Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2020, 22:21   #886
Beacon of light

Re: Corona Virus

Exile, I think Big Pharma are global lobbyists.....and their influence and power is scarifying.

They are not interested in the health of any nation...they are not philanthropists, they are greedy money grabbing industries that know the kind of hold a huge world vaccine program would have on their coffers.

All the Pharma companies want us all to be medicated in some way.
A few years ago it was mooted that all over 55 yr olds would be given a 'polypill' that would protect them from a variety of ailments that are linked to ageing.

All medicines have side effects and some of these need medication to control them....so had this gone ahead we would all be guzzling down pills to supposedly keep us well and meds to cope with the side effects of the pills that were given to keep us well....meanwhile the big pharma are laughing all the way to the bank.

Alternative therapies are discouraged by medical practitioners because they know that this will rob them and the Pharma companies of money....so your doctor will never recommend homeopathy, or osteopathy or any other of the alternative health products.

I stay away from Doctors as much as I can because I do not wish to be medicated purely on my age.
I take no prescribed medicines, I eat fresh food, I keep active both mentally and physically....and when I am called off this lake, I want to go without any meddling.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-08-2020 at 22:24.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2020, 07:33   #887
God Member

think we as humans have two choices. either a shorter non medicated happy life or a longer totally medicated one with every day the boring same. when a pet owner finds there animal refusing their favourite food and not wanting to go out you do something about it because the end is nigh. no one wants to die but many of us do not want a sleeping death for years drugged up in a care home either.
DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 12:24   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Clitheroe View Post
I have been subjected to being called fascist by face rag wearers for not wearing one walking down a street - them not seeing the irony of their comments. I am NOT stopping them from wearing one I do want people to have a CHOICE but I get fed up of people laying down the law and trying to dictate to me when they are in the WRONG. That is why I would be quite happy for those who gloat and believe themselves to be 'heroes' for wearing a useless piece of rag on their face to be convinced by their 'rulers' to wear them forever.
This post is a lot more adult orientated than the one that I rather sarcastically refered to yesterday.I have never tried to lay down the law as you say, in fact it is not a law that anyone (Has) to wear a mask.or a piece of rag as you so childishly put it.
Stay happy Jimmy,
Your's, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 12:29   #889
Beacon of light

I think we all have to take responsibility for our own well being.
This can be done in many waysYou go to the doctor and he tells you that your blood pressure is up and he puts you on pills.
What he does not tell you is that over the years what is seen as high blood pressure has had its values revised downward....which means more people will be considered hypertensive.
The same with cholesterol....you get a blood test and you get slapped on statins.
Your body makes cholesterol, your brain relies on it, your muscles need it to work well.
So after a while you may get a foggy memory and muscle aches which we all put down to getting older...when in fact it is the meds we take.
The laughable thing is that statins do not have the great beneficial effect that has been portrayed for them....and drug companies know this, but hide it from you.

You can lower your blood pressure by life style changes...increasing your activities....simple things like walking....same with cholesterol. Keeping your weight steady....all doable without meds.
Although I accept there are some conditions where meds will definitely keep you going.
I am not advocating stopping prescribed meds at all, just that you get as much information as possible about what you are taking....knowing the side effects etc.
So being unmedicated does not necessarily mean a shorter life.
And life....well it should be more about QUALITY.
After all who wants to live to be a hundred if you cannot eat what you like, or have an active life doing things that give you pleasure.
I used to take my Ma for her medical appointments....she was a type 2 diabetic for the last fifteen years of her life.
Her medications to control her diabetes affected her kidneys and brought on heart failure.
Her diet was supposed to be salt free, carbohydrate controlled, sugar free, he heart failure meant her fluids were restricted too.
Her GP wanted her to get her blood sugars down to a ridiculous level....this was when she was in her 80's she could have done it, but she would have had very little pleasure in life.
So we opted for Quality.....and she lived to be 91.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-08-2020 at 12:33.
Old 15-08-2020, 12:39   #890
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
in fact it is not a law that anyone (Has) to wear a mask.

Not quite sure on the legalities here, but not wearing a mask in certain situations can incur fines, that sounds like a law to me Taddy, break it get fined. Like I said, not sure of the legal angle or if it was passed in the h.o.c & now on the statutes.

There has certainly been lots of confusion & misrepresentation from all corners over the whole performance in general but I'm pretty sure sharper minds than mine can turn "convictions" out or in depending on their viewpoint (make that fee).
taddy likes this.
Old 15-08-2020, 12:46   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Exile, I think Big Pharma are global lobbyists.....and their influence and power is scarifying.

They are not interested in the health of any nation...they are not philanthropists, they are greedy money grabbing industries that know the kind of hold a huge world vaccine program would have on their coffers.

All the Pharma companies want us all to be medicated in some way.
A few years ago it was mooted that all over 55 yr olds would be given a 'polypill' that would protect them from a variety of ailments that are linked to ageing.

