Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree27Likes
  • 6 Post By boxermum
  • 4 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By dotti34
  • 4 Post By Restless
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger
  • 1 Post By monkey hanger
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By monkey hanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2020, 19:17   #1

Unhappy Bonfire night

Is it not time to end this tradition?.
I AM NOT A KILLJOY but enough is enough.We have put up with injuries caused by fireworks, our fire brigade is run ragged before and after the actual night.Our pets are terrified of the loud bangs,as are the older people. Now we have yobs throwing fireworks at the police.....not to mention the pollution.
Gone are the days of sparklers and Roman candles.It is now more like a war zone out there.Does anyone else feel the same,or AM I just a boring killjoy.
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2020, 21:59   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Bonfire night

Around us we have had fireworks going off most nights since the middle of October.
People must have money to burn.
Last night should be the only night that you can let off these nuclear bangers.
It would not be so bad if it were the fireworks of old...roman Candles, Catherine Wheels, sparklers...but it has to be these booming banger....it is now almost 11 pm and they are still going off.
So I’m with you Boxermum.
Maybe the parents could spend this money they spent on fireworks on buying food for their hungry children.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 22:33   #3

No. Boxermum, you are not being a killjoy. Gone are the days when people (especially children) found happiness in the more simple things of life, where on Guy Fawkes Night children had fun with just having a sparkler or two (they couldn’t afford anything more anyway). Where the bonfire tradition was a night of friendly participation (memories of mum’s treacle toffee and burnt spuds to share come quickly to mind) and being allowed to stay out very late knowing it was safe to do so. It was not the okay signal for any sort of vandalism and a lack of respect for others, and if that is what is happening then yes, maybe it is time to put this night away in the ‘once upon a time’ box.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:15   #4
Senior Member+

Economy is up in the air. Literally

Always found fireworks a waste of money and I also think you should have licence to use em
Old 07-11-2020, 08:16   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Around us we have had fireworks going off most nights since the middle of October.
People must have money to burn.
Last night should be the only night that you can let off these nuclear bangers.
It would not be so bad if it were the fireworks of old...roman Candles, Catherine Wheels, sparklers...but it has to be these booming banger....it is now almost 11 pm and they are still going off.
So I’m with you Boxermum.
Maybe the parents could spend this money they spent on fireworks on buying food for their hungry children.
the last sentence has got the other half in some bother on haworth online by being called nasty and not knowing what she,s talking about. afraid truth hurts some especially the lefty snowflake quiche eaters who cannot put their ore in quick enough.
nicola68 likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
No. Boxermum, you are not being a killjoy. Gone are the days when people (especially children) found happiness in the more simple things of life, where on Guy Fawkes Night children had fun with just having a sparkler or two (they couldn’t afford anything more anyway). Where the bonfire tradition was a night of friendly participation (memories of mum’s treacle toffee and burnt spuds to share come quickly to mind) and being allowed to stay out very late knowing it was safe to do so. It was not the okay signal for any sort of vandalism and a lack of respect for others, and if that is what is happening then yes, maybe it is time to put this night away in the ‘once upon a time’ box.
something thats gone from being a fun night out for all to anti social behaviour. once every year there were warnings on fire work misuse and injuries caused by them. now you hear nothing like that, and do not tell me it does not happen. over the years different governments have tried to bring in laws to ban them or organised events only. for some reason this has never become law. every pet owner you speak to are up in arms about bonfire fortnight. you can obtain things from the vet for a one night affair but not drugging your animal for 2 weeks. with a bit of luck the yobs may have gone too far this year and something may now be done.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:28   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i hope so monkey hanger but very much doubt it, money talks.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:28   #8
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
the last sentence has got the other half in some bother on haworth online by being called nasty and not knowing what she,s talking about. afraid truth hurts some especially the lefty snowflake quiche eaters who cannot put their ore in quick enough.
I know that many parents are not so neglectful to spend money on fireworks when food is what is needed.
But I feel that this is the kind of actions of the feckless....let’s buy the kids some bangers, then they won’t bother if there is nowt in the cupboard.
Yes contentious....but does it have a ring of truth?
When you can see these feckless folk on TV....the starving kids look anything but undernourished....they have phone that look like a Granny Smith product...and the parent is pierced and tattooed ( yes the tats might have been done during a more financially prosperous time)...and yes I am being judgemental.
I am allowed to be because I know all about childhood poverty.

Fireworks are expensive.
I do not mind Bonfire night.....and it comes as a bit of fun after a time that has been short on fun and long on misery.
But when fireworks are being let off at 11pm and later, it is obvious that these people letting them off have no respect for others....and maybe they are unsupervised teens....
nicola68 and cashman like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 07-11-2020 at 09:30.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:39   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i hope so monkey hanger but very much doubt it, money talks.
thats why we have to put up with halloween, bonfire night and christmas ads on the hottest day of the year. they could not care a damn on the cost financially or the hassle it causes for others human or animal . shops have to make profits but can make em without the rubbish we have to put up with.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:31   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats how dumb some are in my view Halloween is an American Tradition, i think they only took it up cos we got Guy Fawkes? then the balloons here took it up later,
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-11-2020, 16:47   #11
Beacon of light

well, It seems like it another night in Beirut here.
There are whizzes and fizzes and thunderous bangs that startle me every time.
Lat night it was after midnight before the bangs stopped.
nicola68 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24   #12
God Member

same over here. 4th night on the trot now. something needs to be done before next year as its getting stupid now. if they are banned then once again its just the thoughtless idiots that are to blame and not people who are regarded as killjoys.
KiTChener and cashman like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..