Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 21:47   #1

Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

Not sure where I should have posted this, guess it will get moved to the appropriate section.

The blaze in the tunnel this afternoon -Channel Tunnel shut after blaze - was apparently caused by a lorry carrying phenol that had overturned on the train.

I’ve never seen one of these freight trains but can a lorry actually overturn while on the train, I mean is there actually enough physical space for it to do so. A lorry has to be about the same width as a train.
Old 11-09-2008, 21:51   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

Now that has put me off going through the tunnel and Busman doesn't do ferries so it looks like fly and hire.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:57   #3
God Member

In order to allay public fears, they may well need to re-arrange the timetable so that passenger trains are never in the tunnel at the same time as freight.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 22:01   #4

The overturning of a lorry on the train just doesn’t sound plausible to me. Perhaps a different tale will come out given time.
Old 11-09-2008, 22:02   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its actually the second time, a fire on a freight train in tunnel, last was in 96, the good news is, the safety procedures worked n no-one seriously injured, the service tunnel obviously does its job, certainly would not put me off, ya go when yer numbers up, its that simple.
Old 11-09-2008, 23:05   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
easy solution is to not let her on it again..

oops my bad it says blaze

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:21   #7
Senior Member+

Those trains are massive!!! its like a carpark in there lol..... Ive been on twice (obviously,there and back lol) the thing stopped for half an hour while we were on, scared the hell outta us!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 14:19   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Channel Tunnel shut after blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
The overturning of a lorry on the train just doesn’t sound plausible to me. Perhaps a different tale will come out given time.
I’ve never been through the tunnel but there have been enough newsreels on TV showing lorries boarding the train and there doesn’t seem to be room for a full overturn. There seems to be only enough room to open the cab door without it hitting the sides.

In any case are lorries not secured in some way to stop roll forward or back in case the hand brake fails?

Maybe they meant “tip over” rather than “overturn”.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..