Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2012, 09:50   #1
Senior Member+

John Addison

I want to learn more about a John Addison, who was a manager at Broad Oak in the mid-1800s and lived in a fine house at the top of Hollins Lane. Any descendants still around?
Judith Addison likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2012, 21:37   #2

Re: John Addison

Hi Bob! I've never heard of this person although John Addison is an extremely common name in my family. My great-grandfather, John Addison, was born about 1839/40, to parents George, a labourer, and Alice. At the time of the 1841 Census the family was living at Lane Ends, Oswaldtwistle - John is shown as aged 2. At the 1861 Census the family is living at Dill Hall Pits, Church - John, aged 21, is a coal miner. At the 1871 Census John, aged 31, had been living in Clayton-le-Moors with his wife Mary and young family of four children (the youngest was my grandfather, James, aged 6 months). However, he is shown as living at Morley, Yorkshire - he and his elder brother, Thomas, had gone there to look for work at the pit. John was killed in the Morley Main Pit Disaster on 7th October 1872, aged 32. My family seem to have been poor people from the labouring classes at this time. However, my dad, also John Addison, did occasionally mention that my grandfather had a cousin in Preston, Canon Addison (I think his first name was Frank). So it may be that there were some higher-class Addisons! I'd be glad to know who the John Addison was that you're enquiring about.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 09:32   #3
Senior Member+

Re: John Addison

As yet, I can tell you little about John ADDISON. The house was 5, Holly Bank, Hollins Lane. I'll ask Atarah to post a pic of this that she has taken. I suspect that , as well as working for the Hargreaves in a senior capacity as Broad Oak, he would be known to the Peels who owned the land that Addison St was built on, and they practised naming streets after their friends.There are several examples of this - Arnold St is the nearest example. I don't want to get into discussion on streets in this thread, but to concentrate on finding Addisons. It may be that an out-of-town Addison is who I should be looking for - and I am, but it would be useful to know more about this John There's nothing in the library
Judith Addison likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..