Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How Patriotic? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-patriotic-4424.html)

Neal 03-06-2004 16:25

How Patriotic?

3 Attachment(s)
So come on then, whose flying the flags for England / Euro 2004 the and WW2 rememberance?

Let's see your images, here's some of mine. I've put this on Burnley Web too so sorry if you've read it twice!

ShortStuff 03-06-2004 20:32

Re: How Patriotic?

Bought an England flag for my car on Sunday - and it got nicked while parked outside my house on Monday!!!

Bagpuss 03-06-2004 20:52

It's nearly 2 weeks before the footy starts and the amount of flags flying is amazing I never knew we where so patriotic about the English team. With the local elections coming up it's good to see the flag being flown in Burnley. A quick question at work today shows 80% who I asked are flying the flag now because we are English and want to upset other religions and of course the Scots, great idea.

Angel 04 04-06-2004 04:18

Very funny

Tealeaf 04-06-2004 10:33

Flying the flag for the England football team? You must be joking. To fly the flag in support of that bunch of 4th-rate, overpaid, underperforming losers is an insult to the flag.

Our flag should be treated with the reverence it deserves, not hanging off the aeriel - like a bit of oily rag - of every other unwashed white van whenever the England footy team are about to endure yet another thrashing by some tinpot third world country.

Either fly the flag permanently - get yourself a flagpole in the backyard, like the Yanks have - or fly it on special occaisions, such as the victory of the England Rugby team (a man's game) - but don't soil it for those sorry clowns, the England footy team.

glasgow guy 04-06-2004 10:43

I think its good to see union jacks flying but I have to admit I am slightly sick of seeing so many St.George flags, but then again what else am I going to see living in England ??
I dare say that english people living in scotland when they qualified for the last world cup they were in were probably sick of looking at St.Andrews flags - its nice to see all the same but why not all the time ? why only when the footy starts - was in florida last month and there are stars & stripes flags everywhere - because they are a proud nation - Us british are too so why not fly our flags all the time ?

Ceejache 04-06-2004 11:56

Probably because some left-wing do-good loony will come round and order you to take it down for fear of upsetting the ethnic minority. No hot-cross buns or Christmas Nativities allowed either! (But it is ok to preach anti-british hatred/treason in the streets)

glasgow guy 04-06-2004 13:28

probably , I heard last week that a car showroom in liverpool or somewhere were orderd to take down their flags as it may upset the ethnic minority - and that was despite the ethnic minority saying it didnt bother them !!
too many chiefs and not enough indians !

JohnW 04-06-2004 13:43

Too much political correctness bull****!

We have had our flag, our traditions and our language for many many centuries. If you come to our country learn the language and learn to accept the flag. We don't care how things are done in your old country, you are here now and need to do things the British way. Here we excercise freedom of speech, and you may complain about things if you wish. Please compain in a non-violent way. If you can't accept our ways, our flag and our language I would urge you to excercise another of our freedoms - the right to leave and go back to wherever it was you came from.

Ceejache 04-06-2004 13:52

Only last week a pub chain (not Yates or Wetherspoons but something like that) said that over Euro 2004 anyone wearing an England top would not be allowed in their establishments - any other country's shirt no problem, but not England. Pathetic.....

I wonder what would happen if one refused an order to take down a flag. Arrested? On what charge? Its a shame that this week 60 years men and women died to prevent the spread of the Nazis and Fascism and to preserve our countrys identity - and look what happens now. I have no time for the BNP but things like this and the Governments woeful policies regarding you-know-what are plain playing right into the hands of them.

Respect to anyone flying the flag (St.George or Union) for the right reasons!

Neal 04-06-2004 14:51

Well my flags (St George and Union Jack) are always flying, and i'm having the flag on the chimney soon too, not sure which one yet though, the Union Jack or St George cross.

I agree, we should fly our flags all the time and be proud, like I do.

Saying that, a sales rep came into my place of work the other day and he said when he came off the M65, he was stopped by the Police and asked to take his St George flag down as it was racially intimidating in this area (Feniscowles, Blackburn). I mean, why? This is England / Britain. I'm glad to say that he refused to take it down, and the Police can do nothing about it.

If your told to take them down, refuse to do so. They can't do a thing.

