Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2015, 03:39   #1

Clock garage

Finally it,s coming down to be replaced by a Marstons public house !! planning gone mad one of the busiest roads in Accrington and a school across the road ....I wonder why the previous planning application did,nt go ahead for it to be the Police station ??
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-01-2015, 10:09   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Clock garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
Finally it,s coming down to be replaced by a Marstons public house !! planning gone mad
How is it planning gone mad? They are knocking down a building that has been empty for several years and has slowly become an eye-sore due to neglect and intend to invest in a new building bringing trade to an area that wasn't being used. In another thread we are all bemoaning M&S leaving the town, here we have someone investing in the town.

Quote:
one of the busiest roads in Accrington and a school across the road
Yes it is one of the busiest Rd's though as with ASDA further along the same Rd I suspect there will be off road parking which aught to keep the users safe. Whether the pub was built or not the school would still be where it is, parents and staff seem to cope quite well, or are you suggesting that it may suddenly become a temptation for these 9 to 11 year olds to nip across this busy Rd for a couple of under age pints at lunch time?

Quote:
....I wonder why the previous planning application did,nt go ahead for it to be the Police station ??
Hadn't heard about the Police station application, perhaps it would have been planning gone mad, placing it on one of Accrington's busiest Rd's and opposite a school as well?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06   #3
Senior Member+

Clock garage

That's great news, could do with somewhere local like that.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The clock garage was on Whalley Rd now occupied by Kwik-Fit! what yeh on about?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:15   #5
Senior Member+

Clock garage

Clock garage moved to hyndburn road.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Clock garage moved to hyndburn road.
Cheers was unaware of that, musta moved yon when i lived away.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:27   #7
Senior Member+

Clock garage

I think the original BMW garage moved to there and took the name, when they relocated to Blackburn Arnold Clark took it over but it has been empty for ages.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

An owd mate whose house i used to live at served his apprenticeship at the clock garage on whalley rd, i was completely unaware it moved, thought it had just closed down.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53   #9
Senior Member+

The Clock garage was bought by Bowker and sold BMW's. Previous to that it sold Triumph cars, I bought one myself from there.
When Bowker had the Hyndburn road garage built he kept the name Clock Garage (Accrington).I still have a receipt from April 1996 when I bought a BMW with that name on the bill head.
I often thought it would make a good site for a mosque with parking, thank our Lord it's not.
cashman likes this.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

That explains me ignorance,i was living in Blackpool back then. Then Spain just after yeh bought yer car yon Gremlin.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
An owd mate whose house i used to live at served his apprenticeship at the clock garage on whalley rd, i was completely unaware it moved, thought it had just closed down.

The original Clock garage corner of Milnshaw lane n Whalley Road Ol became as
now Kwik-fit..don't think it ever closed??
oops missed your previous saying just that !!!!

I still think of that corner as the Clock Garage (my age I know)
A bit like turning the corner at the Load Of Mischief....
cashman likes this.

Last edited by DtheP47; 07-01-2015 at 12:00.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 13:46   #12

The original Clock Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossen...-6D3VbB-7PZjj4
Accyexplorer likes this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 14:34   #13
Super Moderator

A pub opening in Accy instead of the usual news about one closing down...that makes a refreshing change!
US Angel likes this.
Old 07-01-2015, 15:24   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
A pub opening in Accy instead of the usual news about one closing down...that makes a refreshing change!
We were all late in picking up on this.

Marston's General Manager- New Build, Accrington
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:28   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Quite literally, "Pint of Lager for the Gentleman & a fruit based drink for the Lady!"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..