Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Animals killed for training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Criticise the Government that put them there, you'll get no arguments, criticise the troops, you're on a slippery slope covered with your own regrets.
Don't tempt me less

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31   #77
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Don't tempt me less
Feel free to be tempted but, please, don't hide a threat behind a winky smiley.

Do you not think that sitting at your desk just looking at one almighty cock-up of a thread to be just a little obsessive?
The rest of us get on with other things, why not give it up as a bad job? You are not going to salvage any of your broken pride by showing yourself up even further.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34   #78

Quote:
Sorry,but I can't change my beliefs C.
Of course you can. Anyone can change their belief if they are presented with a convincing opinion.

It would be hard work - but I bet you could convince me to turn vegetarian if you knew what to say.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34   #79
Senior Member+

Why is it only military medics are trained in this 'controversial' way,why not teach all our docs if it helps save life's?

password--Accyweb
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40   #80

Quote:
Why is it only military medics are trained in this 'controversial' way,why not teach all our docs if it helps save life's?
How many Doctors are ex-military, dummy?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:44   #81
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Of course you can. Anyone can change their belief if they are presented with a convincing opinion.

It would be hard work - but I bet you could convince me to turn vegetarian if you knew what to say.
Fair play,maybe I've just not heard a "convincing opinion" yet,even with all the hard work some members have put into their comments.

password--Accyweb
Old 04-03-2014, 12:46   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
How many Doctors are ex-military, dummy?
How many are not,(deleted due to forum rules)?

password--Accyweb
Old 04-03-2014, 12:57   #83

Quote:
Fair play,maybe I've just not heard a "convincing opinion" yet,even with all the hard work some members have put into their comments.
You neatly avoided my little trap.

I live up the road from an abbatoir. The animals being "processed" walk in a fenced line to their deaths, knowing what's coming. They scream, and defecate and try to escape, before watching the worker put a bolt gun to their head. And this is all to put a nice little skrink-wrapped piece of meat in your fridge. No anaesthesia there.

These danish pigs suffer no knowledge of their fate, and no pain. And this is all to help increase the chance of survival of a battlefield soldier or (when the medic's tour of duty is over) a drive-by victim in the inner city.

If you're a vegetarian you'll probably get less friction by starting a thread on how inhuman it is to eat meat. If you do eat meat, Well then, that would make you a hypocrite.

(I'm not a vegetarian, BTW.)

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:58   #84
Beacon of light

Quote:
You obviously have not really taken onboard much of what has been said.
You keep on stating that this is a controversial issue - it is only controversial when you do not subscribe to it.
It makes sense to me. I can see the benefits, and they outweigh the drawbacks.
Training that the military receive is also used in the NHS. Research papers are freely available...and it is inevitable that skills learnt in the theatres of war will ultimately benefit trauma victims.

Many surgeons are members of the TA and regularly have tours of duty in places where conflicts are taking place

And I agree with Studio25...given convincing arguments you can change your mind about issues...the only time that this is impossible is if you have a closed mind which is unreceptive to different concepts.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 13:02   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Not true...the loss of any member diminshes us.
That would be "Devotions upon Emergent Occasions: Meditation XVll."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 13:05   #86
Beacon of light

Quote:
Putting comments on here cannot by any stretch of the imagination be considered as hard work.
You cannot be convinced of something if you do not want to be convinced, or if you are not open to a convincing explanation.
I am done with this thread.
I have said all I want to say and it is becoming one of those circular discussions which goes nowhere.
Accyexplorer, if you put up contentious threads, things which you might consider will stir up controversy(whether that be real, imagined or manufactured) then you have to be prepared for views which are at a variance to yours.....and accept the points made in honesty by other forum members.
I'm done!
Less likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 13:10   #87
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You obviously have not really taken onboard much of what has been said.
You keep on stating that this is a controversial issue - it is only controversial when you do not subscribe to it.
It makes sense to me. I can see the benefits, and they outweigh the drawbacks.
Training that the military receive is also used in the NHS. Research papers are freely available...and it is inevitable that skills learnt in the theatres of war will ultimately benefit trauma victims.

Many surgeons are members of the TA and regularly have tours of duty in places where conflicts are taking place

And I agree with Studio25...given convincing arguments you can change your mind about issues...the only time that this is impossible is if you have a closed mind which is unreceptive to different concepts.
Can these medics not do their "tests" on say test tube meat or something though it's 2014 not 1950s.
Surely with all our medical technology there are alternatives to live pigs.

Maybe I'm just unreceptive to different concepts

password--Accyweb
Old 04-03-2014, 13:17   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
You neatly avoided my little trap.

I live up the road from an abbatoir. The animals being "processed" walk in a fenced line to their deaths, knowing what's coming. They scream, and defecate and try to escape, before watching the worker put a bolt gun to their head. And this is all to put a nice little skrink-wrapped piece of meat in your fridge. No anaesthesia there.

These danish pigs suffer no knowledge of their fate, and no pain. And this is all to help increase the chance of survival of a battlefield soldier or (when the medic's tour of duty is over) a drive-by victim in the inner city.

If you're a vegetarian you'll probably get less friction by starting a thread on how inhuman it is to eat meat. If you do eat meat, Well then, that would make you a hypocrite.

(I'm not a vegetarian, BTW.)
How do you know for sure that they have 'no knowledge of their fate' or suffer any 'pain'?

password--Accyweb
Old 04-03-2014, 13:19   #89

Quote:
Can these medics not do their "tests" on say test tube meat or something though it's 2014 not 1950s.
Surely with all our medical technology there are alternatives to live pigs.

Maybe I'm just unreceptive to different concepts
Same question as yesterday, just being served up in a different wrapper.

You lack imagination as well as wit.
Old 04-03-2014, 13:22   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
Same question as yesterday, just being served up in a different wrapper.

You lack imagination as well as wit.
And your full of wit (well at least something that rhymes with it)

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..