Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Karateman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2014, 20:39   #1

Accrington 1918 absent voters list

Hey check this out....try and find you grandad or great uncle.....

Just found my great Uncle fred savage....

and maps of accy as well..

Accrington 1918 Absent Voters List

Phil
cashman likes this.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2014, 21:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accrington 1918 absent voters list

Nice one mate, just found me Grandad. I'm 90% sure. Though what does PD n NR stand for?

Last edited by cashman; 21-02-2014 at 21:42.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 21:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nice one mate, just found me Grandad. I'm 90% sure. Though what does PD n NR stand for?
Abbreviations: P.D., Polling District; Nr., number in Absent Voters List.
Old 21-02-2014, 21:55   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nice one mate, just found me Grandad.
Be careful don't take the AVL-18 for granted, in the Greater Accrngton area their are 7909 names, I've found over 500 errors so far, those lists were supposed to be compiled from forms filled in by the men themselves, (rubbish) you would think the men would know their own service numbers, regiment, how to spell their name, and where they lived.
Two men had died in 1916, some in 1917, who put their names in the AVL, what about prisoners of war. Always check the medal records, or service records for the correct regiment & service numbers, look in the 1914 or 1919 register of electors, there is a family called Holden in 1914, in 1919 they call themselves Holding, one of their sons was killed and recorded as Holden, the other was killed and recorded as Holding, the same thing happens with Fielden & Fielding.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 22:33   #5

It mentions the POW on the home site here...

The Accrington Pals
Old 22-02-2014, 12:51   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
It mentions the POW on the home site here...

The Accrington Pals
There were several men men from Greater Accrington who were released from german P-O-W camps in December 1915 & January 1916 who are not in that list, they were in hospital and were too ill to attended.
As for his lists of Accrington Pals, from Abbott to Bywater there are 33 names missing.
1701 men "Original Accrington Pals" either enlisted or were transferred into the Battalion from the 14th Sept 1914 to the 30th June 1916. Not all of them went to France over 600 of them had been weeded out, before the end of november 1915, to old, to young, in reserved occupations, or unfit, some men got fed up and asked to be transfered to a fighting unit. A further 90 men & an offier transfered to the M.G.C. The Battalion had also suffered casualties after their arrival in France, 16 killed & 49 wounded, plus one man who died, that was before July 1st, they had to be replaced.

Last edited by Retlaw; 22-02-2014 at 12:55.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..