Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2008, 13:06   #46
God Member

Re: Bad Reporting???

Could be wrong and am sure Marg Pilkington will correct me if I am but thought you did basic training and then went on to choosen areas with nursing. If that is not how it works now could possibly be another area that needs redressing IMO.
Old 18-08-2008, 13:07   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Ideal - no practice until theory has been learnt
Don't agree, how can you learn about working on a ward without being in the situation?
Old 18-08-2008, 13:10   #48
Senior Member+

I have a friend that wanted to be a teacher... she went to college, did her alevels, went to uni.. qualified as a reception teacher..... THEN realised that she had no idea what she was doing and didnt like the age group... she then retrained and is now a music teacher in a high school.... IF she had had some on the job training she would hae already known that and wouldnt have wasted so much time.

Just because it works in theory doesnt mean it works in practice. children dont follow childcare books!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:16   #49
God Member

From my own experience we cannot rely on people having common sense, so the basic health and safety practices need to be taught.

You cannot rely on 'on the job' training to do that - they just adopt the sloppy practices of the people who 'trained' them.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 13:19   #50
Senior Member+

for the 2 year course you do a week at college and a week in placement.. you are taught the things you need to know in college and you practice them at placement.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 15:22   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Could be wrong and am sure Marg Pilkington will correct me if I am but thought you did basic training and then went on to choosen areas with nursing.
I thought that was the case too.
Old 18-08-2008, 15:33   #52

Myra Hindley as a 16 year old could have left school, go to college study for a couple of years and then got the relevant qualification to work in a nursery

Most young girls can 'romaticise' the job as well, working with children; kinda like animals, sounds great, bloody hard work in reality.

It is up to the Manager to make sure that standards are kept, employess know what the are doing and meant to do. Not only should the basics, but a learning programme and activities for throughout the day. Kids get bored easily but have a need to learn. They enjoy it too.

The fact that the children in the nursery seem to be left to 'fester' should be the reason for most parents to be concerned
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 18:15   #53
I am Banned

I used to teach the children a song to wash their hands to - it made it enjoyable for them and gave them a "sense of time" as to how long they washed their hands for
always worked well
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 18:32   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
I used to teach the children a song to wash their hands to - it made it enjoyable for them and gave them a "sense of time" as to how long they washed their hands for
always worked well
that sounds like good old common sense, so long as ya didn't teach em the old Brook Brothers number- I Aint Gonna Wash For A Week.
Old 18-08-2008, 18:47   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Claire Cal is not the owner, think she just knows the woman who is. They now have till September to sort things out before another inspection
If it is that unsafe and an inspector had to prevent an accident the place should be shut down until the issues are corrected.
Old 18-08-2008, 18:53   #56

After reading every post it has been made perfectly clear no one who has commented has a child that attends this nursery. I have read both the OFSTED report and the newspaper and I have a 4 year old that attends full time. I would assume that you would all have the full facts before commenting in such a way which clearly not one of you has. The report has been complained about as much of it was very untrue, my son does wash his hands after going to the toilet and is always changed straight away if he has an accident. The few problems which the owner held her hands up to in the Observer were carried out by a member of staff that was subsequently sacked. She then very maliciously went to the Observer. I would also like to point out that when my child goes to primary school in September we will both be very sorry to leave such a happy environment. Ask anyone who's child does attend this nursery or go and take a look for yourselves
stacy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 19:34   #57
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy78 View Post
I have read both the OFSTED report and the newspaper and I have a 4 year old that attends full time.
Are you saying the OFSTED reporter told lies?
Old 18-08-2008, 19:39   #58

Quote:
After reading every post it has been made perfectly clear no one who has commented has a child that attends this nursery. I have read both the OFSTED report and the newspaper and I have a 4 year old that attends full time. I would assume that you would all have the full facts before commenting in such a way which clearly not one of you has. The report has been complained about as much of it was very untrue, my son does wash his hands after going to the toilet and is always changed straight away if he has an accident. The few problems which the owner held her hands up to in the Observer were carried out by a member of staff that was subsequently sacked. She then very maliciously went to the Observer. I would also like to point out that when my child goes to primary school in September we will both be very sorry to leave such a happy environment. Ask anyone who's child does attend this nursery or go and take a look for yourselves

Think you'll find that the very first post is asking if any accy webbers children attend the nursery, and asking for their comments.

No one is attacking the children (or parents for that matter) with regards to either the observer or Ofsted report. As parents, one of the biggest worries is how out children are looked after when we are not there.

However, it doesnt matter if the sacked member of staff 'maliciously' went to the papers or not, the Ofsted report is freely available on the internet and the reports findings are serious enough to comment on.

I'm glad you are happy with the treatment of your child, but your child is old enough to tell you if they have a good or bad day.
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 20:20   #59
God Member

Quote:
So now its up to the schools to teach toilet training as well ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 20:34   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
as the first post asked the question if any accywebber had a child that went there,it also asked if it was "Bad Reporting" i reckon there is n ulterior motive to yer post, i would assume that you read it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..