Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Television Licence (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/television-licence-67942.html)

Rowlf 27-01-2016 15:44

Television Licence

I read in the paper the BBC are thinking of removing the free television licence for the over 75s. The government has washed their hands of it and are leaving it to the BBC. It is suggested they will recruit well known names to try and persuade people to contribute to the cost. Names such as Helen Mirren and Terry Wogan have been mentioned. I would imagine such folk would have no problem paying the full amount of a licence unlike most over 75s certainly in our neck of the woods. The state pension in this country is one of the worst in Europe and on top of that the older of our pensioners will not get the new higher rate when that comes in in April. To add insult to injury I see the BBC has given the Great British Bake Off judges a rise of £100,000 each. As they are already reputed to be on £500,000 I fail to see why this rise is necessary and how the BBC can justify such things at the same time as asking the old folk to cough up for a licence. What do others think?

cashman 27-01-2016 16:10

Re: Television Licence

It dont shock me, and if they get someone like Wogan, that aint a shock either,I am well aware what charity he claimed expenses from, so if they pay him its no contest:rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 27-01-2016 16:21

The Brussels Bullshtting Co-operative, needs to wind there collective necks in! If they#Re wanting to save money they should start on their own doorstep by cutting the directors & their crony mates salaries first, then their over rated "stars" & finally their bloated, box ticking, equalities & minorities unnecessary staffing numbers.

accybeme 27-01-2016 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1159462)
I read in the paper the BBC are thinking of removing the free television licence for the over 75s. The government has washed their hands of it and are leaving it to the BBC. It is suggested they will recruit well known names to try and persuade people to contribute to the cost. Names such as Helen Mirren and Terry Wogan have been mentioned. I would imagine such folk would have no problem paying the full amount of a licence unlike most over 75s certainly in our neck of the woods. The state pension in this country is one of the worst in Europe and on top of that the older of our pensioners will not get the new higher rate when that comes in in April. To add insult to injury I see the BBC has given the Great British Bake Off judges a rise of £100,000 each. As they are already reputed to be on £500,000 I fail to see why this rise is necessary and how the BBC can justify such things at the same time as asking the old folk to cough up for a licence. What do others think?

As I understand this it's not the BBC that are thinking of ending the free tv licence for the over 75's it's the government that are cutting the funding. Historically, the government has met the cost of free licence fees for over-75s, transferring the money to the BBC annually.

accyman 27-01-2016 16:59

maybe they need the extra cash to pay off all their rape victims ?

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2016 17:06

They are asking well off pensioners to contribute.
Good luck with that one.
Some people think there are a lot of rich pensioners......British pensioners are less well off than any other pensioners the the developed world.

accybeme 27-01-2016 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1159475)
They are asking well off pensioners to contribute.
Good luck with that one.
Some people think there are a lot of rich pensioners......British pensioners are less well off than any other pensioners the the developed world.

as you say good luck with that one. takes be back to school trips when well off parent were asked to subsidize the less fortunate.
whats the next target (Bus Passes?)

Rowlf 27-01-2016 17:17

You are right Accybeme The government has shifted the responsibility to the BBC so that when the licence for over 75s is no longer free they can just say 'Nothing to do with us.'
They know they would loose votes if they were seen as the baddies.

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2016 18:44

The BBC do not cater for the over 75's anyway.....well unless you count repeats.....and most of the over 75's have seen these so many times they know the words off by heart.
It is time the TV licence was scrapped anyway and the BBC started looking at how they spend the money coming in.
I do not think they provide value for money.

Rowlf 27-01-2016 19:06

Me neither. Why on earth they need umpteen 'pundits' talking about football matches I don't know and some of the programmes they make abroad cost the earth. There is one that started last night which supposedly similar to the Marigold Hotel film. Looks more like a free holiday for them to me not that I watched it. I don't have a problem with programmes such as David Attenborough makes but many of todays programmes are a complete waste of money.

Less 27-01-2016 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1159499)
The BBC do not cater for the over 75's anyway.....well unless you count repeats.....and most of the over 75's have seen these so many times they know the words off by heart.
It is time the TV licence was scrapped anyway and the BBC started looking at how they spend the money coming in.
I do not think they provide value for money.

That is spot on, the Beeb has had an easy life, yes there have been some wonderful prog's from this stable, however most seem to be repeated on Dave & gold, never cutting the cost of the licence just making more from repeat fees for whom?

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2016 19:50

Maybe when we get the demand for the licence we should tell them that we already paid for the crud they are churning out...way back in 1976.
Yes they have made some fine programs in the past, but no corporation can rest on what it did back then.
We have all had to look at how we budget and the BBC needs to be doing the same.

accyman 27-01-2016 21:23

bbc is outdated and long past its sell by date

with all the scandal associated with the company it should be left to fend for its self with no backing from government , law or the courts what so ever and if they fail to deliver a product people want then they should be left to go bust and let them that can get the job done to carry on as they do

any shows that people enjoy from the bbc could easily jump ship to another station it happens all the time in america and theres plenty of channels a show can find a home if its wanted

its an absolute disgrace that the bbc is still allowed to operate the way it does .There is no place for it in the modern world of media

hundreds of channels in the UK yet only the BBC demands we pay them money

Less 02-02-2016 09:11

Here's a bit of a coincidence, BBC are to stop transmitting BBC3 T.V. and have an 'online' service instead on the 16th February the very same day that a new channel 'W' starts up.

The strange thing is, BBC3 has up to present been repeating Eastenders at around 10pm O.K. that is no reason for the sane to watch BBC3, but it has been announced that the new channel 'W' will start transmitting Eastender repeats at 10pm Aren't the BBC lucky that some independent channel should start up and take over this crucial broadcasting to the nation, I wonder, how many other progs from BBC3 will W be getting?

Retlaw 02-02-2016 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1159517)
bbc is outdated and long past its sell by date

with all the scandal associated with the company it should be left to fend for its self with no backing from government , law or the courts what so ever and if they fail to deliver a product people want then they should be left to go bust and let them that can get the job done to carry on as they do

any shows that people enjoy from the bbc could easily jump ship to another station it happens all the time in america and theres plenty of channels a show can find a home if its wanted

its an absolute disgrace that the bbc is still allowed to operate the way it does .There is no place for it in the modern world of media

hundreds of channels in the UK yet only the BBC demands we pay them money

Your forgetting one thing that money collected is actually a licence to own a device that will received transmissions, what or where those transmissions come from has nowt to do with it, the fact that it is given to the BBC was decided Donkeys years ago, when all we had was steam radio, when the box in the corner arrived the fee was upped, and eventually the steam radio licience was dropped, I've now had the freebee for nigh on 10 years I seldom watch live TV other than the news at six, I don't think I've ever seen the end, its like a sleeping medicine. I record documentaries and such, and watch them when her indoors has gone to bed, other than that most of the stuff on the box is sh11te especially them so called soaps, I can't understand the mentallity of soap watchers, and their gullability in thinking its real.