Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Antley Villa (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/antley-villa-4703.html)

janet 26-06-2004 09:41

Antley Villa

Well folks looks like we are losing another N.H.S dentist in the town. Antley villa will be going private in october, all n.h.s patients will recieve a letter informing them of the change in july.So it in this weeks observer, so i will be on the hunt for somewere else.

ShortStuff 26-06-2004 18:03

Re: Antley Villa

Janet - I think you'll be hunting for a long time - I went to Antley Villa last November when only them and another dentist in Clitheroe were the only practises to be taking on NHS patients!

janet 26-06-2004 18:21

Yeah! You could be right there shortstuff, i'm thinking of joining there private monthly payment plan. £10.75 a month. Dont know whether that includes all the treatment though.Anyone know anything about it?

Shane. 26-06-2004 19:48

It’s a kind of blackmail in away. If you don’t pay your £10.75 per month you don’t get your teeth done or you pay what it costs for a particular job you have done.
Dentist will be happy because they can charge what they want.
Insurance companies will be happy because they will be getting a monthly payment from your account.
We loose out again, our wages seem to be getting smaller and smaller. There are that many little hands clawing away at our accounts these days, Pensions and all that sort of stuff. There’s no end to it. Yet our pay rises hardly move.

ShortStuff 26-06-2004 21:56

I don't know what the other options are until we get the letter - but fortunately I've just paid for nearly £300 pounds worth of treatment, mostly through NHS, therefore I now only need my 6-montly check-ups, can I just pay when I go? That must be cheaper than the £129 a year will will have to fork out through the insurance plan?

Shane. 26-06-2004 23:35

I remember one time my then dentist asked me if I was working, I said that I was.
He said he could have put me a gold cap, crown or what ever I cant remember now if I wasn’t working but because I was I probably wouldn’t want to pay the proper price, which I didn’t so I had the cheaper option. He said as a joke people who are working should be out of work for a month each year then get everything for free.

lettie 27-06-2004 05:11

They did the same to me at the Whalley Rd dentists. The monthly fee does not cover expensive treatments it only covers part of the cost so you may still have to pay extra if you need treatment. Therefore I still have not found a dentist.

ellie 27-06-2004 08:48

The Clitheroe dentist is a complete butcher Shortstuff. I for one would never go back to him.

Acrylic-bob 27-06-2004 13:21

The last time I went to the dentist was in 1992, oddly enough the Antley Villa Practice,
He charged me £38.00 to tell me that there was nothing wrong with my teeth. Like I am really going to do that every six months, Sooooo NOT!

WillowTheWhisp 27-06-2004 14:53

Does this mean that people with exemption certificates (cards) will still have to pay? (Sorry if this is off topic but I have a friend who is a patient at Antley Villa and at present she doesn't have to pay because she has an exemption)

lettie 27-06-2004 15:01

Exemption certificate holders do not have to pay. One of the systems that some surgeries use is that the certificate holder pays, then claims back the full cost. None of my clients with maternity exemptions have been asked to do this recently, they have all just been treated.

WillowTheWhisp 27-06-2004 16:29

Does that still apply if the surgery is no longer taking NHS patients? Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here.

lettie 27-06-2004 16:46

Yes, it should still apply, especially if the patients are existing ones. People may have trouble finding a new dentist if they hold an exemption cert. If you don't have a dentist and have problems, ring NHS Direct, who will get you an appointment with the nearest available NHS Dentist, there may be a small charge for treatment, but a certificate holder can claim this back.

Darby 28-06-2004 04:59

Two and a half years ago I went to the Dentist at Antley Villa for emergency treatment as an EU overseas visitor. He point blank refused to treat me unless I went private and paid CASH.
I had an abcess under a tooth and he took an X-ray, and said that it could be treated with tablets.

He prescribed me 2 types of tablets, anti-biotics and pain killers, and told me to take the dose 2 of each daily. A week later I had a small heart attack. When I got back to Germany I went into the clinic for insertion of implants into my heart, I told them about the tablets and they were aghast, and said "those tablets should never be taken together, as they can cause a heart attack!!".

So much for our friend at Antley Villa. Beware is my advice.

Acrylic-bob 28-06-2004 05:29

Did you sue? I would have done.