Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 17:54   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Bigoted or free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I think we both know, the 'problem' lies in folks personal morality, political correctness etc.
It's (generally) accepted in today's society (well at least amounts blacks), that "nigga" is used as non-derogatory.
It is, however, generally understood amongst the very same aspects of society that when non-blacks use the word it is meant in some sort of derogatory manner.
Not that I think your bothered but, my thoughts are that if folk are offended by a 'word' it's tough luck.
After all I'd like to look at every race as equal,as I'm sure you would?
But if black folk are allowed to use the 'N' word and other races aren't, then that divides us,are am I missing something?

I have been called, whitey, honky, Gringo and many, many other names while working with people of many different races, was I offended?

No, why? because I was working with people that use these terms as a matter of fact because to them that is who I am.
The same people weren't offended when I used their racial description back to them, why? Because to them that is exactly who they are.
If you are working surrounded by Muslims in a Muslim Country it doesn't pay to feel offended as those you are working with don't mean any offence.

Only here do we have problems because Nanny State knows best.

Last edited by Less; 04-05-2014 at 17:58.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-05-2014, 18:55   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I there's also a difference between the word "nigger" and "nigga"."Nigger"
All semantics, it doesn't matter about the spelling, it's not written down when spoken so a difference in letters or spelling is irrelevant! If the term is seen as offensive (irrespective of spelling) then it should be condoned by all regardless who's using it!
Old 04-05-2014, 19:11   #18
God Member

I'm with George on this one:

Less, mobertol and Lucysgirl like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 21:17   #19

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I'm with George on this one:
Spoken like a true 51st state, puck chasing, hoser

The Racial Slur Database

Then again...there's always an alternative viewpoint

Shakesville: "Canadian" as Racial Slur
Old 04-05-2014, 21:59   #20
God Member

Quote:
I'd also like to point out that there's also a difference between the word "nigger" and "nigga"."Nigger" is offensive to black folk, for example:
Most youngsters today have at least one racist grandparent.
Except me, cause grandma says racism is a crime.....and crime is for erm (sorry couldn't think of a better context)...
..whereas "nigga" is used between black folk all the time as a non-derogatory term, I think they use it in place of words like "bro" or "man".
Attachment 40177
sorta wrong nigga is what the black amercans formed from the word nigger as a slang word for nigger and originates from gang slang and was meant as an insult towards each other when addressing rival or disliked blacks and they have words they use when refering to whites such as honky and a few others i dont recall.Eventually nigga became varied in its use from derogatory to friendly addressing of each other just like when they call someone a punk ass little bitch to a friendly greeting such as " sup bitches"

or so my nigga online gangbanger pals tell me

mind you they call me nigga but i do tan easy so its an easy mistake i guess

its all in how its used not the word its self.Reginald D Hunter got into trouble for using the word nigger and he is one and is proud to be one and righly so. Using it at a kick racism out fo football event may not have been teh best idea as teh white folk got mighty upset about it lol

someone at the bbc saw an opportunity to earn some cash by selling the out takes to teh press i bet and knew because it was clarkson some up tehir arse idiot would jump on the bandwaggon and demand he be fired.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 04-05-2014 at 22:01.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 22:49   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
I wonder if that is why they never show The Dam Busters any more on TV because Guy Gibson's dog was called Nigger.
Yes they do. The Dam Busters is shown many times on TV. And last night, Escape From Alcatraz was shown on Channel 4, in which the phrase "I hate niggers" was used. And in one if the Die Hard films, which is regularly shown on TV, Bruce Willis wears a sandwich board, bearing the same phrase.

Last edited by Michael1954; 04-05-2014 at 22:55.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 23:56   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Spoken like a true 51st state, puck chasing, hoser

The Racial Slur Database

Then again...there's always an alternative viewpoint

Shakesville: "Canadian" as Racial Slur
Take off, eh.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06   #23
Full Member+

I used to love the seventies comedy Love Thy Neighbour about bickering next door neighbours,one black, one white. I doubt it will ever be shown again as the banter would be seen as offensive these days. Thing is, from what I remember,the black guy always came out top making the white guy look stupid and bigoted. I don't think many people would be offended but, the PC police would never 'allow' us the choice to watch it again.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Bigoted or free speech

You can find it on utube
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54   #25
Full Member+

Thanks Less, that's my bank holiday afternoon sorted.
Old 05-05-2014, 14:09   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I used to love the seventies comedy Love Thy Neighbour about bickering next door neighbours,one black, one white. I doubt it will ever be shown again as the banter would be seen as offensive these days. Thing is, from what I remember,the black guy always came out top making the white guy look stupid and bigoted. I don't think many people would be offended but, the PC police would never 'allow' us the choice to watch it again.
its very rare the person complaining is the person who would be effected by the term yet its rare it happens the other way around like when a black man hears a slang or bad word refering to whites been used.Its pretty much a white thing where someone gets up in arms on someone elses behalf.

many many blacks attended bernard mannings shows and they wernt going there to protest at his jokes they went knowing damn well if bernard saw them he would directly take them on one to one and take a pop at them using words .I dint say offensive words because the person who was directly the target of his words wasnt offended therefore they wernt offensive yet despite the black man going to the concert,not been offended and having a good time some moron the next day usually white would be demanding bernard be arrested for been racist.Occassionally you got the odd black person somehow linking bernard to slavary in the old days but no one really paid attention to them.

my conclusion is that black people are better at taking jokes,are more laid back and dont get a kick out of attracting attention to themselves butthat theory does exclude a simialr shade that will shoot a gun in the air and burn flags if somone so much as draws a specific cartoon image yet alone use a naughty word

as reginald d hunter said in his stand up , if i bump into a black man in teh dark and say sorry i didnt see you there am i been racist ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 05-05-2014, 14:15   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
as reginald d hunter said in his stand up , if i bump into a black man in teh dark and say sorry i didnt see you there am i been racist ?
No, it's only racist when you ask him to smile so it doesn't happen again
accyman likes this.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 14:20   #28
Full Member+

Your right there. It's usually someone taking offence on someone else's behalf. How patronising is that? Condescending dogooders are more offensive than the so called racist remarks themselves. People need to sit back and chill out a bit and stop fanning the flames of hatred.
Old 05-05-2014, 14:23   #29
God Member

michael jackson once sang it dosnt matter if your black or white

pitty there wasnt a line in there about been over 18 but he was half way there bless him

ps:

its ok to throw a jackson joke in as he has an album out or out soon so relevance is covered :-)

Old 05-05-2014, 16:10   #30
God Member

What's new? Jim Bowen was sacked or asked to resign by the BBC over ten years ago for calling someone a nig-nog on his radio show.
As Jim said:

He added: "Sadly, when a 65-year-old is employed he brings with him a certain amount of baggage from his era and sadly sometimes this doesn't sit well in 2002.
"The expression I used would identify with the youngsters who were last to be picked in a football team or perhaps weren't the sharpest knife in the box."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2307607.stm

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..