Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Referendum is a load of crap.!! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/referendum-is-a-load-of-crap-67387.html)

Margaret Pilkington 24-06-2016 17:57

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

I don't believe it....there is an online petition calling for a second referendum as the result of this one was so close.
It has reached 119,000 signatories already so the government has to consider debating it.
I could not stand another campaign like the last one.

They are saying that us old folk have made the decisions for the younger generation.....many of whom did not get off their butt cheeks to go and vote.
Maybe we have done them a favour. We have to wait and see. There are still a lot of myths guesses and doomery out there.....none of it helpful.

Guinness 24-06-2016 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171074)
I don't believe it....there is an online petition calling for a second referendum as the result of this one was so close.
It has reached 119,000 signatories already so the government has to consider debating it.
I could not stand another campaign like the last one.

They are saying that us old folk have made the decisions for the younger generation

Yup....and doesn't that just evidence that the young are not able to understand the meaning of democracy, let alone the complexities of the EU

Margaret Pilkington 24-06-2016 18:15

Yes it does.

taddy 24-06-2016 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1171047)
You cannot put your trust in the future, because there are no guarantees...other than death and taxes.
I travel hopefully. I am a pragmatist(or at least I think I am). I deal with situations by rolling up my sleeves and doing what needs to be done....whether that is flower arranging(good stuff) or shovelling fisons(the not so good stuff).
My maxim is just get on and do it!

The comment that there are no guarantee's other than death and taxes is an old saying but to say that "I deal with situations by rolling my sleeves up and doing what needs to be done", is only applicable to your own situation, as an ex nurse/senior sister of the N.H.S. you must have come across many people who think that their only hope is that there is something better in the future, it happened to me neary fifty years ago, when after a motor cycle accident that left me in a coma at Accrington Victoria Hospiital,; (I had been married for less than 12 months at the time)

When I finally awoke, my new wife and Sister Heys of M.M.4 drummed it into me to believe in the future, three children later and in March next year after fifty years of marraige, their advice has come to be good advice.

Every one should believe that there is a future, (and I am not talking religion here.) As ever stay happy, Your's, Taddy.

Margaret Pilkington 24-06-2016 18:48

I like your story Taddy and I am really glad that things turned out in the way that they did.
When I say you cannot trust the future.....what I mean is that the future is there, you can have hopes for it, but you cannot guarantee anything that is in the future because the future is fluid, changeable.
I have faith in my ability to cope.....and that is where I place my trust.....I also trust that fate has me where it wants me to be.
I have hope for the future, but that is not the same as trust.

And I think I remember Sister Heys......she was very wise.
I am sure that when faced with patients who have life changing illnesses I have probably used similar maxims.....it is what you do to try and give comfort....you extend hope.

egg&chips 24-06-2016 19:48

I never thought that I would see the day when I valued the opinion of Londoners over the good folk of Accrington. However after something of an absence from accyweb I find myself reading the opinions of a small town. I really pray that I am wrong, but feel that many folk on here (especially those still in employment) will live to regret the exit vote. As CSLewis put it, "the dwarfs are for the dwarfs". I respect those people who have made a choice based on intelligent consideration, but have heard the braying of illogical sentiment and racism far too often today by triumphant Brexitees who have played into the hands of duplicitous Tory grandees. By Christmas I expect that both Boris Johnson and Donald Trump will have access to nuclear triggers. God help us all.

Margaret Pilkington 24-06-2016 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 1171086)
I never thought that I would see the day when I valued the opinion of Londoners over the good folk of Accrington. However after something of an absence from accyweb I find myself reading the opinions of a small town. I really pray that I am wrong, but feel that many folk on here (especially those still in employment) will live to regret the exit vote. As CSLewis put it, "the dwarfs are for the dwarfs". I respect those people who have made a choice based on intelligent consideration, but have heard the braying of illogical sentiment and racism far too often today by triumphant Brexitees who have played into the hands of duplicitous Tory grandees. By Christmas I expect that both Boris Johnson and Donald Trump will have access to nuclear triggers. God help us all.

You are entilted to the opinion that you hold....but the leave vote was precipitated by many things. The prognostications presented as facts, the outright lies(told by both sides) the dirty fighting......it all makes you lose faith in those who govern. For a long time now the people have felt that those who were elected to represent them were doing an abysmal job......they were not listening to the concerns of the electorate.

