Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2009, 03:21   #46
God Member

Re: What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Blazey......That kind of arrogant attitude just deserves contempt and i personally shan't bother replying to one of your infantile postings again!! From someone who placed no boundary's on the content other than healthy and cheap...you have basically turned your conditions to Free Range, Organic, Natural produce which you dont want to source at a Supermarket. In your intial post you refer to a Spar product..so people then quote accordingly!! Why not state that in your original post then people dont waste there own time....which strange as it may seem...is every bit as valuable as yours...so that we could answer your queries in a more appropriate manner!! I suppose it sums up a student mentality though...lets talk all day about irrelevent things!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Yes, my point was that it gets to the point where I haven't got money to eat properly when I'm stuck working all hours of the day at University during my summer, so I want to be more efficient when I DO have money so then I don't have to live off rubbish.

Locally sourced food isn't irrelevant, it's fundamental to the British economy and people would do well to remember that we have a very accessible farming industry on our doorsteps that is struggling because people insist on buying cheap rubbish instead.

I never even mentioned Organic. I don't buy into the 'organic' trade because it's a farce. I just don't see why I would want to eat something that has been grinded through the mill and back, coated in bread crumbs or a marinade that I could have made myself with less of the crap in it, then slapped in the middle of a wrap under the false-pretence of 'healthy'.

I'm 20 years old and stressed out and hormonal. I want to eat a decent meal. I haven't seen friends and family for weeks because I've had to work and study all day and night at university in order to pay my way through University.

If you don't want to make my day a bit better by using some common sense and not suggesting I eat even more crap out of a cardboard box or something that is unethical, then I suggest you don't post to me at all. I'll take you up on the offer. Because I wouldn't have a slave for convenience, so I don't see why I'd consume a badly treated animal for convenience either, economic or otherwise.

Also, students work damn hard to be able to talk about things that you think are irrelevant and pointless. Some of them make careers out of talking about those things and they make a MASSIVE difference to your liberty, equality and general well-being.

I just want to eat a decent home-cooked meal. I'm not asking for much. I asked clearly for RECIPES. How many recipes do you see in cookery books that say 'cook your Birds eye chicken gridlers' ?

The reason I'm NOT looking in a cookery book myself is that often the recipes have expensive ingredients that aren't necessarily important to the meal or can be replaced with cheaper ones, and student cookbooks are all full of the same stuff that I can ALREADY make.

I don't need your patronising comments. I don't need snide remarks about me being a student.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2009, 03:25   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Oi I'm a student we aren't all caught up in propaganda

I spent a long time deliberating over this remark and decided that it wasn't worth my effort to respond to this remark, but there are different sorts of students, and I'd much rather be my sort than your sort.

Nuff said.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 04:11   #48
God Member

for some reason I have a mental image of Blazey living on a diet of tripe
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 04:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
for some reason I have a mental image of Blazey living on a diet of tripe
The only tripe that passes her lips comes out, doesn't go in........
Old 23-08-2009, 05:15   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
The only tripe that passes her lips comes out, doesn't go in........
your words not mine just be careful what you say ....she's amongst the future leadership of the country
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:59   #51
God Member

Well,well,well, with nothing better to do this fine Sunday morning I stumbled upon this thread,and I am so glad I did................I haven't laughed so much in ages!

After reading all the posts and 'digesting' (no pun intended!) the contents thereof,I should like to add my 2 Penneth worth If I may:-

Blazey, my suggeston is quite simple.............try eating the 'High Horse' you are currently perched upon,It wouldnt cost you anything, but it would help you in oh so many ways.......trust me.

Your replies to the majority of the posters on here smacks of 'wanting your cake and eating it too', which as you travel down lifes big highway,you will come to realise is not possible 'ALL' of the time!

Right Im off to put my tin helmet on and await the flack!!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 08:34   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Blackberries are free - make a pie.

or 3 ...we went 'foraging' yesterday and the kids ended up making these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP_A1552.jpg (70.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 23-08-2009, 08:38   #53
Senior Member+

i regularly feed myself , my other half and my little girl for under a fiver and the majority of the time I do it without resorting to prepacked items or pretension!!!! But not everything that comes pre packed is bad for you. Try getting some nutrition books out of the uni library, I highly recommend McArdle, Katch & Katch's book Sports and Exercise Nutrition, 3rd edition. It makes for interesting reading if you really want to know about what you need from food.

