Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Cannabis

The current national debate is once again about how to classify cannabis.

Brown has announced that a second review is to take place to look at if cannabis should be re-classified from the current class “C” drug to a class “B” drug.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/jul/18/immigrationpolicy.drugsandalcohol

Some sufferers of multiple scelorsis claim that cannabis alleviates their pain. So does heroin in the guise of morphine.

However it is daft to allow alcohol to be legally sold and all the problems that it causes, yet criminalize the use of cannabis.

The real problem with cannabis is that it is cultivated and sold by criminals because it is illegal to grow, posses, sell and use.

We can legally make our own beer and wine and even spirits for OUR OWN CONSUMPTION so why not cannabis. Alcohol not only kills and maims the user but others as well. Cannabis rarely if ever does the same.

Take the criminality out of cannabis by controlling its production and distribution and make it cheaper to buy from a licensed source, like a chemist, than buying it on the ‘street’. Undercut the criminals and they will go out of business. Once out of the cannabis business criminals would not be able to dupe their regular cannabis customers into trying other drugs, which would be a bonus. No doubt the criminal element will fight back but the government has to be strong and resolute even if it means that cannabis will be given away practically free. No business can run at a loss, especially a criminal business.

Then if the illegal cannabis trade can be wrested from the criminal the government should look at the possibility of doing the same with other so called ‘recreational’ drugs.

Finally, I have never knowingly used any illegal drug so from a purely personal view I don’t care what happens to cannabis. I prefer to keep my brain clear and active, which is why I do not use alcohol and haven’t done for more than 15 years.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Cannabis

I don't really have an opinion as I have never used drugs. its bad enough having to take prescribed drugs just to stay alive let alone just for kicks

Last edited by jaysay; 03-04-2008 at 12:42. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44   #3
Senior Member+

hasnt cannabis been proven to cause mental health problems?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:08   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

yep thats right emamum, can make ya paranoid.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:26   #5
Senior Member+

i think the prob with cannabis is that back when it entered mainstream it was harmless lil weed thing

now the variants being produced are ALOT stronger than the old stuff. hence much more dangerous
Old 03-04-2008, 13:48   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cannabis

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
hasnt cannabis been proven to cause mental health problems?
In a few cases cannabis has been reported as causing mental health problems. Of maybe the cannabis just brought out what was already there.

Undoubtedly cannabis will affect different people in different ways. For instance some people are allergic to penicillin and other antibiotics. My daughter is allergic to the Novocain that dentists use to ease the pain of fillings and extractions.

But, quite rightly, they don’t ban Novocain just because she has problems with it.

Look at the leaflet that comes with any prescribed medicine. Among other things it will list possible side effects. Yet the drug is still in use and being prescribed.

As I understand it cannabis has progressed, if that’s the right word, to become stronger by the criminal element. They call it skunk don’t they? That is reason enough to take cannabis out of criminal hands.
Old 03-04-2008, 13:50   #7
Senior Member+

i think skunk is less processed than the brown stuff which is called resin. Which is what makes it stronger.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:52   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

Are you sure, surely not, you must be joking, not cannabis, give over,who said that, i`m sure someones following me................I never said i`d ever smoked it, did i? err no think not?......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:54   #9
Senior Member+

i used to smoke cannabis, when i was younger, well only did it a few times, never used it again, my mum smokes cannabis to ease her arthritis and other pains and it works, when used moderated that is. i cant imagine my mum being stoned
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 13:59   #10
God Member

I would welcome the chance (legally) to grow my own to relieve arthritic pain.
Doc can only give me paracetemol - useless
Looking forward to the day they prescibe it on NHS
The only other alternative is to emigrate to Holland.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 14:05   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
its bad enough having to take prescribed drugs just to stay alive let alone just for kicks
I'm with you on that one. According to this BBC site there are more than 400 chemicals in cannabis, and I feel I'm already getting more than my fair share via the drugs I take now.

BBC - Science & Nature - Hot Topics - Cannabis - Index Page

I'm in two minds about the downgrading of the drug. True it doesn't in itself have as much effect on society as alcohol, though the crime that is a direct result of it's illegal status, does.

For those who claim it helps relieve the pain of their medical condition, surely with today's technology similar effects could be produced synthetically, which could then be prescribed through a doctor?

True not everyone who takes cannabis will go on to be a crack addict, just as not everyone who ever has a drink will go on to be an alcoholic. Though what is a fact is that people who are addicted to harder drugs always start off smoking cannabis.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 14:08   #12
God Member

MS sufferers can have it on NHS
BBC NEWS | Health | Cannabis drug available in the UK

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 14:10   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would welcome the chance (legally) to grow my own to relieve arthritic pain.
Doc can only give me paracetemol - useless
Looking forward to the day they prescibe it on NHS
The only other alternative is to emigrate to Holland.
By the way, I'm not saying those people who claim it helps relieve pain are in the wrong. I know a woman with MS who swears it is the only thing that helps her, and I suppose her buying it makes her a criminal, and her actions help support the criminals who supply the drugs trade, which is wrong.

Old 03-04-2008, 14:14   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Though funding for it may depend under which Health Authority you fall under.

Multiple Sclerosis Society Website - Welcome to the MS Society - Sativex

Old 03-04-2008, 15:49   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
no it can't, shhh wait a minute what was that noise..........help they are after me again.............................quick run.........................

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..