Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Are manners a thing of the past? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/are-manners-a-thing-of-the-past-67605.html)

westendlass 07-09-2015 13:08

Are manners a thing of the past?

Walking through Blackburn a couple of days ago, minding my own business I was rudely barged out of the way by a young (early twenties) woman who was busy laughing with her mates. She almost knocked me over and didn't seem to give a monkeys. I don't normally swear in the street but I found myself assaulting her thick brain with a few choice expletives. Is it me or does anyone else feel that manners and common decency are diminishing. And not just in young people either.

cashman 07-09-2015 13:11

Re: Are manners a thing of the past?

I agree, though its mainly younger (not Kids) people, i reckon its the upbringing to blame.

westendlass 07-09-2015 13:25

My thoughts entirely. I can't stand bad manners.

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2015 13:42

Yes, courtesy and good manners are definitely dying out.
People seem to be disconnected from the world around them. More interested in what is going on with their mobile phone, or the music that they play loudly....so loudly that I can hear it despite the fact that they are wearing headphones.

Michael1954 07-09-2015 14:26

Unfortunately, the shoulder barge has been going on for years. I've even had a male Tesco employee do it to me several years ago with barely an apology.

cashman 07-09-2015 14:29

Mobiles are the MOST ill mannered invention EVER, the use of em that is.

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2015 15:12

Yes, you are right Cashy.
What makes it worse is the music that I can hear through their headphones is just not to my taste..If it were then
Ethan's I would not mind so much.
I also hate the loud conversations that people seem to have on these devices....stuff that should remain private....personal stuff, stuff about people's finances.
If the bank were to make known what these chumps were discussing in a public place(on a bus) they would be asking for compensation.....and here they are discussing what they can pay and when on public transport. You would have to be very hard of hearing not to have heard every word.

Rowlf 07-09-2015 17:17

I don't think manners are taught much any more sadly. Not many children say 'Please' and 'Thank you.' these days. Parents cannot be bothered spending time teaching table manners either as most just sit with meals on their knees in front of the television not at a table. I am happy to say my own grandson is being brought up as I was and as I brought up my two children. He rarely forgets please and thank you and always asks if he may leave the table and says 'Thank you for my ....' which ever meal it is. I think speaking loudly on a mobile phone or playing loud music etc is widespread as most folk are just plain selfish with no regard for anyone but themselves. It is very very sad.

Accyexplorer 07-09-2015 18:19

I agree,kids learn their manners from their parents,If a child is ill mannered,being disrespectful or just plain cheeky,its the parents fault for not raising their kid correctly.
I was taught manners the old fashioned way,a clip round the lughole or a foot up the backside...obviously,we can't do that anymore :rolleyes:

DaveinGermany 07-09-2015 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1149455)
..obviously,we can't do that anymore :rolleyes:

Really? Says who? A damn good thrashing doesn't hurt a bit! I could do it all day to the misbegotten little wretches with nary a twinge of the arm. Moderation is the answer, fifty lashes with the right, then 50 with the left, no problems. ;) :D

Margaret Pilkington 07-09-2015 19:01

Ah, son you learned the lessons so well!:D

Rowlf 07-09-2015 21:16

Our generation were used to getting a good slap or a clip round the ear if we misbehaved.Teachers certainly were not adverse to handing out a good hiding. I remember getting rapped on my legs with two rulers by Mr Hinchcliffe at Peel Park. Did I go crying to my parents ? No blooming fear , I would have got another and been told I must have been doing something wrong to warrant it.

Studio25 08-09-2015 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1149455)
...I was taught manners the old fashioned way,a clip round the lughole or a foot up the backside...obviously,we can't do that anymore :rolleyes:

Do you think you would have turned into an ignorant, arrogant, bad-mannered person if you hadn't been routinely mugged by your parents? That it's their physical abuse that made you a good person?

I only ask because my dad's way of dealing with a situation which wasn't going according to his plan was to beat the child involved (I was one of four). My son has never been struck in his life, and he's a far better person now than I was at his age.

ossy kid 08-09-2015 00:43

There's a difference between being beaten and given a clip around the ear or a slap on the backside with a verbal explanation. Any one who beats their children should be locked up.

MargaretR 08-09-2015 00:51

I once slapped my son on the leg in frustration and immediately apologised for doing it.

You can teach your children manners by your example.

My experience showed me that children will learn their behaviour from you, providing you have gained their respect.

Violence, however 'mild', is not a respectable action.