ShortStuff 06-06-2004 20:44

I agree that we should be able to show the flags all the time - but footy competitions is about the only time we feel we are allowed - (although I do wish them well - I don't care how much they're paid they're still representing England, so I want them to win). This issue in this country is getting totally out of hand and if the government chooses not to recognise the English then I'm afraid they are leaving the doors wide open for the BNP.

Neal 06-06-2004 23:44

Well i've now had the St George flag put on my chimney, you can see it over to your left as you come off the M65 Eastbound Junction 10!!!!

Ceejache 07-06-2004 01:01

Tealeaf - I find your lack of faith disturbing!!!! (said in the best Darth Vader voice!) I take it you wont be watching come June 13th? Give the boys a break for christs sake.......granted, were not the best team in the world but......C'mon England!!!!!

Fly the flag with pride!!!!!!

Neal 07-06-2004 04:44

2 Attachment(s)
Well finally got it done. After hearing that some towns and cities are stopping people from flying the flag, I decided on the St George Cross

Acrylic-bob 07-06-2004 05:34

I may be wrong here, so correct me if I am, but isn't it against the law to fly the Union flag for more than thirteen days in any one year?

Acrylic-bob 07-06-2004 05:44

I may be wrong here, correct me if I am, but isn't it against the law to fly the Union flag for more than thirteen days in any one year?

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 09:03

I'm not a vexillologist, Bob, but I've certainly never heard of any laws restricting the days/occaisions/places when the Union flag or St Georges X may/may not be flown. Some countries have pretty stict laws on it, but not ours. As far as I'm aware, we're free do do as we please. The only people who appear to believe there are laws on this thing are politically-correct zealots in your local town hall, funded of course, be me and you. If any of these characters should ever visit you or write to you telling you to desist from flying the flag, just tell 'em what to do.

But as far flying it in support of the footy team, don't make me laugh. The last time I saw those idiots line up before a game not one of them seemed able to sing the words of the National Anthem. I'll admit, that was a few years ago but I'm pretty sure I've not missed much (unless someone can tell me that the England football team have in fact won something). There are many occaisions when the flag can and should be flown...but please, don't waste your money or time in flying it for those toss pots.

Can someone wake me up when England are ejected from Euro 04? It's at end of the group stage, but I don't know what date.

Ceejache 07-06-2004 11:05

Holland have never won a World Cup and are consistently disappointing in major tournaments - yet their fans are loyal and proud. The boys are the best we have and I for one will be cheering them on. Win, lose or draw I'll be proud that they've represented the country to the best of their abilities (if this is the case, as I'm sure it will be). Support is about backing thru thick and thin....otherwise one gets labelled a 'sunshine supporter' or 'glory-hunter'...and there is nothing worse than one of those.......

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceejache
Holland have never won a World Cup and are consistently disappointing in major tournaments - yet their fans are loyal and proud. The boys are the best we have and I for one will be cheering them on. Win, lose or draw I'll be proud that they've represented the country to the best of their abilities (if this is the case, as I'm sure it will be). Support is about backing thru thick and thin....otherwise one gets labelled a 'sunshine supporter' or 'glory-hunter'...and there is nothing worse than one of those.......

So you're sopporting Holland now, are you? You've seen the light - England really are a bunch of pathetic no-hopers.

KIPAX 07-06-2004 13:25

Quote:

England really are a bunch of pathetic no-hopers.
You ******!!

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 13:32

Oh Dear...but the facts speak for themselves, not the hype, which any silly sod can believe in....England have only once got beyond the group stage...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - that indicates they are going to do any better this time.

6-1 against Iceland..... Is that supposed to be impressive? Give me a break. Iceland has a population amounting to less than the regulars in the Stag taproom on a wet tuesday night. The score should have been double that, at least.

However, there's nowt wrong with being an optimist....sweet dreams!

JohnW 07-06-2004 14:05

We currently fly the Stars and Stripes outside our house. I would like to fly the Union Jack as well, but, in our neighbourhood, you are only allowed to fly the Stars and Stripes. I may put in an objection to this, pointing out that the flags are flying together in Iraq and Afganistan.

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 14:38

If they give you any nonsense, John, hit 'em with the violation of your constitutional rights..that takes presedence over State/County law...mind you, you should have your flag at half mast for the next 30 days, so I don't think it would be a good idea to do 'out till then.

JohnW 07-06-2004 14:43

It's not even County or State law. We live in a golf community which has a housing association and it's these little jumped up Hitlers who have decreed this!:mad:

Neal 07-06-2004 15:35

If you want to fly the flag, then do so. If it's not against the law then there is nothing they can do except moan about it.

