Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By accyman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2015, 13:05   #1
Senior Member+

New Police Station

I just saw this on Twitter.

Plans are in place to open a new police station on Broadway. The police station is due to move to a new £500,000 premises in the heart of the town.

Two former retail units on Broadway will be converted to accommodate the Neighbourhood Policing Team, with the station due to move from Spring Gardens later this year.

It is hoped the move will save £51,000 a year in running costs, provide a more visible police presence and help to revive the town centre.

More info here.......

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2015, 13:16   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: New Police Station

Its a good move certainly, But will only be really effective if they actually PUT police on the town centre beat.
Old 10-03-2015, 13:31   #3
Senior Member+

I'm more concerned about where the extra half a million pounds is coming from. Surely that money would be better spent on employing extra police instead.

Another election gimmick?

Old 10-03-2015, 13:41   #4
Senior Member+

Aren't the Neighbourhood Policing Team all Plastic bobbies who cannot book or arrest anyone and have no authority to issue parking tickets?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:04   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
I'm more concerned about where the extra half a million pounds is coming from. Surely that money would be better spent on employing extra police instead.

Another election gimmick?
It is clever political manouvering. They know there are 2 main complaints about the town centre, the policing of it and the lack of shops. If you fill it with a cop shop you kill 2 birds with one stone. Will be handy if you want to buy some 5 star accomodation though at her majesty's pleasure, they will have a shop for it

I'm not convinced removing retail units from the main shopping area of a town centre is a good idea. It sends a clear message that any thoughts of revitalising the town centre are long gone and it will be occupied by other means. Having said all that I know nothing about business compared to councillors so no doubt they have got it right
Old 10-03-2015, 14:25   #6
God Member

i dont know what the plans are for the old fire station but moving the cop shop from next door to it will make getting shut of the two buildings easier or whatever they plan to do with them

time will tell if the police station been in town will alter anything and i really do hope that dealing with the scum in accy isnt just having a chat with them and actually arresting or moving them away

i guess teh real indication that it is working out will be when benches start appearing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:41   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i dont know what the plans are for the old fire station but moving the cop shop from next door to it will make getting shut of the two buildings easier or whatever they plan to do with them

time will tell if the police station been in town will alter anything and i really do hope that dealing with the scum in accy isnt just having a chat with them and actually arresting or moving them away

i guess teh real indication that it is working out will be when benches start appearing
They will still have a job on getting rid of the cop shop and fire station, the courts are still there. If they move to Broadway where are they going to park their cars and paddy wagons ?.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:48   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
They will still have a job on getting rid of the cop shop and fire station, the courts are still there. If they move to Broadway where are they going to park their cars and paddy wagons ?.
on the zigzags , roundabouts and double yellow lines like everyone else
Alan Varrechia likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 10-03-2015, 14:57   #9
Senior Member+

The court is only open on thursdays now and mainly for unpaid fines. A lot is done in other courts with video links
Old 10-03-2015, 20:04   #10
Senior Member+

The article states that the new police station will be rented from HBC.

Also, who owns the current police station building?

Last edited by AccyJay; 10-03-2015 at 20:07.
Old 10-03-2015, 22:06   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The court is only open on thursdays now and mainly for unpaid fines. A lot is done in other courts with video links
i may be a tiny bit wrong here but child access/family court , criminal proceedings , etc mostly go to blackburn magistrates if not all and accy also relies on blackburn police as well at greenbank

some times it seems as though blackburn is trying to swallow us up and add us to their collection as they did darwen

still not got their city status though lol

will we have real coppers at the new station or just plastic coppers because the last time i was at accy police spring gardens there was real coppers about but that was a few years ago ?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:58   #12
Senior Member+

As far as I'm aware you are correct. When my wife retired from working at Accy courts last year they wer only going to open one day a week and most things were going to Readley or Blackburn
Old 11-03-2015, 12:28   #13
Senior Member+

Does anybody (on this forum) know which shops will be converted to the police station?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:47   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Does anybody (on this forum) know which shops will be converted to the police station?
From this thread - http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...t-67106-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Think the 2 buildings earmarked for the cop shop are that defunct coffee place and the old Jack Fulton premises.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 13:14   #15
Senior Member+

Thank you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..