My vote to leave was considered....I looked into it very carefully.
I do not like the thought of people in Brussels (who seem to despise us) who are neither elected or accountable, can make laws for us on our little island. Laws are made in closed sessions....so we do not know how they were influenced or whether there is corruption( I know what my suspicions are)
There is no democracy in the EU...it is manipulated by the likes of Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs(why else would they bank roll the remain campaign to the tune of half a million pounds unless there was something in it for them?).
It did not help that important people in the EU issued thinly veiled threats about how we would be dealt with if we voted to leave.......allies do NOT treat their partners in this way.
It also did not help that people like John Major(who presided over Black Wednesday, and our removal from the Exchange rate mechanism....whose private life was amoral...you might think that has nothing to do with politics, but it undermines the man and the job) and Tony Blair ( a peace envoy - don't make me llaugh. He has the blood of countless men and women, sons and daughters on his hands) were wheeled out totry to convince us of the values of remaining. If either of them told me it was night I would want to go outside to check for myself.

The Common Market was sold to the country as a trading arrangement. It is no longer that...and the trade with the EU is shrinking year on year.

Maybe you consider our opinions parochial.......and those you have denigrated by saying their opinions are braying illogical sentiments and racism are entilted to their opinions too...that is what democracy is about.

I have seen no - one on here who has had a gloating (or triumphant ) attitude.
I think we are all aware that this is going to be a tough time, most of us have come through tough times in the past...and for a say in how the country is governed, then it is the price that has to be paid.

taddy 24-06-2016 20:35

The thought of Johnson , Trump and Putin, having access to the nuclear trigger codes fills me with dread but as I stated in my last post, I have faith, (not religious faith) but faith in my fellow human beings having enough sense to realise when nuclear destruction is imminent and to act accordingly but (by God I hope that I am right).

DaveinGermany 24-06-2016 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1171001)
What's with Liverpool? Voting "In":eek: Probably the scousers found the question too complicated and confusing ... the one's that can read that is.;)

Someone told them it'd affect their benefits if they voted out! :D

cashman 24-06-2016 20:44

Panic seems to win oer democracy with many who voted REMAIN "Fact" Value anyones opinion yeh want, thats also democracy, Call us small town, to me it takes a small mind to do that.:rolleyes: Thats the reason people like you lost the referendum to me, trying to scare people is exactly the mistake Cameron, Osborne, Blair,Major, all made, to numb to realise worst thing yeh can do with the British, is try to frighten em.:rolleyes:

taddy 24-06-2016 20:55

The thought of Johnson , Trump and Putin, having access to the nuclear trigger codes fills me with dread but as I stated in my last post, I have faith, (not religious faith) but faith in my fellow human beings having enough sense to realise when nuclear destruction is imminent and to act accordingly but (by God I hope that I am right).

taddy 24-06-2016 21:00

Margaret, thanks for your pm, I think that I have replied but please get back to me if you have not received it, ( I am still leaning how to use this Bill Gate's infernal machine).
Many thanks, Taddy.

Guinness 24-06-2016 21:00

Quote:

And the racist card is played...

Was listening to the thoughts of an esteemed muslim Asian doctor today.

She said that as a migrant from a non EU country she had to take tests to show that she was capable before being allowed to practice in this country....she then pointed out that a migrant doctor from an EU country did not have the same stringent checks.

Guess I'm one of those nasty racist people, because given the choice I'd have the proven black muslim female Asian cutting me open every time!

DaveinGermany 24-06-2016 21:04

Quote:

I find myself reading the opinions of a small town.

Populated by real people, with honest concerns & fears, something the self loathing lefties can't abide & shout down & deride at every turn when it doesn't fit their agenda. The UK has been slowly infiltrated & over run with this creeping insidious pestilence, fostered by various governments & their apparatus, indoctrinating our youth with the ideals of the eu whilst rewriting & denigrating the achievements of Britain.

Hhmm, I believe you're a teacher aren't you?

Margaret Pilkington 24-06-2016 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1171092)
Margaret, thanks for your pm, I think that I have replied but please get back to me if you have not received it, ( I am still leaning how to use this Bill Gate's infernal machine).
Many thanks, Taddy.

Received and replied Taddy.