Some places over here are stopping companies and people (Or trying to stop them) from flying the British or English flag as some people find it offensive. In my opinion, why come to Britain in the first place if your offended by everything? It's a small minority just trying to control everything which will result in extremist parties doing very well.

If enough people fly the flag and refuse to take them down, there's nothing they can do. There's supposed to be some kind of law (Paris Convention) where your only allowed to fly the flag at certain times. I'm sorry, but i'm English / British and proud, and will fly the flag all the time and no one will tell me otherwise.

In America, most services and people have the American flag flying, we should do the same here.

Acrylic-bob 07-06-2004 15:43

Hmmm, so much for the 'Special Relationship' then. Funny how many of these much vaunted aspirations don't stand up to close scrutiny. A bit like representational government and democracy.

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 15:51

Neal - I agree. Flying the flag for 365 days a year should be mandatory for every public institution - be a government building, a school or a hospital or whatever...if someone objects, then tough...if it receives public funding it flies the flag. I would also have every office and factory fly it....any workers object, dismiss 'em with no claims.

I simply object to it being brought out whenever there is a footy tournament to see it being hung and flown from any old place....if the flag means that much, then treat it with the reverence it deserves. As for mass displays of it from innumerable cars, vans, hanging from windows - do you think that will make any difference to the play of Englands finest 11 down in deepest Portugal...I doubt it somehow.

Roy 07-06-2004 16:03

Well my company fly the union jack every day, and they recieve no public funding. They always have flown the flag as far as I know, you can't see it as well now since they built the extension but it is still flown.

Quote:

I simply object to it being brought out whenever there is a footy tournament to see it being hung and flown from any old place....if the flag means that much, then treat it with the reverence it deserves.
What is wrong with that tealeaf? In this day and age with the way life is, it is nice to see the country come together, so why not for football?
The way you speak of the UK/government/councils why would you ever want to fly the flag? If people want to do it to support the football team then so be it, I don't see many other reasons these days to get excited about being english.

JohnW 07-06-2004 16:18

Well I hardly think it mars the special relationship. I believe it is not a snipe at the Brits, it's probably to stop certain other residents (say from middle eastern states) flying their flags outside their houses. I believe the special relationship is still strong. Probably stronger than any other two nations in the world. I like to think it is anyway, and I'm not generally one for rose coloured glasses.;)

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 16:22

Well there's nowt worth getting excited about the footy team. It's just interesting comparing this hype to the Rugby team last year...similar in many ways, with the exception of course that England were then favourites. Do you remember the piccys of Beckham & Wilkinson booting the ball about...an interesting comparison....but look at the contrast,,Wilko spent every day, 7 days a week, several hours a day, just practising his kicking, right up to the tournament itself. What does Beckham do?

He goes and gets a tattoo on his neck, thats what. Do you think if I was a Frog or a Croat that would scare me? Do you think that would make Beckham more of a marked man? The frogs and the croats are pi**ing their pants at Beckhams performance so far. Well, He's been a joke in Spain and he's going to be a joke in Portugal.

Will I be taking part in this Charade by smacking back my lager in the pub with the rest of 'em when it's an England Game? You must be joking.

Ceejache 07-06-2004 16:46

What has Icelands population got to do with anything? The old Soviet Union was hardly a footballing powerhouse was it? Besides - there is no such thing as an easy International game anymore.

Shall we all only sing when we are winning? What kind of people would we be then.....? Wheres your fighting spirit 'leaf?

Up the Oranje....lol

Neal 07-06-2004 16:52

It could be, most do like us Brits anyhow so wait until it all dies down, about 70 years or so! lol!

Get one on your car!

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 16:58

Quote:

Besides - there is no such thing as an easy International game anymore.

lol

In Englands case, there's definatly no easy game any more......

Acrylic-bob 07-06-2004 17:04

The national flag represents us as a nation. In the past it represented the brave lads who fought under it on the Somme and also on the beaches in Normandy. It represented an idea of a country where fair play and civility were ideals to be aspired to. It represented a love of culture for it's own sake. It appalls me now to see that it represents a nation in whom the love of culture is limited to some overwieght Italian Tenor screeching that 'none shall sleep' as though this summed up all that it meant to be English. It appalls me that it represents a nation where the ideal of fair play is subsumed to the desire to win at all costs, or we will riot, and where civility is limited to those employed in the service industries.

