Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 16:11   #1

Dorothy Westell (Westell)

Hi!

I know there have been a few posts about Harper Westell’s second wife (formerly Ainsworth); but does anybody have any information about his first wife, Dorothy (nee Laytham) and her family? She was my great-grandmother.

I recently had my daughter’s DNA traced and, when they asked about the female line, I realised that I knew very little about her or any of her family. If you know anything I’d love to hear from you!
Elizabeth
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2010, 05:54   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Dorothy Westell (Westell)

The 1901 census states the family were living at #6 Nelson Square Accrington--As-
Harper Westell 37 born C.L.M., Dorothy 37 born Settle, WilliamTaylor Westell 15 born Church, Sarah Elizabeth 13 born Church, Joseph 12 born Church, Peter 9 born Accy, Margaret 5 born Accy, Maud 3 born Accy. Let me know if you would like their marriages and children. I have not been able to find Dorothy in Settle yet but will look when I have a little time. Bryan.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:33   #3
Senior Member+

O.K. I stayed up a bit longer, here,s more info.
1871 census living at Stonefold were Dorothy and her family as-
Adam Lytham 55 born Slaidburn, Elizabeth wife 52 born Naughton Yorks, Jane 25 dau, born Blackburton Yorks. Elizabeth dau 16 born Clapham. Miles son 10 born Clapham. Dorothy dau. 7 born Clapham. In 1881 Miles and Dorothy were living at 163 Church Hall Farm as boarders. I think that was somewhere on Dill Hall Accrington. Let me know if you need any more, Bryan.
ossy kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:22   #4

I am a grandson of Harper Westells second wife Sarah Alice Ainsworth. You say that there have been previous threads about her? how do I find them please?
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 18:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Hi!

I know there have been a few posts about Harper Westell’s second wife (formerly Ainsworth); but does anybody have any information about his first wife, Dorothy (nee Laytham) and her family? She was my great-grandmother.

I recently had my daughter’s DNA traced and, when they asked about the female line, I realised that I knew very little about her or any of her family. If you know anything I’d love to hear from you!
Elizabeth
Adam Laytham of Green Corn Farm Stonefold was buried at St James in Haslingden on October 4th 1873 aged 57 years. His widow went on to marry Huen Riley in 1878. If you want any more info let me know
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 14:39   #6

Only just found this post Dorothy Westell is my Greatgrandmother she married Harper Westell on 1st Jan 1883 eldest child George was born in April 1883 was
brought up by his Grandmother Sarah (Harpers mum) my Grandad was William
Dorothy died in 1920 aged 57 and is buried in Dill Hall Cemetry
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:58   #7

Hi Jimslad - am assuming that your grandfather was William Taylor Westell who married Ada Regan. Do you know any of the history of Dorothy (Laytham) and Harper Westell? I do have some information going back a numberb of years if you would like it which I have gleaned from various sources and would be happy to share with you. Btw, my husband's great-grandfather was Dorothy and Harper's son George, who as you so rightly said was brought up by his grandmother, Sarah. Dorothy and Harper had 7 children as far as I know. Looks like you and him indoors are related, albeit distantly. Cheers!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42   #8

Sorry, Jimslad, made a mistake - William's wife was Ada Ryan NOT Regan.
Old 03-04-2012, 13:59   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
The 1901 census states the family were living at #6 Nelson Square Accrington--As-
Harper Westell 37 born C.L.M., Dorothy 37 born Settle, WilliamTaylor Westell 15 born Church, Sarah Elizabeth 13 born Church, Joseph 12 born Church, Peter 9 born Accy, Margaret 5 born Accy, Maud 3 born Accy. Let me know if you would like their marriages and children. I have not been able to find Dorothy in Settle yet but will look when I have a little time. Bryan.
Peter Westell Private 43563, R.A.M.C. lived at Peels Arms Cottage Dill Hall Lane. He was captured by the jerries. Repatriated, attended the Welcome Home Ceremony in Feb 1918.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 21:09   #10

Hi Retlaw. Can you confirm please that this Peter was the son of Harper and Dorothy (Laytham) Westell, and was born 1891. If so, then I think he was most probably the father of Harper, born 1921/22, a Sergeant in the R.A.F. who sadly lost his life aged 22 on 15/2/1944. Would seem that Harper became a name passed down through the family, having originated through the first Harper's mother's maiden name. Peter Westell was married to Alice Whittaker if my information is correct. Am starting to put together a bigger picture of the Westell family and would really appreciate it if you could confirm all this.
Old 03-04-2012, 22:53   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Hi Retlaw. Can you confirm please that this Peter was the son of Harper and Dorothy (Laytham) Westell, and was born 1891. If so, then I think he was most probably the father of Harper, born 1921/22, a Sergeant in the R.A.F. who sadly lost his life aged 22 on 15/2/1944. Would seem that Harper became a name passed down through the family, having originated through the first Harper's mother's maiden name. Peter Westell was married to Alice Whittaker if my information is correct. Am starting to put together a bigger picture of the Westell family and would really appreciate it if you could confirm all this.
Yes all the family were living at Peel Arms Cottage Dill Hall Lane, Church in 1911 Census.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-04-2012 at 22:57.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 09:42   #12

Re family history, again. This time I am trying to find out who the parents of John Westell born in Blackburn around 1796 were. John married Ann Thompson (born in Ireland) at St. James, Church Kirk on 4/11/1813. The surname Thompson then became a first name in subsequent generations. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as was previous help given to me by your members.
Old 20-05-2012, 15:08   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Re family history, again. This time I am trying to find out who the parents of John Westell born in Blackburn around 1796 were. John married Ann Thompson (born in Ireland) at St. James, Church Kirk on 4/11/1813. The surname Thompson then became a first name in subsequent generations. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as was previous help given to me by your members.
.................................................. ...............................

PM me with your address and I will put you in touch with a chap in Stockport who has done a loot of research on this name. I have for a sale a book written by William WestAll - the name has had different spellings. He was from a wealthy family living up Stanhill and owning a factory in Blackburn.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 23:06   #14

Hi Bob - many thanks for this - have done as requested. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 21-05-2012, 06:54   #15
Senior Member+

I cannot believe that, so far, nobody has mentioned the veteran Accrington councillor Mrs Dorothy Westell.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..