Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2003, 20:58   #31

Post Re: Missing friends

ferngore estate when I lived there was a totally different place to what it is now I could name nearlyevery family who lived there in my  time even now 50 years on All the children went to either springhill council school or st oswalds catholic school and if your dad wanted a pint at night he had to walk to accrington during the war hardly any buses ran at night or walk to the plough inn in fielding lane through a mucky lane past lightbrowns farm another good walk was to the pickup  arms on moscowmill st which my mum and dad did occasionally at the weekend but only when it was fine to end this message I will name some of the familys who were on ferngore in my time there ferngore ave the godwins ainsworths silvestors coxes dunnyshop ave the andrews lowes finns  podmores shepherds Icould go on and on but I will end with the name of my good friend teddy barnes everone on the estate knew teddy  ps to get to the pickup arms you had to walk through nelsons farmyard and watched were you walked
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2003, 06:59   #32
Senior Member+

Wow Keith that was a bit before my time.As i read your post i can picture it all in my mind.I lived up there before they put up that new estate on High Street.Used to all be field when i lived up there.Plough is now a belting little pub.Used to go to the Shoulder of Mutton and Red Lion when i was a little bit younger
Old 25-10-2003, 16:00   #33

Well Keith thats a bit before my time too. My parents also were regulars at the Plough.  I went to St. Oswalds and later Holy Family. Many of us on here were from Fern Gore we must know some families in common. Some from my time. Franny and Peter Daly. Arlene Burton. Barbara and David Young. Angela Walmsley. Malcolm Hill. Rotherham. Hankinson. Rae. Boast
Did you never go sledging up Sheep Coats Farm at the top of Willows Lane after Miller Fold.
Do any of you remember the motorbike scrambles they held up Green Howarth before they turned it into a golf club.
Julian Dearden likes this.
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2003, 21:35   #34

Sorry lynne none of the names ring any bells as regards green howarth the main family living there  was the lynches who owned the shop facing the pub I  sat next to eric lynch  at school  who went on to work for his older brothers at the garage next door to the shop when he left school I believe the business is still going but is based at huncoat now as regards the chippie the one we used was on willows lane and owned by mrs illingworth my older brother both mated out and worked at  the scaitcliffe pit with her son albert they were both electricians the shop itself was on the one row of houses on the left were bullough park finished the chippie at the far end  and a grocers  nearest to the park  At the corner of ferngore ave were it led down to the path going towards what is now high street was an old cabin which was the gloggers shop run by john roberts and of course we nearly all wore glogs in them days so he was always kept busy and of course he repaired shoes but he did long hours and never closed 7 days a week I still bump into the odd person who was on the estate in our time there but the only one who is still there I met recently in accrington his name jack hargreaves  Icould go on and on but its getting late so when I get chance I will come back with a few more names and memories                                  keith
Old 26-10-2003, 08:50   #35
Senior Member+

LYNNE,KEITH.do you remember the jarman family lived near the Red Lion pub?I'm sure malcome hill was in the same class as me at school. Hollins.
Old 26-10-2003, 18:39   #36
Senior Member+

janet i remember the Jarman family.Dave Jarman was the eldest if i remember correctly.Had many a pint with him in the Lion and the Shoulder.Do you remember Bob Dickinson who lived right next to the Red Lion.Also had a pen up there too.
Old 27-10-2003, 07:37   #37
Senior Member+

mik.maxine is the eldest , david and his youngest brother christopher still live in the same cottage, i'm there cousin.my auntie and uncle died a few years ago. Dont keep in touch with them much, but we see each other knocking around town.
Old 27-10-2003, 20:14   #38

In reply to the message from vinny our family moved into accrington 1944 but there were still some large familys still on ferngore at the corner of clarence road and wordsworth road lived the ainsworths my brothers were very friendly with tommy and on the same road the lowes one was called roland another big family lived on dunnyshop the Finns there dad was a great bowler and his sons have inherited his skill and are still playing  as regards the family called hill the ones we knew lived in a house along side nelsons farm there was clare who married cris hindle a farmer on the top road haslingden margaret who I us to fancy mary I cant remember there brothers but there dad drove the three wheeler scammel at accrington railway station and of course colin nelson the farmers son was in the same class as me at springhill school maybe those names may have stirred someones memory
Old 29-10-2003, 17:32   #39

Janet  the name Maxine rings a bell but I cant bring her to mind.
Malcom Hill had dark blonde hair and kept ferrets. I wont give your age away but from an earlier message you sent me, yes he would be about your age.
Old 29-10-2003, 19:11   #40
Senior Member+

Also new the addison family from fern gore bernard also went to my school. My grandma was  called addison before she got married, so i know that we were related to him somewhere down the line.did you know the mc intyres i knew linda.have'nt seen her for, must be 35 years.
Old 03-11-2003, 14:07   #41

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.accringtonweb.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi?board=lostfriends;action=display;num=1067 882511]This Thread[/link] by Roy.
chris g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 14:34   #42

Yes, Janet I do remember Linda. She had a sister called Angela who worked with me at Redac Brickworks Huncoat. Many moons ago.
Old 05-11-2003, 16:34   #43
Senior Member+

It's a small world lynne, i bet a lot of us on this site know each other or people from the past. ;D
Old 05-11-2003, 19:50   #44

redac brickyard canteen was a place I popped into for my dinner now and again when I worked as a driver for the NCB the huncoat pit canteen was rubbish  and the food at redac was excellent so quite a few of us opted for the redac  canteen I got to knew quite a few of the brickyard workers which came in handy in later years when I had to switch jobs and worked for a large haulage firm nearby no names but they closed down a few years ago and the firm did the odd load out of redac but not many because their main customer was NORI have you guessed the name of the firm
Old 05-11-2003, 20:29   #45
mez
God Member

hey kieth my dad used to work for ncb at altham we lived in downham ave  then moved to church  we lived at 38  i have 2 brothers  bernard & tony who is the youngest my names mary , yes i remember owd tom in shop, i went to st marys ( cos i got nits in me head at st oswalds) lol then went to holy fam for 3 months

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..