Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2011, 15:19   #1

Appreciating our past benefactors

In a modern world where 'Please' and 'Thank you' are rarely part of the vocabulary; and so many facilities are taken forgranted by the younger generation, I do wonder how much of their attitude is down to us older folk. After all, if we don't promote what we know, how can we expect it to be appreciated?

My case in point concerns one of Accrington's greatest benefactors from the mid 1800s - Mr. Benjamin Hargreaves. If we were to record all that he did for Accrington and its people we would be a very long time. Known affectionately as 'Mr. Benjamin' in the town, he never tired of helping the poor and supporting those institutions that benefitted them.

As well as taking a lead in providing the Town Hall, Benjamin Hargreaves was the first President and prime supporter of the library. He almost single handedly provided the funding for St. John's Church and was a man of great benevolence in his support of several other religious establishments in the Town. As one of the Town's main employers, he was most respected by his employees. As it is recorded, rather than accumulate wealth from his various business interests he found a greater joy in sharing what he had with those who were in need.

For sure there is the Benjamin Hargreaves memorial Primary School on the junction of Barnside Road and Plantation Street, but where are the worthy accolades or placades celebrating this most munificent of Accrington's benefactors in the town? Even the Accrington Library that owes its very beginnings to Benjamin Hargreaves bares no trace of his fellowship, let alone his magnificent contribution in its formative days.

If the council can afford to place such monstrocities as the latest memorial to a virtually unknown man outside the Yorkshire bank on Blackburn road, [no disrespect to the person intended] then they would have done well to commemorate the fine figure of Mr. Benjamin Hargreaves who did so much for Accrington.

Younger generations learn by example and if we fail to give worthy recognition to those previous generations who have made such tremendous contributions to the development of Accrington, then we needn't be surprised or disappointed when our own efforts are so quickly forgotten.

I say, let's resurrect the name of Benjamin Hargreaves and give him the recognition in Accrington that he deserves and is long overdue.

Last edited by Mikejoed; 28-01-2011 at 15:28. Reason: spelling error
Mikejoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2011, 15:36   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Appreciating our past benefactors

I think we should record our history.

However, perhaps this philanthropic benefactor was an altruist, and didn't want statues, windows etc. dedicated to his memory.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 15:49   #3
Give, give, give member

There are no public statues in Hyndburn.

If there was to be one, rather than some wealthy industralist, I think it would be more fitting if there was one of a worker connected to the textile industry.

A ten year old child, on the way to the mill.

Shawl.

Barefoot.

Clogged if they were lucky.

Old 28-01-2011, 16:17   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Somehow, I get the feeling that should we club together for a statue, we would only be allowed to erect one in honour of our overly modest yellow ribboned Council leader, (and he would create a bottle-neck junction with it's positioning so that we all sit staring at it for at least 10 minutes every day).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:50   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Somehow, I get the feeling that should we club together for a statue, we would only be allowed to erect one in honour of our overly modest yellow ribboned Council leader, (and he would create a bottle-neck junction with it's positioning so that we all sit staring at it for at least 10 minutes every day).
Have a word with Ken I'm sure he will take no time in sorting it out for you Less, maybe opposite the Railway would be an ideal place
Old 28-01-2011, 18:18   #6
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

If there was to be one, rather than some wealthy industralist, I think it would be more fitting if there was one of a worker connected to the textile industry.
Well said , and I think the Luddites would agree .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 18:25   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Well said , and I think the Luddites would agree .
The Luddites real enemy wasn't advances in machinery, but the fact that there is always some poor sod in the world, who'll work for less pennies than you.

Thus keeping those that pay the pennies happy.

Old 28-01-2011, 18:41   #8
Beacon of light

I think the problem with benefactors, is that the young folk of today do not see their relevance.

The days of Benjamin Hargreaves were not the days when the government of the day provided things......if a community required something, it had to damn well fund it by public donations or find someone who was rich enough to fund it....and the community went around feeling grateful for what they had been given.
Today it seems that there is very little gratitude because it seems that everything comes so easy.......and is usually disposable.
People(in the main) do not go without anything, in order to save up for something important.....there is no make do and mend.......everyone expects to be able to have what they want, when they want it.
Benfactors have gone right out of style.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 18:54   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Have a word with Ken I'm sure he will take no time in sorting it out for you Less, maybe opposite the Railway would be an ideal place
Oh yawn, yawn and triple yawn.

you poor little faithful hound no matter how much he kicks you, you lick his...

hand.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 19:05   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh yawn, yawn and triple yawn.

you poor little faithful hound no matter how much he kicks you, you lick his...

hand.
Isn't there a statue, erected for him in Edinburgh?

Old 29-01-2011, 04:18   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

A ten year old child, on the way to the mill.

Shawl.

Barefoot.

Clogged if they were lucky.
apart from War Memorials this is the only "statue" I can think of in a public place in Hyndburn , "an Angel and her Mop " in Gt. Harwood cemetry, can't decide if she was a neat freak or her husband had a wry sense of humour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel with a mop.jpg (63.8 KB, 19 views)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 07:13   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
apart from War Memorials this is the only "statue" I can think of in a public place in Hyndburn , "an Angel and her Mop " in Gt. Harwood cemetry, can't decide if she was a neat freak or her husband had a wry sense of humour
Some interesting, and amusing posts, in this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ccy-16592.html

Old 29-01-2011, 09:13   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think the problem with benefactors, is that the young folk of today do not see their relevance.

The days of Benjamin Hargreaves were not the days when the government of the day provided things......if a community required something, it had to damn well fund it by public donations or find someone who was rich enough to fund it....and the community went around feeling grateful for what they had been given.
Today it seems that there is very little gratitude because it seems that everything comes so easy.......and is usually disposable.
People(in the main) do not go without anything, in order to save up for something important.....there is no make do and mend.......everyone expects to be able to have what they want, when they want it.
Benfactors have gone right out of style.
Absolutely spot on Margaret, as usual you hit the nail on the head
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26   #14

It may be that benefactors have gone out of style, but unfortunately so have things like libraries and books. Any effort to pass on information is a good thing to my mind. How to do that in a relevant way is another story entirely.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 13:25   #15
God Member

I think that we need to consider that some 'benefactors' accrued their wealth by using child labour and low wages paid to adults.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accrington, benjamin hargreaves, history

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..