Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2015, 13:08   #1
Full Member+

Are manners a thing of the past?

Walking through Blackburn a couple of days ago, minding my own business I was rudely barged out of the way by a young (early twenties) woman who was busy laughing with her mates. She almost knocked me over and didn't seem to give a monkeys. I don't normally swear in the street but I found myself assaulting her thick brain with a few choice expletives. Is it me or does anyone else feel that manners and common decency are diminishing. And not just in young people either.
Old 07-09-2015, 13:11   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Are manners a thing of the past?

I agree, though its mainly younger (not Kids) people, i reckon its the upbringing to blame.
Old 07-09-2015, 13:25   #3
Full Member+

My thoughts entirely. I can't stand bad manners.
Old 07-09-2015, 13:42   #4
Beacon of light

Yes, courtesy and good manners are definitely dying out.
People seem to be disconnected from the world around them. More interested in what is going on with their mobile phone, or the music that they play loudly....so loudly that I can hear it despite the fact that they are wearing headphones.
cashman and westendlass like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:26   #5

Unfortunately, the shoulder barge has been going on for years. I've even had a male Tesco employee do it to me several years ago with barely an apology.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 14:29   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Mobiles are the MOST ill mannered invention EVER, the use of em that is.
Eric and westendlass like this.
Old 07-09-2015, 15:12   #7
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right Cashy.
What makes it worse is the music that I can hear through their headphones is just not to my taste..If it were then
Ethan's I would not mind so much.
I also hate the loud conversations that people seem to have on these devices....stuff that should remain private....personal stuff, stuff about people's finances.
If the bank were to make known what these chumps were discussing in a public place(on a bus) they would be asking for compensation.....and here they are discussing what they can pay and when on public transport. You would have to be very hard of hearing not to have heard every word.
westendlass likes this.
Old 07-09-2015, 17:17   #8
Full Member+

I don't think manners are taught much any more sadly. Not many children say 'Please' and 'Thank you.' these days. Parents cannot be bothered spending time teaching table manners either as most just sit with meals on their knees in front of the television not at a table. I am happy to say my own grandson is being brought up as I was and as I brought up my two children. He rarely forgets please and thank you and always asks if he may leave the table and says 'Thank you for my ....' which ever meal it is. I think speaking loudly on a mobile phone or playing loud music etc is widespread as most folk are just plain selfish with no regard for anyone but themselves. It is very very sad.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:19   #9
Senior Member+

I agree,kids learn their manners from their parents,If a child is ill mannered,being disrespectful or just plain cheeky,its the parents fault for not raising their kid correctly.
I was taught manners the old fashioned way,a clip round the lughole or a foot up the backside...obviously,we can't do that anymore

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 18:50   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
..obviously,we can't do that anymore
Really? Says who? A damn good thrashing doesn't hurt a bit! I could do it all day to the misbegotten little wretches with nary a twinge of the arm. Moderation is the answer, fifty lashes with the right, then 50 with the left, no problems.
Old 07-09-2015, 19:01   #11
Beacon of light

Ah, son you learned the lessons so well!
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 07-09-2015, 21:16   #12
Full Member+

Our generation were used to getting a good slap or a clip round the ear if we misbehaved.Teachers certainly were not adverse to handing out a good hiding. I remember getting rapped on my legs with two rulers by Mr Hinchcliffe at Peel Park. Did I go crying to my parents ? No blooming fear , I would have got another and been told I must have been doing something wrong to warrant it.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 00:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
...I was taught manners the old fashioned way,a clip round the lughole or a foot up the backside...obviously,we can't do that anymore
Do you think you would have turned into an ignorant, arrogant, bad-mannered person if you hadn't been routinely mugged by your parents? That it's their physical abuse that made you a good person?

I only ask because my dad's way of dealing with a situation which wasn't going according to his plan was to beat the child involved (I was one of four). My son has never been struck in his life, and he's a far better person now than I was at his age.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 00:43   #14
Senior Member+

There's a difference between being beaten and given a clip around the ear or a slap on the backside with a verbal explanation. Any one who beats their children should be locked up.
Greeny likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 00:51   #15
God Member

I once slapped my son on the leg in frustration and immediately apologised for doing it.

You can teach your children manners by your example.

My experience showed me that children will learn their behaviour from you, providing you have gained their respect.

Violence, however 'mild', is not a respectable action.
Studio25 and westendlass like this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-09-2015 at 00:54.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..