Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2003, 13:33   #1
Jo

Post Appeal for help

It's a long shot, but I'll give it a go.....

I am actively involved in a human rights organisation and we need as many members as we can to help run and finance our projects.

Hope no-one minds me advertising it on here.

The site is

www.h-r-i.org.

If anyone has any spare time or spare cash (as I said - it's a long shot!!!!) We'd love to hear from you!

As yet we have no British members, it would be nice if the first were from Accy!

Thanks Accy Webbers, I'm sure someone out there can help....
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-11-2003, 13:46   #2
Senior Member+

Post Re: Appeal for help

Just had a look at the site jo, and was quite surprised to see that Saddam Hussain was not on the list of people who had committed serious offences against others.
Old 04-11-2003, 14:18   #3
God Member

Jo,

I have managed to get a quick look through.The truth is often brutal - so here goes.

1) Your Piccys on first appearance seem to be aimed purely at our Muslim Chums. Now I know - you know - that the the denial of human rights to women in most Islamist Societies is one of the key foundations of the creed. You ain't going to get much response there.

2) Why no Piccy's of the Chinese or the Africans?  China is the biggest human rights violator in the world - but do the peasants care? Not really - why die in Tinnaman square this year when you can get a new fridge next year.

3) Africa is a basket case, but you make no mention..

4) Text - about the 4th paragraph down in the intro you talk about "Human Rights being Universally recognised..." Surely the whole point is that they ARE NOT universally recognised..otherwise there would be no need to do what you're attempting to do now.

Let me have another look when I've a bit of time & I'll let you know more...

Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 14:44   #4

Soory Jo, but IM with Bush and Blair on this one, and fully supported the war, what about the British soldiers that died fightig for their country, what about their human rights
Old 05-11-2003, 06:39   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think that as a country we have a very good human rights record both at home and abroad. Human rights violations in Iraq were perpetrated by Saddam and his followers, not the British or American forces. I was also surprised to see that there was no mention of the Far East, some countries in the far east have appalling human rights records especially amongst children, slavery, selling sex, torture etc.

Thought for the day. If according to article 16 of the human rights act, All men and women have the right to marry. Why are gay weddings still illegal in this country?? Made me wonder did that one when I had to plough my way through the Human Rights Act for an essay I had to write a couple of years back. Made a good debating topic though.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:56   #6
Jo

OK,
I'll try to respond to all:
Janet:
Saddam Hussein will definitely be on the list. We only started up this year, we are 3 people and time is short, we are currently working on thie list. Maybe it would be better to take it off the site whilst still under construction.
Tealeaf :
We are a charity organisation with very little money at the moment. the photos we have on the site were donated by a generous photographer who gave us the rights free of charge. Photo rights are really expensive so it's not easy to have exactly what you want.
We are currently running a project called No human Rights = No Olympic Games, aimed at China. As china will host the games in 5 years time, we will try to persuade those in power to force them first to improve their HR situation.
Africa will also be a big issue as soon as we have funds and people to help start up some projects.
Human Rights are universally recognised, but not necessary universally adhered to. There is a difference.
Ruud:
Sorry mate, but don't quite get you're meaning. The British soldiers that died were volonteers, and as tragic as their death was, they had as much right to go to war as not. This is not a human rights issue. Also, I don't believe I ever said I was aginst war with Iraq so no need to apologize there. Think we've misunderstood each other somewhere along the line Ruud.
Lettie:
Again, sorry we can't address every issue, haven't got round to far east yet except China - we are 3 people with family and a full-time job so we haven't got round to addressing every problem  (neither has Amnesty International and they're a thousand times or more bigger than we are!)
Good argument on Art. 16

Anyway, you lot are great - seeing as you all have ideas as to what would make good projects, why not join up and get a project of your own going.... we'd support you in any way we can!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:11   #7

Those soliders who died were not volunteers, it is their day job and get paid, just like you and I do for doing our job, the only aspect is that we dont get killed in our job
Old 05-11-2003, 09:14   #8
Jo

Exactly - they choose to do that job, and they get paid for it, they are not forced by anyone. I choose to market biscuits, they choose to go to war. It would only be a human rights issue if they were forced to go, as happens to some young children in Africa, for example.
volonteerign doesn't necessarily mean you don't get paid, it just means you chose to do it of your own will.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:17   #9
God Member

If you need some free piccy's for your China Campaign, I can let you have one of me inside the "Drunken Monkey Dim Sum Pub & Restaurant" taken after more than one pint...
Old 05-11-2003, 10:40   #10
Jo

Think that would be better on a Human Frights page, rather than human rights! ;D
Old 05-11-2003, 12:27   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Think the no HR no Olympics is a good idea, on similar lines to the anti apartheid, but it's whether or not athletes and spectators from various countries would be willing to boycot the events, which is pretty doubtful without a lot of publicity for the cause ???

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 13:10   #12
God Member

Hey Jo,

If you succeed in stopping the Peking Olympics in 2008 that means I won't get the Gold for the Triathlon...
Old 05-11-2003, 13:36   #13
Jo

We dopn't intend to actually stop the Olympics - that would be difficult, but mainly to raise awareness about the terrible HR situation in china.
In December we're going to Rome, where the Olympic Committee is meeting, you might see me on TV with a banner "No HR = no OG" !!

Talking of Olympics, I've decided when I have a kid that he or she is gonna be in the british ski team. Kids here go skiing every day in Winter - whadda think?
Old 05-11-2003, 14:14   #14
God Member

Good idea - but suppose he/she is  born in Italy  then is it not possib;e that they may wish to be in the Italian team? Would it not be a denial of their HR to then decide for them that they would play for Britain?
Old 06-11-2003, 06:00   #15
Jo

The child would have dual nationality until 18 years of age then would choose one of the two. It is not a question of human rights which team he or she will be in, it's a question of how good he or she is. To be in the Italian team, you have to really be world championship level, to be in the British team, you just have to know how to parallel ski. It's much easier to be in the British team, so he or she will decide how much he or she wants to train.  

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..