Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 16:35   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Working Family Tax Credit

if you find a job you want to apply for and give them a ring they can calculate how much you would be entitled to.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2009, 16:35   #17
Caz
God Member

No probs then flashy, don't worry, I was a better off working as a single parent, coz still got everything free working that we did on income support.

Was worried was going to be worse off but wasn't the case.

Job centre can do you a comparison print out, to show how much better off you would be.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Caz; 12-01-2009 at 16:38.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 16:49   #18
God Member

oh yeah, i've had a few print outs for different wages etc, i'm looking at doing 25 hours on £8.22 an hour, i have had a 'working out' done for this today (if i actually get the job) i will get wftc but i wont be entitled to any help with housing or council tax, which is fair enough, i will be earning a decent wage anyway

i have all the 'qualifications' required for the job, there are two posts going for the same job...so fingers crossed hey
Old 12-01-2009, 16:51   #19
Passed away 25-11-09

It is all income related. You don't get things automatically just because you're on CTC. Job Centre, agreed, have a very good system to show you how you'll be affected depending on what you earn/what award you get. You can also ring the Tax Credit helpline and they can advise you.
Old 12-01-2009, 16:53   #20
Caz
God Member

Good Luck Flashy

- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-01-2009, 17:06   #21
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

You only get free prescriptions etc, if you earn below £17.000 a year, im sure of it, or it could be £15.000

Last edited by panther; 12-01-2009 at 17:11.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 17:42   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
It is all income related. You don't get things automatically just because you're on CTC. Job Centre, agreed, have a very good system to show you how you'll be affected depending on what you earn/what award you get. You can also ring the Tax Credit helpline and they can advise you.

we have personal advisors Westender

thanx Caz
Old 12-01-2009, 18:01   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
we have personal advisors Westender

thanx Caz
It was part of my job, as a Tax Credit Office investigator, to know the Tax Credit system inside out until I retired 16 months ago. I wouldn't presume to consider myself up to date with figures, limits etc. now because things change quite frequently and I no longer need to keep up (I'm very happy to say ). I do still have enough basic knowledge to help a little but I'll bow to anyone else's superior information.
Old 12-01-2009, 18:18   #24

In Scotland as long as you get an NHS exemption card which generally comes with WFTC, you get a massive discount off everything prescription wise.

Dentist, Prescription, Wigs and Glasses.
Mr Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:22   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post

Dentist,, Wigs and Glasses.
Bet Alan Carr is kicking himself that he wasn't born in Scotland now!!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 18:43   #26
Caz
God Member

Sorry Flashy if I may have misled you, assuming you would be in a very similar position to myself. Always had the CTC, till kids went to uni, and everything that went with it. West ender is obviously the one to listen to though because it was her job.

One thing I do know though, through experience, is that the people that work these things out don't always get it right, so if you doubt something, question it.

Twice in the last year the ones dealing with us got it wrong, on one occasion, saying I owed them about £1000, coz I supposedly wasn't entitled. Turned out they were wrong, and only beause of constant phonecalls and being refered to various people did I get it sorted. They had to reinstate our tax credits, and give me some money back.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-01-2009, 19:12   #27
Caz
God Member

Another problem I had was a couple of years ago, although this wasnt Tax Credits people's fault, just feel like a rant.

I took in a mate of my lads, and had to claim for him as well. The parent who had custody was more than willing to hand over responsibility, but not Child Benefit rights. I therefore had to make enquiries via CAB, and ended up contesting the parent's right to CB, filling in several forms. This took quite a while. Until I had CB, I wasn't allowed to claim tax credits.
By the time we got sorted we were in debt. I think we got backdated to the date we qualified for CB, about 3 weeks. Was a heck of a struggle in the mean time. Nothing forthcoming from the other parent either.
Meanwhile the parent who had had custody was spending her sons money on herself, presumably.

Rant over!

- Oscar Wilde
Old 12-01-2009, 19:16   #28
Passed away 25-11-09

Caz, don't rely on me for complete accuracy. Like I said things change very fast but I can, usually, point people in the right direction.
Old 12-01-2009, 21:29   #29
God Member

Caz, please dont say anymore, your making me upset

lol
Old 12-01-2009, 22:01   #30
Caz
God Member

Sorry Shaz! The lad was lovely though, totally well adjusted polite, intelligent, and caring, considering. Down in Manchester with the lads now, and working full time.

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..