Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 18:59   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

So Miles dont know it all either.
Old 02-01-2014, 21:11   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Did no one ever ask you for any input Retlaw ? Your obviously very knowledgable in this area. You would think people would ask the experts ?
The only connection to that committee is thro my daughter, if I attended they would bring the police in to eject me, I am too out spoken to put up with some of the tripe dressers they have on that committee, apart from what they've read in Bill Turners books (if they have read them or just gone on the internet) they have very little knowledge of the events leading up to and during WW1, and during that war.
Without Bill Turners years of research into the Accrington Pals, none of these events would be taking place.
Bill Turner and I did a commemoration to the 90th anniversary of the Accrington Pals in 2006, NO Committee, NO working parties, Just Bill and I with the help of the curator of the Haworth Art Gallery.
If Bill was still alive he would have sorted this lot out in no time.

Sadly Bill died on July 5th 2007, 91 years to the date the Pals were relieved from the trenches after the battle of the Somme.
cmonstanley likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 23:31   #33
Senior Member+

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
The problem is, once elected, common sense seems to disappear, along with ethics, morals etc....
Perhaps I wasn't clear with what I said. Councillors have taken a back seat. The public are running the committee and arrangements. Some times you're too clever by half!

As was reported in the Observer, Ruth Turner was the person who chose the photos, the wife of the great late local historian Bill Turner for whom we have a lot to thank for his work. (As well as Walter and Andrew Jackson amongst others).
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:17   #34
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I believe a committee with a couple of councillors are sorting out the commemorations and the photos came from respected member of the committee.
There is no mention of Councillors taking a back seat in your original post. There is no mention of the general public either. I have copied it above for you.
So no you were not very clear

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19   #35
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
There is no mention of Councillors taking a back seat in your original post. There is no mention of the general public either. I have copied it above for you.

So no you were not very clear

It's just his way of politically back peddling and putting some distance between himself and the Councillors from responsibility for mistakes.
He has put that were it belongs, squarely onto the shoulders of the volunteers.
They don't have votes that need looking after.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 22:09   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It's just his way of politically back peddling and putting some distance between himself and the Councillors from responsibility for mistakes.
He has put that were it belongs, squarely onto the shoulders of the volunteers.
They don't have votes that need looking after.
My 'couple of councillors' was a response to a suggestion that committee = council committee.

Less; what a silly response (but predictable LOL). No one on it thinks that. Your mind has run away with your prejudice.
Old 10-01-2014, 22:28   #37

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Quote:
My 'couple of councillors' was a response to a suggestion that committee = council committee.

Less; what a silly response (but predictable LOL). No one on it thinks that. Your mind has run away with your prejudice.

Well I do feel honoured, it's been such a long time since you responded to my posts, but then I suppose that's because I'm in your 95% of Hyndburn voters that can't be trusted with any form of referendum.
A silly response? Of course it was, that was all it deserved, prejudiced? No not at all, I dislike all forms of incompetence not just this particular committees. (I'm being inclusive here, both your and my own natural traits of having perfected this talent should never be ignored).
Old 12-01-2014, 16:46   #38
Senior Member+

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Look Less. My efforts are towards making Hyndburn a better place. Not get wrapped up in the personal bollocks.
Old 12-01-2014, 16:59   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
bollocks.

Order. Order.

The Honorable Member for Hyndburn must refrain from using language he wouldn't use in the House!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:01   #40
Beacon of light

A dignified response would have been not to respond in such a manner.
sparkie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:04   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
A dignified response would have been not to respond in such a manner.
A dignified response would have been to not respond at all.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 17:04   #42

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Quote:

Oh deary me, my MP is upset with me, well that's ok I don't mind.
I believe you Graham when you say you want to make Hyndburn better.
I also think you meant it when you said 95% of us can't be trusted with a referendum, consider this though, if by the same token we aren't competent enough to do that, then 95% of us that bother to vote aren't competent enough to choose the right man when voting either.
Now, perhaps you should stop making personal posts to me and get back to generalising to the masses.
After all, it wouldn't do your political image any good to be seen losing an open argument to a fool that only posts in a silly fashion, now would it?

But may I remind you that it was you that started talking personal bollocks with me.

Quote:
Look Less. My efforts are towards making Hyndburn a better place. Not get wrapped up in the personal bollocks.

Last edited by Less; 12-01-2014 at 17:09.
Old 12-01-2014, 17:13   #43
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Order. Order.

The Honorable Member for Hyndburn must refrain from using language he wouldn't use in the House!
Well that's alright then, because they all talk Bollox in the House.
Old 12-01-2014, 19:11   #44
God Member

Quote:
Your mind has run away with your prejudice.
Hey diddle diddle ... is that anything like the dish running away with the spoon Maybe you meant to say "Your prejudice has run away with your mind?" Yes, that's better. Perhaps you should hold off on your insults until they make more sense. Good thing is, from your point of view anyway, now that Less's mind has absconded, he might just vote for you.
Less likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 21:04   #45
Senior Member+

ACCRINGTON's NEW BANNER

Just expressive Anglo Saxon (Glitterbest v The Crown, 1977) but certainly not intemperate. Just everyday language and importantly to the point.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..