Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2011, 09:24   #91
Beacon of light

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I get what you're driving at Marg but I must strongly disagree. There is much more to local politics than that and 'sending the message to MPs in Westminster' is probably the last thing that should be on your mind when you cross your ballot sheet.

I would always, always advocate voting for the candidate who will do the most for your town or village in any local election. It is very little use to anyone voting for a Tory candidate simply because we have a Tory government if that candidate is useless, the same being equally true with a government of any colour.

I would urge all of you to vote for the person who will do the best job in your area, not the one who happens to be wearing the 'correct' badge.
Ken, I somehow think you have missed the point...maybe I waffled on a bit much.
That was exactly what I was saying. Local politics are a different ball game altogether and should not be viewed in the way a general election is viewed.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 25-04-2011 at 09:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-04-2011, 09:29   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That was exactly what I was saying. Local politics are a different ball game altogether and should not be viewed in the way a general election is viewed.
Think you'll find Margaret that the Party in opposition at Westminster always does better at local elections whichever party it is, think its called human nature
Old 25-04-2011, 09:48   #93
Common Sense Member

Quote:
My apologies, I thought you were implying that people should vote with whatever government we have.

I would urge you all to look at your area and then look at the election promises that are being made. Make local representatives accountable and ask yourself whether the promises you have heard in the past have been fulfilled.

I have three years of my own tenure left to prove to people that I was the right choice in 2010. If it turns out that people think I was not then I will expect defeat, not because I'm wearing the wrong rosette but because I didn't work hard enough.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 09:57   #94
Beacon of light

I was advocating that people think...and think clearly, about what they want for their own local area. What issues are there? How can they be sorted out? Is the man(or woman) canvassing your vote, aware of the issues....have they got a proven track record, are they up to the task?????
If the person trying to get your vote has no answers to these questions, then clearly they cannot perform the job that needs doing and you should not vote for them....whatever coloured rosette they are wearing.

Ken, I think we are both singing from the same hymnbook, and are both sitting in the same church.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 10:03   #95
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Ken, I think we are both singing from the same hymnbook, and are both sitting in the same church.
And not for the first time.

What we really need is for councillors to interact much more with the electorate so that they can see what function they perform in the grand scheme of things. So many of the residents in Rishton still think that we had a Labour council until last May because the government was Labour.

A crash course in local politics will be included in my next letter to the residents in May.

Old 25-04-2011, 15:51   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
My apologies, I thought you were implying that people should vote with whatever government we have.

I would urge you all to look at your area and then look at the election promises that are being made. Make local representatives accountable and ask yourself whether the promises you have heard in the past have been fulfilled.

I have three years of my own tenure left to prove to people that I was the right choice in 2010. If it turns out that people think I was not then I will expect defeat, not because I'm wearing the wrong rosette but because I didn't work hard enough.
The Tory candidate couldn't even call personally - sent an acolyte, so how could we determine what the position was on anything unless we asked pre-determined questions?
Mind you, other than Ken calling some weeks ago we haven't even had a flyer from Labour.
Old 25-04-2011, 16:40   #97
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The Tory candidate couldn't even call personally - sent an acolyte, so how could we determine what the position was on anything unless we asked pre-determined questions?
Mind you, other than Ken calling some weeks ago we haven't even had a flyer from Labour.
You're currently at Norden View, Barrie, a highly exclusive area of Rishton and worthy of best bib and tucker. Leaflet on standby.... I have to watch my appearance these days, particularly as one of the Conservative candidate's supporters branded me 'common' for using Facebook to link to my political blog.

What a proud moment that was, I am finally one of the common people too!

Old 25-04-2011, 17:54   #98
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
branded me 'common'

Yep, ya Pheasant !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 18:05   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You're currently at Norden View, Barrie, a highly exclusive area of Rishton and worthy of best bib and tucker. Leaflet on standby.... I have to watch my appearance these days, particularly as one of the Conservative candidate's supporters branded me 'common' for using Facebook to link to my political blog.

Common asa muck Ken
Old 25-04-2011, 18:15   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Same wi me Barrie Labour sent somebody else top my door (which is strange as they done usually bother, think they know its a waste of time)Couldn't understand why Labour would canvass me and of course as soon as I heard the words I'm canvasing for John!!!!!!!the door was shut, I was having a very bad day health wise and was annoyed at being dragged to the door. Then I started to think about it and started to wonder, could it have been an Accy Webber, and I was right it was, as I was abruptly told on Facebook later. I can only say that if Clare had let me know she was canvasing in Immanuel that afternoon she was would have been quite welcome to come in for a brew, if I could have managed to make one that is
Old 26-04-2011, 00:11   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:

Join the club Mate, despite what a lot of people may think, it is pretty exclusive
Old 26-04-2011, 06:04   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I think a local politician, who uses new technologies to communicate with the people they represent, and is prepared to speak their mind, makes you anything but common.

In Hyndburn that very nearly makes you unique.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 08:48   #103
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Join the club Mate, despite what a lot of people may think, it is pretty exclusive
Na Barrie, I would think your not the only Plastic Manc in Rishton
Old 26-04-2011, 11:34   #104

Isn't the point of democracy to give us a government which broadly represents the views of the people? An election isn't a race. It isn't a competition. Very few governments have had an overall majority of votes. Under the present system, if one party gained 626 votes more than the other parties (one vote in each constituency) then it could, theoretically, win all the seats in the Commons. Is that logical or fair? AV would prevent that. Equally, you don't have to express a preference if you do not wish to do so. You can, if you prefer, just vote for one candidate.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 11:40   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whats the point of all this? it aint rocket science as Balbus says yeh can just choose 1 candidate, be honest how many Labour/Tory voters will pick a second choice? not very many i would wager.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..