This urge to display the national flag will disappear shortly, until the next tournament revives the urge, proving that it comes not from love of country, but from fashionable partisanship, which is an entirely different thing.

WINGY 07-06-2004 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy
Well my company fly the union jack every day, and they recieve no public funding. They always have flown the flag as far as I know, you can't see it as well now since they built the extension but it is still flown.

What is wrong with that tealeaf? In this day and age with the way life is, it is nice to see the country come together, so why not for football?
The way you speak of the UK/government/councils why would you ever want to fly the flag? If people want to do it to support the football team then so be it, I don't see many other reasons these days to get excited about being english.

It sure is still flown, and i must add that if we have any foriegn visitors , there flag is flown at the side of it.
Pretty good me thinks.

Bagpuss 07-06-2004 19:49

Ceejache you're wasting your time with Tealeaf on this occasion he follows that silly game of Rugby Union when he should be watching footy or Rugby League.

JohnW 07-06-2004 20:03

Ah AcrylicBob,

I have, sadly, to agree with you wholeheartedly. There was a time in the world, when all you had to do to get excellent service and respect abroad was to be British. Not any longer I fear, we are hated throughout Europe and much of the world. There was a time when you could make a telephone call from a public call box at any time of the day or night in complete safety. You are not safe trying to walk to the call box now and if you manage to reach it, all the glass will be smashed and the telephone will not be working because it will have been ripped out by its cord. Once in a while you would see a fight in a pub or nightclub. Now you can hardly find anywhere where there isn't a fight. We have been overtaken by the yob culture and it has ruined the country. America is supposed to be one of the most violent nations in the world with many people carrying guns etc. I work in the largest city (by landmass) in America and do not see hardly any mindless damage to property. I drive a convertible car and I leave it for hours in car parks with the top down and I have never returned to find the car damaged in any way. Can you imagine doing that anywhere in England? I have attended packed out professional sporting events (American Football and Baseball) and have never heard so much as anyone swearing never mind beating the crap out of each other. I don't know what has gone on to bring about this shameful turn of events, but until it is righted, our great old country is going further and further down the pan and is going to end up in the sewer. What a sad, sad end to a country which was, less than 100 years ago, the greatest country the world had ever known. I wonder how the men who died at the Somme and Normandy would feel had they known they had given their lives so that such unworthy decendants could live in comparative peace and wellbeing. It is a tragedy beyond words.

Ceejache 07-06-2004 20:18

I totally agree about the decline in our countrys behaviour. However, the rest of us 'decent folk' are just looking forward to a footy tournament and seeing as its England then we just want the right to wave the English flag and be as proud as we can.

Cheers Bagpuss, but I kinda got that feeling somehow....

Mik Dickinson 07-06-2004 20:24

Got the Union Jack and the St Georges cross going.Also have a Union Jack, British Bulldog sticker on the car.Now the one i have on the windscreen is an England Player peeing on a German National football shirt with the immortal 5 - 1 underneath it.

yerself 07-06-2004 21:40

There's a website www.politicalcompass.org that may interest one or two of you, why don't you take the survey? You could well be surprised. One of the statements you are asked to either agree or disagree with is: "No-one chooses their country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it." Bearing in mind that a vast proportion of the so-called patriots who fly the Union Flag do so upside down do you agree with the statement?

Acrylic-bob 07-06-2004 21:45

I thought that since we are now all Europeans we were supposed to regard each other with respect. Do you not think that your windowscreen sticker fosters a sense of distrust, disrespect and animosity? All right England beat West Germany at football nearly forty years ago. Are we so insecure that we still need to crow about it? What happened to magnanimity in victory? What happened to humility? I ask because I really do not understand.

Bagpuss 07-06-2004 22:27

We might be Europeans but some of us are English first and a bit of humour towards the germans for a game which was not 40 years ago but Sept 1st 2001, I personally don't have a problem with, if the score had been the other way around I'm sure it would be us who where the butt of some jokes.

Bazf 08-06-2004 02:12

"No-one chooses their country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it."

We dont chose our parents or siblings either are we then foolish if we are proud of what they achive?

