Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2004, 13:31   #1
Senior Member+

Thumbs down Another Council Blunder

This morning i went to the town hall to inform them that i had not yet recieved my council tax bill, i was worried in case they sent me a letter saying my payment was overdue. I was told not to bother about it as 30,000 council tax bills that should have been hand delivered was sent to the royal mail to be delivered by post.Who could possibly make a mistake like that. No doubt we all will be paying for it.
Old 13-04-2004, 13:57   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Another Council Blunder

Went to pay mine today and the queue was enormous. There was only 1 woman on her own at the payments section. 2 women were discussing this in the queue and said that some people had been laid off, and that they were going to scrap the payments section and have everybody pay by direc debit or payment card (by telephone) There were no notices to this effect, but they screwed up my direct debit last time and tried to blame the bank. The bank showed me all the set up which was definately in place, as the council had already taken 1 payment, then didn't bother taking any more. I ended up owing a fortune, as the reminder letters system wasn't then in place (it's a few years ago) Remember paying it in the smallest possible change....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 14:06   #3
Senior Member+

Lettie, i signed up for a swipe card to pay it monthly, you just take it to the post office, i pay my gas, electric and water payments this way as it's easier i get my benefit in one hand then give it back to them to pay bills.
Old 13-04-2004, 17:48   #4
Senior Member+

I will have to put mine on direct debit too,I only get 45 mins for lunch not 45 hours!It is a stupid and ineffecient system,on a par with receiving only one bin bag....don't get me started!
Old 13-04-2004, 19:42   #5
Accrington Web Mascot

Janet - I've got one of the Council Tax payment cards too. Really easy cos you can go to a post office - which do open on Saturday mornings, unlike the Council Tax office. I didn't fancy the Council having access to my bank account through DD either. Lettie there should be a number on your bill to apply for one of the payment cards.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 20:33   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Cheers folks. I might give DD another shot haven't decided yet. It is several years ago when the aforementioned cock - up occurred. If I'm feeling charitable I'll give em another chance.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2004, 20:45   #7
God Member

Why dont you use internet banking? I pay all my bills that way including council tax, sod that going to post offices, the queues are always miles long when I go in

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 18:04   #8
Senior Member+

Made another foray to the Valley of Death[council office] today and guess what? The queue was even longer,at this rate it won't even be in 2p's,it will be 1ps with the odd foreign coin thrown in for good measure!
Old 14-04-2004, 20:42   #9
Accrington Web Mascot

If the Council are so short staffed to process council tax - maybe they should just abolish it! That would get my vote.
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 22:30   #10
I am Banned

And I would like to know how much it cost to

And I would like to know how much it cost to. Yep the benefits office is going all electronic, no cash as from July I think.

Graham Jones
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..