Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 09:42   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I was meaning more between themselves as there are bound to be party splits on this. My own stance would appear to be different to Ed Miliband, for example. As far as the general public are concerned, less than half actually vote in elections and I would imagine that many people don't fully understand what AV entails.

The situation we are in nationally is potentially what we could get countrywide - people in power that fewer people voted for and it smacks to me of a back door way for runners up to gain control. If someone gets more votes than someone else, however small the numbers or however narrow the margin, then they should win in my opinion.
Sorry Ken got the wrong impression, If we went to a AV system we would have more coalition governments, with people like the BNP Green EDL even the MRLP holding the balance of power, take a look what happens in Italy, it would be more destabilising than anything really, plus the fact that come May 5th I would be very surprised if the overall turnout would be over 50%
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I'll be voting for it. If a seat is being contested by 2 people then fair enough the person with the majority of votes is the winner. However if more than 2 people are standing it's fairly common that the winner with the most votes does not actually have the majority of the votes.
Candidates can win under AV without gaining over 50% of the vote too.

The people that come 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the popular vote shouldn't end up being elected.

I'll be voting no but it's hardly a burning issue.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Don't suppose it really matters in all honesty, the continual low turn outs at varying levels of polling show the publics utter disillusionment & general feeling of alienation from the politicians, parties & policies enforced upon them throughout the land.

Until everyone eligible to vote partakes there will be no true representation of how people truly feel about the style & art of government administered upon them. Far too many turn away because they feel they aren't listened to & until that root problem is sorted no matter what form of voting is in place there won't be a true reflection of the populaces attitudes or willingness to subjugate themselves to a particular form of governance.

If you need any sort of confirmation check the Poll referring to this very thread in relation to the numbers partaking to those who've read & are aware of this issue. Now take that limited cross section of a voting public & then spread it UK wide ! Pretty much sums up the apathy & diffidence of the population.

To summarise, what needs to change is not necessarily the style of voting, but more the lack of voting participation. Personally I'd make it compulsory, yes there'd be resentment & folk'd probably turn that resentment into protest & spoilt votes, but at least it'd be 100% turnout, so there'd be no come backs, it'd be a case of you had the choice, no one to blame or hide behind.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 19:52   #19
God Member

im still undecided lookslike it could be a resounding no
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01   #20
Resting in Peace

The annoying thing is that every household will be getting a 8 page booklet to explain both systems would guess it would consist of seven and a half pages on the PV system and a couple of lines saying VOTE FOR ONLY ONE CANDIDATE, PLACE A X NEXT TO THE CANDIDATE OF YOUR CHOISE, the old system seems to work for me
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
im still undecided lookslike it could be a resounding no
Of course, it'll be no (from those who bother to vote) but that's not the point of the exercise. It'll have achieved its purpose because the Tories will have kept their side of the bargain with the LibDems and will thus be able to keep them on side for their next round of cost cutting. And the whole expensive business will have been paid for by us mugs who have been told by this same government to tighten our belts!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04   #22
Beacon of light

I would much prefer a referendum on our continued membership of that costly farce that is the EU.........I won't hold my breath though.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:55   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would much prefer a referendum on our continued membership of that costly farce that is the EU.........I won't hold my breath though.
Wouldn't if I were you, Margaret, it could be bad for your health. Perhaps an Accyweb politico could tell us why they won't give us a referendum on the EU? Sssshhhh...
Old 03-04-2011, 13:04   #24
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Wouldn't if I were you, Margaret, it could be bad for your health. Perhaps an Accyweb politico could tell us why they won't give us a referendum on the EU? Sssshhhh...
As you well know I'm very busy with local issues at the moment so this isn't really one for me to answer.

However, whichever side of the fence you sit on regarding Europe, it has to be admitted that the lack of a referendum for the public on membership of the EU is getting increasingly harder to justify considering the number of times it has been requested and even hinted at in the run up to the last General Election.

Compare that to the reasons for the referendum on the Alternative Voting system...

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 13:13   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
As you well know I'm very busy with local issues at the moment so this isn't really one for me to answer.
Karma sent for making me laugh on a wet Sunday afternoon (and for the rest of your reply too, mate!)
Old 03-04-2011, 18:07   #26
Full Member+

I don't see any point in voting at all. Recent adminstrations, including the current lot, have shown that the will of the people is just there to be ignored, the primary case being our continued piggy-bank membership of the rotten European Union which continues to take us all for a ride. Given the choice of our continued membership in a referendum is the one and only reason that would encourage me to consider voting again.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 18:14   #27
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I don't see any point in voting at all. Recent adminstrations, including the current lot, have shown that the will of the people is just there to be ignored...
The very attitude I'm keen to get rid of on both sides of the fence.

Local elections are completely different from national politics and make absolutely no change to those in power in Westminster. Make your councillors accountable, phone them, hassle them when something isn't right in your town. We're not here just to beg for your votes every four years and it would pay for a few more councillors to realise this.

Please vote in your local elections, it's the only voice you have.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:05   #28
Beacon of light

It really doesn't help when national politicians like Ed Milliband give the impression that local politics is the same as national politics.

I do wish that people could see that there is a vast difference when voting in local elections.
In national elections vote for the party that you feel most closely aligned to......the one which reflects your own personal core values.

In local elections vote for the person who you feel can do the best job for your own locality, regardless of the party to which they belong.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 19:20   #29
God Member

wihhout europe we have no defence with this administration..
Old 03-04-2011, 19:31   #30
God Member

It's a vote that has been a long time coming and if it is a no then it will be a long time coming back round again.

I think AV could work even if it makes the politicians sit up particulary in marginals and think well I have got to work on this knowing that they will have to perhaps look more than there normal party marginalised policies to work more for the broader electorate.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..