Are we so insecure that we still need to crow about it? What happened to magnanimity in victory? What happened to humility?
Lets stop all the parades when we win...........
Age cannot wither these legendary veterans of Operation Overlord.
And as the survivors, now in their 80s and 90s, defied the heat of the French sun to officially walk together for the last time in front of the sands of Arromanches, they still looked like the callow young men who landed here to free the world from an awful tyranny.
A look that can only be described as throat-tighteningly, heart-thumpingly magnificent.
To be in the small Normandy town of Arromanches yesterday was to witness a haunting communion of the living and the dead honouring the finest generation of men any of us will ever know.
Up on the cliffs where, on June 6th 1944, German troops watched helplessly as the greatest-ever seaborne invasion unfolded

Acrylic-bob 08-06-2004 06:02

You appear to be supporting the idea that football is a sublimated form of warfare. Tealeaf is right in his suggestion that history has taught us nowt. I'm sorry but a bunch of overpaid, pampered, arrogant and egotistical, halfwitted fashion victims, prancing around with a ball while thousands of drunken louts scream xenophobic encouragement under the mistaken belief that they are being somehow patriotic, leaves me cold.

Mik Dickinson 08-06-2004 06:49

Now Bob for some home truths.I ahve lived over here for going on 22 years.Although i like the way and standard of life i have over here there are still some things that bug me.i.e.No matter how well you do or applicate yourself you will always be held incompetent because you are non German.The majority of this countrys problems are due to immigrants, European or not.When it all boils down to it the Germans are still waiting for the reincarnation of Hitler, some of them openly say that too.
It is not often that England excels on the sporting circuit against its international rivals so when it happens why in hells name can i not revel in it? After all when the boot is on the other foot i have to take some real stick believe me.

Tealeaf 08-06-2004 12:53

I just feel sorry for the Portugese and what is about to hit them..there they'll be, out for a traditional late evening stroll..mum, dad, the kids and grandma through the centre of Lisbon or Oporto...maybe they'll pop into the local restaurant, with their favouite window seat for a salt cod supper..and then?

The door crashes open and in staggers half a dozen beer-bellied, shirtless, red cross tattooed, head shaved, semi-inebriated examples of Englands Finest....."Vindaloo, Vindaloo, Vindaloo...", these moronic imbeciles chant. The locals turn their attention away to the window: there, one further member of the tribe is busy vomiting down the front of the window while his mate, in the splendid Cross of St George shirt, is attempting to disperse the carrot-laden matter by urinating it all away....

Are'nt we all proud to be English and display the cross of St George on an occaision such as this?

Mik Dickinson 08-06-2004 13:56

Well me sis and Bros in law have just come back from Portugal and they say there is a big British contingent down there anyway.What you have described T is a normal holiday in Espania.I really believe that the authorities have got a lot of stuff under control.I am more bothered about the terrorists than the4 Hooligans at the mo

Tealeaf 08-06-2004 14:31

What I've described Mik, is a normal saturday night in Accy...but you're right - the bu**ars are everywhere. As for the terr threat, the best thing there is not to worry about it - if it happens, it happens.

Acrylic-bob 08-06-2004 14:51

All right Mik, I do concede that the Germans are an arrogant lot of militaristic snobs. And I do agree that it is hard to feel compassion for a nation that have their sense of humour removed at birth and have the bare faced cheek to describe this England as 'Die land ohne Musik' (that should read as 'the country without music' sorry, my german is below par) But as Queen Victoria discovered, the best way to deal with them is with compassion, because while they may think that they are superior, we, being English, are and always were. And that is the way to get up their noses.

Ceejache 08-06-2004 14:52

But that is why it is important to show that not all flag-bearing English behave like cro-magnon man. I have grown up throughout what I suppose has been the 'height' of lager lout culture (I am 28) and I have certainly never behaved in such a manner, neither have any of my football-loving, like-a-drink-to-go-with-it friends.

Tealeaf 08-06-2004 14:54

I just complain about their beer. They don't like that.

Ceejache 08-06-2004 15:05

Why do they refer to us as 'land without music'? I know most of the 'well-known' composers were German (or from the Austro-Germanic School), whilst our 'best' are Tallis, Byrd and Handel. Also - when did they call us this? It would have to have been pre-20th century as I would consider Vaughan Williams to be amongst the best of the symphonists, Elgar had a bit of a talent also. Curious as to why?

Tealeaf 08-06-2004 15:19

Quote:

Elgar had a bit of a talent also. ?

He had a bit more than a bit. CJ.....you ever been to an American Graduation ceremony...the highlight ain't music by Gerswin or Sousa..but Elgar. The trouble is, we don't appreciate hime anywhere near enough.

