware. There are two books in the library giving the names of the lads who fell in both wars, the details were compiled by Bill Turner(RIP)
Dobbo you should know better, of course I've seen the one at St Clements, and know who they are. Bill and I rescued a lot of WW1 memorials from churches and schools that were either being demolished or turned into mosques.
The ones that I haven't seen are the Union St chapel, Abbey St Wesley Chapel , Royds St Chapel, Christ Church, and Oak St Congies, but I do have the names from all of them. Christ Church now has one I made for them.
Old 10-03-2015, 15:37   #8
Senior Member+

Retlaw's earlier posting lead me to think that there was a Green Haworth Roll of which he was not aware.
I have been in touch with Mike Coyle, who is a 'reporter'; for the national body which co-ordinates and records WMs and Rs of H. I have made him aware of the location of the St Clement's memorial
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:32   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw's earlier posting lead me to think that there was a Green Haworth Roll of which he was not aware.
I have been in touch with Mike Coyle, who is a 'reporter'; for the national body which co-ordinates and records WMs and Rs of H. I have made him aware of the location of the St Clement's memorial
Bil and I collected info from every R-O-H we could find or thnk of, every pub, club, school, institute or organisation had one, between us over the years we found 143 in Greater Accrington, there are several names on some that should not be on them, as they were not born or had lived in the area, but a relative did. Accy's War Memorial has 14 double entries, 19 spelling mistakes, 2 who did not die, and 9 Pals missing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..