All medicines have side effects and some of these need medication to control them....so had this gone ahead we would all be guzzling down pills to supposedly keep us well and meds to cope with the side effects of the pills that were given to keep us well....meanwhile the big pharma are laughing all the way to the bank.

Alternative therapies are discouraged by medical practitioners because they know that this will rob them and the Pharma companies of money....so your doctor will never recommend homeopathy, or osteopathy or any other of the alternative health products.

I stay away from Doctors as much as I can because I do not wish to be medicated purely on my age.
I take no prescribed medicines, I eat fresh food, I keep active both mentally and physically....and when I am called off this lake, I want to go without any meddling.
I cannot argue with your sentiments Marge but then again you must admit that you have been very fortunate in not having any serious illness or accidents in your life.
As I have stated in an earlier post but for the knowledge and dedication of the medical staff and the scientific brakethroughs over the years, I would have died in 1968. The skill of the Surgeon,(Mr Jacks),and the nursing staff under Sister Hayes at Accrington Victoria have allowed me to agree or to disagree, or to agree (to) disagree with whom so ever I wish but then again with me being a naturally cantankerous little sod, maybe I would have come back and haunted this site anyway.
Ah well, Approaching Hobgoblin time, stay happy.
Your's, a Cantankerous Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 13:35   #892
Beacon of light

I remember both of those people very fondly.
Sister Hayes was a charm to work for. ( she was night Sister on my first set of nights as a student....she said I had a lot of 'oil in my lamp'....I later learned that this meant she trusted me)
Mr Jacks...I was scared of.
He was lovely with patients, but I was a very junior student when I first met up with him....and was(at that time) in awe of consultants.

I have had my share of surgery... both major and minor, although I contend that there is no such thing as minor surgery, except when it is happening to someone else.
I have also had some quite scary procedures too...but no serious accidents(thankfully...and don't want any).
Taddy, you are allowed to be as cantankerous as you like...it is not illegal and in some instances might even add to your charm

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-08-2020 at 13:41.
Old 16-08-2020, 07:47   #893
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not advocating stopping prescribed meds at all, just that you get as much information as possible about what you are taking....knowing the side effects etc.

So we opted for Quality.....and she lived to be 91.
bit like my old man. he had a very serious heart attack when he was 59. when he came out of hospital he had some medication to take and a regular visit back to the hospital. he wanted to see a few hartlepool home games before he died and used to shuffle off with me to sit in the main stand. he hated sitting at football and after a few months of this decided to ditch the medicines and hospital visits to carry on as normal. 20 years later he was walking my dog when i was back home again between marriages. the walk was about 3 miles long. he lasted to 88 doing what he wanted till the last week of his life. active life and talking to any woman who,d listen to him.
Old 16-08-2020, 09:20   #894
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
bit like my old man. he had a very serious heart attack when he was 59. when he came out of hospital he had some medication to take and a regular visit back to the hospital. he wanted to see a few hartlepool home games before he died and used to shuffle off with me to sit in the main stand. he hated sitting at football and after a few months of this decided to ditch the medicines and hospital visits to carry on as normal. 20 years later he was walking my dog when i was back home again between marriages. the walk was about 3 miles long. he lasted to 88 doing what he wanted till the last week of his life. active life and talking to any woman who,d listen to him.
Great story, MH.
But then many of us would have to walk more than three miles to find a woman who’d listen to us!
monkey hanger likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 09:36   #895
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Great story, MH.
But then many of us would have to walk more than three miles to find a woman who’d listen to us!
just wished i,d taken after him with his confidence with women. too shy when i was younger like my ma.
Old 16-08-2020, 11:12   #896
Beacon of light

Maybe it was a generational thing.
Where ever I took Ma...and I would park her wheelchair while I went and explored(at her insistence) before I left her I would tell her not to talk to strange men.
I could guarantee that when I returned she would be in conversation with some chap or other.
In the Isle of Wight one chap wheeled her off somewhere.
When I got back to where I had left her, she had gone.
I looked around and saw this elderly upright gentleman wheeling her back towards me.
He had taken her to a cafe and they had had a cup of tea together.
Old 16-08-2020, 15:08   #897
God Member

Reminds me that, many years ago, I was with my wife in London waiting cross a busy road near Trafalgar Square. I saw a suitable gap in the traffic, grabbed her by the hand, said “let’s go”, and pulled her gently across to the other side. When we both got there I turned to find I was holding hands with a total stranger. My wife, laughing, was still on the other side of the road.
Old 18-08-2020, 16:29   #898
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
You must have a posh Aldi MH, at ours we've still just got someone on the door telling us when we can go in - traffic lights would be nice
Just an update on this, just been to Accrington Aldi & they now have traffic lights over the door telling you whether to go in or whether you need to wait, ladies & gents the technology has arrived
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 17:03   #899
God Member

Can we have this guy reporting in this country?

Old 19-08-2020, 08:01   #900
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Can we have this guy reporting in this country?

we have no chance. just substitute australia for britain and its just the same. when will the majority of the country just wake up and realize the con we have had put onto us.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..