Acrylic-bob 08-06-2004 15:32

I remember the quote but, alas, not the person who made it. I suppose I could find out if you really wanted to know. It comes from the second half of the ninteenth century. Tallis and Byrd were not well known then and indeed were regarded as unfashionable here too. Handel was German and so didn't count. I have the impression that at the time the comment was made because so much 'English' music was based on folk music and foreign imports from france italy and Austria/Germany. It does not appear to strike them as contradictory that Bach, Beethoven, Haydn, all took their influences from France and Italy. Or that Beethoven held the British National Anthem to be an exemplar of it's kind. or indeed that Schubert,Schumann and Mahler based much of their output on folk tunes.

you see there are loads of sticks to beat the germans with, if that is what you want to do, most of them helpfully provided by the Germans themselves. The problem with arrogance is that it makes you blind.

Acrylic-bob 08-06-2004 15:44

Here we go, I made a mistake it is 'Das' not 'Die'. i am grateful to len Mullender at Musicweb.uk.net for the following:-

The mentioned quote is the title of a book published at first in 1904 (the last edition took place in Munich 1915) by a scholar whose complete name was Oskar Adolf Hermann Schmitz. A lot of the opinions that were published in concoctions like the above mentioned were already obsolete by the time of their publication, and you are right to suspect that his "works" were mainly read (by some patriotic, music-academic circles too) out of reasons that have their origin in an overall jingoism, poisoning the most parts of Europe during this era. In fact the basic impulse to publish this kind of books in Germany (this is only one example among many others) was a chauvinistic one, and not a scientific one.
The true origin of this quote, however, lies much earlier, in 1866 - the year of Arthur Sullivan`s "Irish" - when this obstinate legend was at first expressed, and was at that time also well believed by the British themselves - with good reason.
Schmitz`s basis for his musical prejudices in comprehensively surveying British culture is another notorious German, Carl Engel, a "music scholar" residing in England at that time. To give you an impression of the language he preferred to use here is a quote out of his book "An Introduction to the Study of National Music", London 1866: "Although the rural population of England appear to sing less than those of most other European countries, it may nevertheless be supposed that they also, especially in districts somewhat remote from any large towns, must still preserve songs and dance tunes of their own inherited from their forefathers".
Translation of Scmitz's actual comments.
I have long tried to understand what kind of lack it is that manifests itself in so many English representations which have such a deadening effect. I have asked myself what is missing from theis nation. Kindness, love of people, humour or aesthetic sense? No, one can find all these attributes in england , some of them more noticeably than among ourselves. Finally I have found something which distinguishes English people from all other cultures to quite an aastonishing degree, a lack which everybody acknowledges therefore nothing new but has not been emphasised enough. The English are the only cultured nation without its own music (except street music). This does not mean that they have less sensitive ears but that their life overall is much poorer for it. To be immeersed in music, even ever so little, means being able to loose yourself. To tolerate even dis-harmonies, even to spend time with such sounds since they can be resolved in beautiful harmony, music provides wings and makes everything beautiful and fantastical seem natural

Ceejache 08-06-2004 16:07

I thought that was something else that made you blind?!

1800-1850 then. Obviously Tallis and Byrd are 250 yrs out of the equation then, and Handel somewhat... True though that at that time there were no English composers considered as great.....although I like the Savoy Operas there are in no way comparable to the rest of 19th century musical idioms, most of which were done best by the Austro-Germans. Bax and Bliss either are never really discussed at any great length when it comes to the British/English output of the late 19th century. I can see where they are coming from to that extent then - however, their was a great surge in 20th century british composers, but to be honest most of that leaves me cold - Tippet, Maxwell-Davies, Birtwistle (from Accy I know) not for me!!!

Sorry, going off topic a bit.

Ceejache 08-06-2004 16:11

Cheers for the extra info Bob. Interesting reading. Brings back memories of long nights spent writing essays, trying to decipher Hoffman and Wackenroders 'musings' on music!

Acrylic-bob 08-06-2004 17:09

I won't ask who Wackenroder is or was. But what a wonderful name. I know what you mean about the long nights. But arent Bax and Bliss usually lumped together with Vaughan Williams and British Pastoralism - so called Cow-Pat music?