The one thing I do think you're missing the point on Blazey is the herbs and spices bit. If you buy supermarkets own brand dried herbs and spices they are cheap and last a long time especially if you're only cooking for 1. I know you want fresh but with herbs and spices it is simply fresh herbs and spices, freeze dried and ground or chopped, so essentially all you are doing is rehydrating them.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 08:43   #54
God Member

best thing to do Blazey is get yourself a slow cooker, you can buy cheap cuts of meat from the butcher (keeping produce local) then go down to the market and get lots of veggies (local produce again) and shove them all in the slow cooker, with a decent sized slow cooker you can get 3/4 meals out of it, if you have use of a freezer you could freeze them and eat whenever, i love my s/c, i make chicken, stews etc all the time, stick it on before you go to Uni in the morning and thats tea done for when you get home, with stews you can always drain off the unwanted liquid and make a pie out of it, pastry aint hard to make and the unwanted liquid can be turned into gravy

slow cookers are fairly cheap, usually under £15 but worth their weight in gold
Old 23-08-2009, 08:51   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
best thing to do Blazey is get yourself a slow cooker, you can buy cheap cuts of meat from the butcher (keeping produce local) then go down to the market and get lots of veggies (local produce again) and shove them all in the slow cooker, with a decent sized slow cooker you can get 3/4 meals out of it, if you have use of a freezer you could freeze them and eat whenever, i love my s/c, i make chicken, stews etc all the time, stick it on before you go to Uni in the morning and thats tea done for when you get home, with stews you can always drain off the unwanted liquid and make a pie out of it, pastry aint hard to make and the unwanted liquid can be turned into gravy

slow cookers are fairly cheap, usually under £15 but worth their weight in gold
Excellent advice Flashy.............and very tasty too!

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:43   #56
God Member

I have a big slow cooker that I got from freecycle.
It is ideal for bulk cooking and freezing the surplus.
I have a very small kitchen and worktop space is precious & scarce.
Because the cooker is stored away I don't bother to use it as much as I could do.
I have been on the lookout for a small version (1.5ltre) and noticed that Argos have them for a tenner.
I have ended up buying a posh steel one from an ebay shop for £17 inc P&P.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 09:58   #57
God Member

i saw a couple in the small Maundy Grange shop the other day, i think they wanted £8 each for them
Old 23-08-2009, 10:42   #58
Senior Member+

Blazey the book i mentioned earlier is not a cookbook, nor is it an ingredients manual or anything like that, but it does tell you a lot about how your body works and how much 'fuel' your body needs. This is actually a sports nutrition book which is a little different than an everyday nutrition book, atheletes need higher protein and carb levels etc. There are plenty of online websites that will tell you the caloric value of foods and what foods are healthy, most of which will also supply a range of recipes.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 12:15   #59
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device

Now i'm-not getting involved in the argument but here is my slant on cheapo healthy cooking

chicken, buy a cheap chicken of whatever provenance suits yopur morals, i'm happy with 3 quid from tesco, you may see different.

Learn how to joint it, you will get 2 breasts< two good sized legs and chuck the wings in a bag in the freezer till you have a decent bag full.

The breasts can be chopped for curries, stuffed with a bit of cheese and wrapped in a slice of bacon, poached in a little garlic and wine, grlled and toppd with a tomatoe puree spikes with herbs or spices of choice , braised in a stew with veg, flattened and stuffed with garlic butter, chpped mushrooms or a stuffing of sage and chopped veg.

The legs can be roasted, stewed or souped with a mix of barle, lentels, split peas etc (sod as broth mix in supermarkets) and whatever veg you have. Top with dumplings for extra yum.

Wings, when you have a decent bag, defrost, mix up tom puree, olive oil, chilli powder and garlic and shake in the bag. Leave overnight to take the flavour then grull or BBQ.

Beef, cheap cuts have most flavour but need longer to cook. When making bolognaise, make in a large batch, then make up lasagnes, canelloni, and save some for spag bol as it is.

Lamb

Only buy when in season as it too expensive otherwise. Then get cuts like shoulder and legs
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 17:28   #60
Resting in Peace

Try looking at the GI index ... gives foods that will keep you going longer, sustains blood sugars, albeit not always inexpensive. Is all about healthy lifestyle eating, not necessarily to slim, etc :-

Tesco Diets - Online Dieting, Weight Loss and Healthy Eating

Can get more information for you if required.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..