Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2012, 22:01   #16

Re: Dorothy Westell (Westell)

I am surprised also as Dorothy has played (and is still doing from what I hear) such an important part in lives of the people in the Accrington area. For the information of those interested in this name, and as far as I know, Dorothy's husband, Clifford, was the son of Maud (born 1897 - died 1933, when Clifford was 10), who in turn was the daughter of Harper and Dorothy (nee Laytham) Westell. Maud was the youngest child of this family. My husband's father, George, was the eldest - with 5 others in between. Happy to supply any other information.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2012, 22:17   #17

Sorry, my mistake - it was my husband's grandfather (not father) who was the son of Harper and Dorothy Westell. My excuse for mistake being that it is very early here in the day in Australia as I write this! I believe that Clifford Westell also played a big part in the life of Accrington and its people.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:29   #18

Dotti John and Ann where Harpers grandparents John was born in Blackburn
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 14:01   #19

Dottisen only Westells in Aus i know are 3 cousins who are Joseph Harpers sons but i seem to remember my dad telling me about a cousin named Sam i think in the fiftys
Old 08-06-2012, 20:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
Adam Laytham of Green Corn Farm Stonefold was buried at St James in Haslingden on October 4th 1873 aged 57 years. His widow went on to marry Huen Riley in 1878. If you want any more info let me know
Anzac
I think I have this Huen Riley in my family tree , I dont think he is a direct ancestor I ll check and see what i have
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20   #21

Jimslad - Thank you for that. The information re John and Ann, and that John was born in Blackburn, is very welcome as it confirms a couple of things I was unsure about. I am assuming that Ann's maiden name was Thompson - hence Thompson becoming a first name in a couple of the generations. Have you any information as to who John's parents were? I haven't been able to find any that fit in properly. Also his year of birth.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30   #22

Jimslad - me again. Trying to work out relationship between you and my husband. Think you are 2nd cousins, never sure just how to work this out. 7 Westells (and myself) came out to Australia in 1957 - including father George, mother Janie, 5 sons and me. Sadly George and Janie are no longer with us, but they have certainly left their mark - we have all done our bit and added to the population here.
Old 11-06-2012, 21:42   #23

Dotti Harper and Dorothy are my great grandparents so that would make George and my dad James cousins the only cousins i know in Aus are Terry Brian and Tony who i think live around Perth but it's a big place so i may be wrong
Old 11-06-2012, 22:10   #24

Dotti the info i have on John is that he born in Feb 1798 parents William and Mary that info
came from Blackburn library the spelling of the surname is Westwell which common mistake
and still happens today.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:57   #25

Ta for that. Think I might have to go back to the drawing board though as if this John is the one who married Ann Thompson in 1813 at Church Kirk (which is my theory) then he would only have been 15 - and her also!!! Could be I suppose as census details of the family I have been following do give his birth year as 1797, though ages seem to be a bit fudged from one census to another - so what's in a year or so. If I am on the wrong John re this family, which is more than possible, then my theories are all up-a-wattle. Am sure other readers of the Accy Web have had enough of my queries re the Westell lot (with all its varying spelling), must get boring if not connected, so have sent you a p/m re other stuff.
Old 13-06-2012, 20:07   #26

dotti on family search.org they have a john westell or westwell born 1795 in blackburn and christend at the same baptist chapel parents names given as benjamin and mary
Old 14-06-2012, 08:15   #27

Continuing apologies for writing more on the Westell family saga, please bear with me all you non-Westells. I said I would cease and desist but I do need to publicly thank Jimslad once more for his latest info., which I do. Much appreciated. Must say though, Jimslad, I am now very confused as to which is the right John. As we all know, some clues as to the correct family line to take come through the same names being passed down through the generations - but as the John I have has BOTH a William and a Benjamin amongst his offsprings these 'clues' ain't helping much - either could have been his poppa. Sorry to be using Acc'y Web for my personal stuff/research but even though the dad was born in Blackburn the family DID live in Oswaldtwistle and Clayton so they do sort of 'belong'. Hope this makes it acceptable. Cheers and best wishes from South Australia.
Old 14-06-2012, 17:00   #28

Further info on the Westell family of Dill Hall Lane Harpers daughter Maud committed suicide in the bath in 1933.I know this because I was living there at the time.Harper was my Step Grandad.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 08:05   #29

Jim, that is so sad, what a pity she wasn't able to overcome whatever it was that was so awful she felt this was the only step she could take. What a pity she didn't live to see what her son and his wife achieved. She would have been very proud of them both, and justifiably so.
Old 15-06-2012, 18:23   #30

Dotti, there is a photo somewhere on this site, that I put on around 2007.It shows some children in Peel Arm Cottage garden.One of them is Clifford Westell and another is me.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..