Ceejache 08-06-2004 17:38

Sorry, yes stylistically they are indeed. Thing is mentally I had them down, incorrectly, as composing 50 years previous to Vaughan Williams. Not that I can remember much of Bax or Bliss's work, but from the time I listened to more 'serious' music (part though study, part though personal enjoyment) I always thought VW's work had more about it esp. Sinfonia Antartica (no.6) - I used to feel frostbiten listening to that!

Bagpuss 08-06-2004 19:43

I do believe we have slipped into another topic, could we get back to the subject please.

Mik Dickinson 08-06-2004 20:03

wow a blast of information there.Made good reading too.The point has been made they are arrogant.When living in England the patriotism was not so strongly impregnated as it is now.Since my 2 girls came in to the world well its got even stronger.
Thanks for the back up guys.

Bagpuss 08-06-2004 20:21

There's a website www.politicalcompass.org that may interest one or two of you, why don't you take the survey? You could well be surprised.

Has anyone tried the survey pointed out by "yerself", I took it and was very surprised where I am on the political compass so surprised that I did it again and got the same placement.

Mick 08-06-2004 20:34

just tried the site and ended up with guandi and nelson mandela so thats ok with me

Bagpuss 08-06-2004 20:48

According to your score Mick that means you should be voting for the Green Party in the European elections.

Mick 08-06-2004 21:04

I don't care what colour they are as long as they get something right
which is not very oftern no matter who you vote for

mez 08-06-2004 21:11

im a libertarian/authortarion sounds like me in a way not sure bout voting left though //ive just been on the political site very interesting

Bagpuss 08-06-2004 21:33

Mez I thought you had to be either a libertarian or a authoritarian, click the link to the English Party Chart to see which political party is nearest to your score.

Acrylic-bob 09-06-2004 06:09

OK back on topic again after yesterdays digressions. I watched TV last night and saw to my horror that Mastercard have jumped on the patriotism bandwagon and have hijacked the flag to flog their credit card. Using one of the memebers of the England football team from the sixties (name escapes me ) to deliver the final line "an England united, priceless! Which just about sums things up.

mez 09-06-2004 07:35

oops looks like im b.n.p. mabe i am but ?

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 08:02

I just did the test....I ended up in the top right hand corner...and I always considered myself a softy, wet liberal at heart.

Mik Dickinson 09-06-2004 08:04

The name is Bobby Charlton and i find the advert ok.One has to learn not to take evrything so seriously.I find it alright as an advert but can understand people misenterpreting the whole thing

Mik Dickinson 09-06-2004 08:05

did the test and ended up in the middle.

Ceejache 09-06-2004 08:11

That would be Bobby Charlton Acrylic. It is a bit cheap of MC and obviously the main point of the ad is to get people further in debt, but at least the sub-theme is quite a noble one.

Ceejache 09-06-2004 08:13

Did the test couple of days ago - ended up slap bang in the middle of the y-axis (lib/authoritarian) yet surprisingly more left than I thought I would.

lettie 09-06-2004 08:16

Did the test, and surprisingly ended up between Ghandi and Nelson Mandela. :confused:

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 08:26

What did you say to them, Lettie?

janet 09-06-2004 09:38

Just did the test and ended up 3 squares to the left.

yerself 09-06-2004 10:39

1 Attachment(s)
I said some of you would be surprised. I was, I was expecting to be in the top right-hand quadrant. Brings to mind the woman who was displaying a Vote Conservative poster in her window. When challenged by her neighbour and asked "I thought you always voted Labour?" she replied "Oh but I do. I didn't want to lower the tone of the neighbourhood though"

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 10:54

Here's Mine:

Tealeaf 09-06-2004 10:56

Ooops....looks like the system cannae take it!

Acrylic-bob 09-06-2004 14:39

I just did it and ende up in the same position as Ghandi ! Well there's a surprise, it can't be right, I always thought of myself as being slightly to the right of Genghis Khan.

Mick 09-06-2004 16:24

1 Attachment(s)
How's this for being Patriotic

some of you might know who owns this and he is miles away

Roy 09-06-2004 16:33

Absolutely brilliant!! I'm a bit worried about it though due to the area it lives in, but what the hell.... Great work guys, and less, isn't it about time you cleaned it - it still looks like it's been ploughing fields when you look at that towbar! :)

Less 09-06-2004 16:43

Well roy, nothing to fear from where it lives & so far as cleaning it my neighbours are most obliging because the ones that miss the flags are eventually going to clean the car with their sputum!

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2004 09:02

ooer I'm ever so slightly leaning towards Stalin.

