Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: what will you vote on the 5th of may
yes 12 27.91%
no 25 58.14%
undecided 3 6.98%
wont vote 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2011, 17:58   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: alternative vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whats the point of all this? it aint rocket science as Balbus says yeh can just choose 1 candidate, be honest how many Labour/Tory voters will pick a second choice? not very many i would wager.
Totally agree cashy can you actually see me or Mossy picking Labour/Tory as forth fifth sixth or twenty second place on a ballot paper, it just wouldn't happen
Old 26-04-2011, 20:34   #107
Beacon of light

Cashy, you are right in one respect, but this will only work if everyone does the same thing and there will be some who will follow the letter of the law.......and something that hasn't actually been made clear...if you do choose only one candidate, would your vote be discarded as a 'spoiled vote'....if that is the case then it casts a whole different complexion on things.

The political parties need to tighten up their acts and attack the apathy that is so prevalent among voters......mainly because of the dishonesty with which politicians of all parties are regarded.
You won't get more people to vote by making the system more complicated, more open to manipulation and back room deals......we already see politicians as Snake oil salesmen.....with their hands firmly dipped into our back pockets.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 21:42   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, you are right in one respect, but this will only work if everyone does the same thing and there will be some who will follow the letter of the law.......and something that hasn't actually been made clear...if you do choose only one candidate, would your vote be discarded as a 'spoiled vote'....if that is the case then it casts a whole different complexion on things.

The political parties need to tighten up their acts and attack the apathy that is so prevalent among voters......mainly because of the dishonesty with which politicians of all parties are regarded.
You won't get more people to vote by making the system more complicated, more open to manipulation and back room deals......we already see politicians as Snake oil salesmen.....with their hands firmly dipped into our back pockets.
Dont think it would need everyone Margaret,to demonstrate what a farce this A,V. is, hence why i said not many would actually choose another party, cos i credit most folk wi more sense, perhaps i'm wrong? time will tell if it happens.
Old 26-04-2011, 22:09   #109
God Member

Quote:

Why do politicians need "to tighten up thier act" ? it's down to the individual wether or not they decide to vote..the dishonesty of politics has been around since cavemen times.. it is the lazy and indifferent attitude of people who live in a relevantly prosperous society who don't vote..making the voting system "more exciting" is rubbish.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 08:10   #110
Beacon of light

Why is it down to the individual, and whether or not they choose to vote?(are you alluding to me in this statement? If you are, then say so....I have all my own teeth, you do not need to mince your words...and I have already explained my rationale for not voting..many times, if you care to read it).
You state that dishonesty has been around since caveman times...what evidence have you to support this...were you around then?

What my comment was meant to convey was, that people have lost faith in their ability to affect how the country is run, by exercising their voting privilege.....they vote but their voice is lost in the dishonesty of the politicians action(or in some cases inaction).

The electorate are far more questioning than they were in my fathers day, the media is far more manipulative than it was years ago......politicians act like celebrities instead of what they truly should be....that is, the servant of those who elected them.

If AV is taken as the way forward then it won't make politics more exciting, it will make voting more complicated(and that will turn off even more of the electorate), it will take longer to determine who runs the country, and it may be someone who you wouldn't vote for in a million years who ends up running the country.

It still isn't clear whether if AV is adopted, and you vote for just one candidate, whether it would count as a spoiled vote.
Mancie.....unlike you, I am not shackled to any particular party....I do not follow a dogma......I use my critical thinking skills to choose who will get my vote....and if no-one fits the bill then conscience forbids me from voting for the next best thing, second best is never best.
Old 27-04-2011, 08:42   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Why is it down to the individual, and whether or not they choose to vote?(are you alluding to me in this statement? If you are, then say so....I have all my own teeth, you do not need to mince your words...and I have already explained my rationale for not voting..many times, if you care to read it).
You state that dishonesty has been around since caveman times...what evidence have you to support this...were you around then?

What my comment was meant to convey was, that people have lost faith in their ability to affect how the country is run, by exercising their voting privilege.....they vote but their voice is lost in the dishonesty of the politicians action(or in some cases inaction).

The electorate are far more questioning than they were in my fathers day, the media is far more manipulative than it was years ago......politicians act like celebrities instead of what they truly should be....that is, the servant of those who elected them.

If AV is taken as the way forward then it won't make politics more exciting, it will make voting more complicated(and that will turn off even more of the electorate), it will take longer to determine who runs the country, and it may be someone who you wouldn't vote for in a million years who ends up running the country.

It still isn't clear whether if AV is adopted, and you vote for just one candidate, whether it would count as a spoiled vote.
Mancie.....unlike you, I am not shackled to any particular party....I do not follow a dogma......I use my critical thinking skills to choose who will get my vote....and if no-one fits the bill then conscience forbids me from voting for the next best thing, second best is never best.
It cant be a spoiled vote Margaret, by only voting for one candidate you have made your own personal choice, at the moment we have first past the post, with one person one vote, what AV will do will allow a vote to be counted numerous times, to me that just isn't democracy
Old 27-04-2011, 08:45   #112

Voting for one candidate is permissible in AV - it does not spoil your ballot paper. You only express a preference if you wish to do so. It prevents candidates being elected who have more people against them than for them.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 10:08   #113
Beacon of light

thank you for that information John and Balbus.......I still won't be voting for a change to AV......it is a very falwed system.You are right about it not being democracy John...One man(or woman)...One vote.

Personally I struggle to find one politician in which to invest my trust...so I would have a hard time trying to place who I thought was second least dishonest.
Old 27-04-2011, 10:22   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
thank you for that information John and Balbus.......I still won't be voting for a change to AV......it is a very falwed system.You are right about it not being democracy John...One man(or woman)...One vote.

Personally I struggle to find one politician in which to invest my trust...so I would have a hard time trying to place who I thought was second least dishonest.
If ya lived in Ossy Margaret you'd always have PB
Old 27-04-2011, 11:20   #115
Beacon of light

Trust PB...John...what are you saying?
I would rather gouge out my own eyeballs with a rusty nail.
The thought of that makes me shudder......not the gouging, but the trusting PB.
aaaaaaargh(runs of screaming and frothing at the mouth).
Old 27-04-2011, 17:54   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Trust PB...John...what are you saying?
I would rather gouge out my own eyeballs with a rusty nail.
The thought of that makes me shudder......not the gouging, but the trusting PB.
aaaaaaargh(runs of screaming and frothing at the mouth).
In the words of David Cameron, calm down, calm down,
Old 27-04-2011, 18:03   #117
Beacon of light

I need to......now you have put that thought into my head.
Old 27-04-2011, 18:24   #118
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
In the words of David Cameron, calm down, calm down,
I think you'll find it was Ga' Ba' & Te' who said it Jay !

DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 18:26   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think you'll find it was Ga' Ba' & Te' who said it Jay !

Cameron said it to Angel Eagles during Prime Ministers Question Time today Dave
Old 27-04-2011, 18:56   #120
Beacon of light

And seemingly, caused a bit of an uproar.
Angela Eagles won't have liked that one little bit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..