Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 22:20   #46
God Member

Re: A minimum price on alcohol???

this is old hat ,it has been rejected months ago and being out of control in scotland its no worse than it is in england glasgow is worse because its a city and wont be worse than any inner city in england.where i live accys worse thats why im here.you dont get the usual anti social behaviour with neighbours because they get evicted straight away and sent to kilmarnock hell on earth..
Old 05-08-2010, 22:38   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
this is old hat ,it has been rejected months ago and being out of control in scotland its no worse than it is in england glasgow is worse because its a city and wont be worse than any inner city in england.where i live accys worse thats why im here.you dont get the usual anti social behaviour with neighbours because they get evicted straight away and sent to kilmarnock hell on earth..
I always thought they sent them to Coatbridge and Ardrie? Sounds like you got a better deal tham me. They keep them here.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 00:40   #48
God Member

Minimum price of say 50p per unit is on the cards.. but pubs and clubs already charge more than 50p per unit, seems to me the most concern is about youngsters getting out of order when fueled up in town centers...any minimum imposed will only affect those that buy booze from the off licence or supermarkets.
just a thought..if this comes in who gets the cash profit for any increase in the price of alcohol ?..is it the government/the sellers or both?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35   #49
Beacon of light

Spuggie, you missed the point I was trying to make......which was in my day there was an element of danger in our lives...we grew up doing things that would today be seen as dangerous...we had an enviable childhood. That no longer exists today and I wonder if some of the danger of growing up that we experienced, is vital to healthy development.....maybe that is why young folk want to get their kicks doing drugs and alcohol.
I don't know.
What I do know, is that it will be the people of SamF's generation who will have the unenviable job of working out a solution.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:16   #50
Resting in Peace

I think one of the problems today is that brewers are tailor making drink to tempt younger people into drinking. When the people of my age group started going into pubs (not many clubs in those days) we had to make do with beer Mild, Mixed or bitter, there wasn't even that much lager knocking about in those days, well not draught that is, and the girls, if they were luck had the likes of Babycham or Cherry B, now the shelves are full of very strong, what I would call pop, or alcopops like WKD or Breezers and the rest, we drank ale at about 3.7% now these bottles are 5 or 6% and another thing which is worrying is just what these strong drinks are going to have on peoples health further down the line
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Spuggie, you missed the point I was trying to make......which was in my day there was an element of danger in our lives...we grew up doing things that would today be seen as dangerous...we had an enviable childhood. That no longer exists today and I wonder if some of the danger of growing up that we experienced, is vital to healthy development.....maybe that is why young folk want to get their kicks doing drugs and alcohol.
I don't know.
What I do know, is that it will be the people of SamF's generation who will have the unenviable job of working out a solution.

I think I do have a grasp of the point. Might be wrong. Today kids feel caged in by a society that loves to tell them not to do this that and the other. The urge to explore and try something different is so curtailed that they feel shackled. When they get a chance they try and make up for it. Its rebellion against what they see as oppressive.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:51   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think one of the problems today is that brewers are tailor making drink to tempt younger people into drinking. When the people of my age group started going into pubs (not many clubs in those days) we had to make do with beer Mild, Mixed or bitter, there wasn't even that much lager knocking about in those days, well not draught that is, and the girls, if they were luck had the likes of Babycham or Cherry B, now the shelves are full of very strong, what I would call pop, or alcopops like WKD or Breezers and the rest, we drank ale at about 3.7% now these bottles are 5 or 6% and another thing which is worrying is just what these strong drinks are going to have on peoples health further down the line

Now there might be the biggest issue. Promoting with all the razzamataz of the adverts these very strong drinks. It comes back to the disposable income senario were they can afford these kind of drinks. Throw in supermarket special offers and the scene is set. The fact that all the people they see as heroes in the celeb world getting blitzed dosnt help either. It has become in a way fashionable to be like celebs for a minority. Yet even those with sense not to overdo it come under extreme pressure to be part of the crowd. I am glad I aint a teen up here as it would send me loopy.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:32   #53
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I think I do have a grasp of the point. Might be wrong. Today kids feel caged in by a society that loves to tell them not to do this that and the other. The urge to explore and try something different is so curtailed that they feel shackled. When they get a chance they try and make up for it. Its rebellion against what they see as oppressive.

yep, that was the point I was trying to make......had to clarify it just in case you were in any doubt

There has always been a degree of rebellion in growing up though, today it is expressed differently.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:48   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
yep, that was the point I was trying to make......had to clarify it just in case you were in any doubt

There has always been a degree of rebellion in growing up though, today it is expressed differently.

Brain aint working right at the mo so a bit slow on the uptake. Esp at night.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 13:32   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Spot on that Jaysay!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 18:36   #56
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
bang on jaysay IMHO, its a similar thing as to why many young brits are such knobs abroad, they sup much stronger draught, much bigger measures of spirits, n think they can sup the same amount that makes em stupid oer here, result "Hospital" "Local Nick" "Unconcious Haze" still it makes the landlords a euro or two.
Old 06-08-2010, 19:31   #57
Senior Member+

Good views on this, personally I have never gone out to get legless and start a fight/argument and do not see the pleasure in it. Maybe its the way that you are brought up and the surroundings of your home life but nothing can justify the behavour of some of these young people.
I enjoy a drink when I aint working and also like to go to the pub, must admit I do sometimes get a bit tipsy but I would never cause trouble. I dont agree with putting the price of beer up just for the well behaved of us to suffer, I think harder punishment needed for those who cause the trouble would be best, not just "sleep it off" in a cell over night and giving a warning for them to go out again the next night and do it all again. Just my thoughts............................
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 20:29   #58
God Member

If something is not done then we will see more of this:

BBC News - Drunk boy, 14, pulled from Dunblane river

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:06   #59
Common Sense Member

The trouble is that it's only really a tiny minority that get absolutely wrecked and cause trouble and that's always been the case.

The brewing shed at Rishton Towers is being prepped in advance of this catastrophic ruling. If I have to give up the delight of only paying £1.40 for a pint of draught in my WMC then I will not be a happy chap. There is never ANY trouble in the club even with prices that low but all the members will suffer thanks to the media blowing things out of proportion and Westminster jumping on the bandwagon.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:30   #60
God Member

PARTY AT RISHTON TOWERS.

REAL ALE WILL BE SERVED BY THE HOST.

TRANSPORT WILL BE ARRANGED FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TOO MUCH TO DRINK.

ONLY RESTRICTION IS YOU HAVE TO BE OVER 35

19:30 TILL LATE BRING YOUR OWN GLASS OR TANKARED.

Sorry Ken couldnt resist.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..