I heard something on the radio a couple of days ago about the car flags - someone saying they could be illegal and a spokesperson from the AA saying they obscure a drivers view (how???) I think it's a shame some people are afraid to be patriotic for fear of whom they may upset or offend. What if the boot were on the other foot? (not necessarily a football boot)

mez 10-06-2004 11:36

some one has just nicked a flag off my car, cant print wot im thinking, but ill do one better & get some more //

Snow White 10-06-2004 12:57

I'm sorry... I'm with tealeaf on this one - an insult to the flag and what it represents.

Call me boring but I really do think that with a defence like ours we will be lucky to get a point. Looking at the amount of flags in Accrington and Burnley I think I am in the wrong business - should start getting my dwarfs to mass-produce them.

Up the Eng-er-land!!
Love Snow White (Flag-less)

Snow White 10-06-2004 13:03

Oh and Willow the Whisp....

I do not think anyone is against the flags - they were making sure that they are clipped on properly so they do not fly off and hit some poor cyclist!

jambutty 10-06-2004 19:20

Sorry Glasgow Guy and you Neal but the only Union Jack that you will see flying is on the jackstaff of a British warship. (The one at the pointed end at the front) What you see elsewhere is the Union Flag. Hopefully you will see it flying the right way up.

Even though my first flag of the Cross of St George was nicked off my car during the night I bought another one and it flies again and if that gets nicked I’ll get another.

Support England be it rugby, Eddie ‘the Eagle’ Edwards, football or cricket teams win or lose.

Ceejache 11-06-2004 08:22

Thats the kind of spirit we want (above)! - fairweather fans get right up my nose.

Bagpuss 11-06-2004 20:39

Just a thought how many of the so called English Asians who have just voted in the elections have a George Cross flag on their house or car to support the country they live in playing in the Euro 2004 , maybe Tebbitt had something when he talked about a cricket test !!!

Less 12-06-2004 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagpuss
Just a thought how many of the so called English Asians who have just voted in the elections have a George Cross flag on their house or car to support the country they live in playing in the Euro 2004 , maybe Tebbitt had something when he talked about a cricket test !!!

Just to let you know bagpuss i live near blackburn rd & have seen several with flags on their cars.

WillowTheWhisp 12-06-2004 15:13

I've seen taxi drivers (Asian) with St. George flags and yesterday I saw a young Asian lad wearing an England football shirt.

Bagpuss 13-06-2004 22:04

That makes a change I suppose tomorrow they will be wearing French shirts like the Brazil shirts they where wearing after the World Cup 2002 defeat.

Neal 14-06-2004 06:56

Quote:

jambutty: Sorry Glasgow Guy and you Neal but the only Union Jack that you will see flying is on the jackstaff of a British warship. (The one at the pointed end at the front) What you see elsewhere is the Union Flag. Hopefully you will see it flying the right way up.

Even though my first flag of the Cross of St George was nicked off my car during the night I bought another one and it flies again and if that gets nicked I’ll get another.

Support England be it rugby, Eddie ‘the Eagle’ Edwards, football or cricket teams win or lose.
The only flag you will see flying on a British Warship would be a Naval Jack or a Naval Ensign. The Naval Jack is just the same as the Union Jack however.....

The Civil Jack is used on civilian vessels.....if the website is correct > http://www.flags.net/UNKG.htm

Alan Gilmartin 14-06-2004 07:50

I cant believe what Im hearing, taking the flag down, Im writting this on the Queens birthday long weekend, a public holiday and they urge us to fly the flag over here, what the hell is going on over there. slowly, slowly, as they chip away, there will be nothing left of the old dart as we know it, did they all die in vein??.

Tealeaf 14-06-2004 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal
The only flag you will see flying on a British Warship would be a Naval Jack or a Naval Ensign. The Naval Jack is just the same as the Union Jack however.....

[/url]

Not if there is an Admiral on board the ship.

slater_scott 14-06-2004 10:41

I was in school when that happened and some asians nicked my flag and shoved it in a bin. Its amazing how many flags are about now though. I wonder how many of those with them on now had them in the 2002 world cup, not many i bet.

yerself 14-06-2004 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWisp
I've seen taxi drivers (Asian) with St. George flags and yesterday I saw a young Asian lad wearing an England football shirt.

Which flag do you think they'd displaying or wearing if England were playing Pakistan or India at cricket?