Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2013, 10:34   #1

Anyone work at Brockhall hospital in late 1970s

Hi
I'm Kevin, I worked as a volunteer at Brockhall for a year from 1977-1978.

Does anybody know anyone who worked there at the time?
tanatuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2013, 11:42   #2
God Member

Re: Anyone work at Brockhall hospital in late 1970s

If you use the 'search' bit at the top right hand side of the page and put in 'Brockhall' you will find a few threads already on the place
Old 27-09-2013, 12:22   #3
Junior Member+

I volunteered 1973-77 used to get a ticket for something to eat in the canteen as a bonus. Minibus used to collect us from Paddock House grammar school in Ossie and drop us in Accy bus station. I remember my then art teacher's daughter was a nurse there ( Lesley Snape )at the time. I did Jasmine Ward among others, is Brockhall still there?
essexshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:12   #4

Brockhall is still there but is now an upmarket gated housing estate and also part of it is now Blackburn Rovers training complex
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 13:50   #5
Junior Member+

What happened to the patients/residents it was a huge place and most of them were never going to be able to live independently
essexshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 18:30   #6
God Member

a lot of them did indeed move into the community, into their own homes often with another patient or two, most have carers in with them on a 24 hour basis, they live in cluster houses, several went into nursing or residential care
Old 13-10-2013, 09:58   #7
Resting in Peace

I have two books that I have reproduced on the Whittingham Hospital Asylum….
this is mainly to preserve the history, not for financial gain…
Book one covers the history of the asylum… book two is the Report of the Inquiry into the 1970’s
shocking abuse that took place there…. both are out of print , the latter being withdrawn ( not long after publication) ( one wonders why )
If anyone’s interested… see me on the market ( Victorian flower cart ) inside the market hall or email me…
The booklets are printed on A4… with spine binder ( not hard copy books)
[email protected]
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..