Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2020, 09:18   #1231
God Member

Re: Corona Virus

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1246314]

Monkey hanger, it is not quite as simple as that.
I think it is more about the reputation of some universities.
Some universities have better reputations and look better on a CV.
Also the courses that the universities provide are not the same.

i understand this and realize with the wider number of couses that are available nowadays its far different to when i left school. with some you have no option but to travel miles from home. doing any degree at say oxford is far removed from doing the same one at say huddersfield for yourself and your CV. however i still stand by what i wrote earlier. if the course you wanted was available local and they were told it was that or nothing i still wonder if the uptake would have been as high as it would be.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2020, 10:07   #1232

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1246326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Monkey hanger, it is not quite as simple as that.
I think it is more about the reputation of some universities.
Some universities have better reputations and look better on a CV.
Also the courses that the universities provide are not the same.

i understand this and realize with the wider number of couses that are available nowadays its far different to when i left school. with some you have no option but to travel miles from home. doing any degree at say oxford is far removed from doing the same one at say huddersfield for yourself and your CV. however i still stand by what i wrote earlier. if the course you wanted was available local and they were told it was that or nothing i still wonder if the uptake would have been as high as it would be.

Its worth remembering that as a result of the funding changes for students that occured some years ago (can not remember exactly when) the percentage of students who went to their 'local university' and lived at home went up dramatically. I am aware of 1 student who commuted to his local uni, a 150 mile/day (bus miles involving 3 different buses) round trip and found it very hard going. Also a lot of his time was wasted as trying to do any 'work' (i.e. reading) whilst commuting was ineffective. Needless to say he took this option for purely financial reasons, and I'm glad to say did get a degree although he was nearly broken by the effort he had to put in to do it.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:22   #1233
Beacon of light

Monkey Hanger, the graphs are meant to bamboozle and they are meaningless without context.
It is like the polls that suggest that Scotland would win the next referendum because 52%
Would vote in favour....what it does not tell you(or if it does it is in tiny print at the end of the article) is that they sampled 1100 people....and on this small sample they have come to the conclusion that Scotland would break away.
I have only used that analogy because it is fairly current and explains the point.

It is pointless telling us how many people have tested positive for the virus if
A) we do not know how many total tests were done
B) how many were repeat tests(that is, done on the same person)
C) how many people are ill
D) how many people from the sample required hospital treatment.

25% of those infected have acquired the infection while in hospital for some other reason.

We should also be told how many people actually died from the virus....not this ‘died within 28 days of a positive test.
If they died as a result of a road accident or some other unrelated medical event, then these should be weeded out of the stats.

As someone once said ‘There are lies, Damn lies, and statistics’
They all boil down to the same thing.
We are being treated like retarded 12 year olds, not capable of buttering our own bread.

The thought of lockdown with no end in sight is enough to tip people over the edge.
Lockdown did not work the first time....and not because it was not observed, because it was.
It won’t work this time either...or if it is done a third time.
All it does is kick the can down the road to be dealt with later.
All this in the hope that a vaccine will sort it....I think that is a vain hope too.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:56   #1234
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1246333]

The thought of lockdown with no end in sight is enough to tip people over the edge.
Lockdown did not work the first time....and not because it was not observed, because it was.
It won’t work this time either...or if it is done a third time.

ever thought that these virus measures are also being used to get the public just thinking about one real issue and one issue only. with businesses closing down every day its obvious that mass unemployment will be on its way. we all know where this will hit the most. every so called lockdown will create someone else who close down with the job loss with it. if the general public could see into the near future where they can see how their lives have been shaped by a few graphs i doubt they would be as keen in lapping up news from boris, gloom and doom. wait till rishi washi,s sticking plaster does start coming off then people might wake up.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:07   #1235
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Lockdown the first time was NOT OBSERVED there were plenty of Dickheads marching for B.L.M. amongst other things,also plenty of fools and selfish young people doing other stuff. the only way to have a chance of it working good, is COME DOWN HARD on all the fools that ignore it, Money always talks.
Old 02-11-2020, 14:33   #1236
Beacon of light

Well, Cashy, my perception of it was that the first three months were observed by the majority of people...certainly those that I know.
It was after the killing of George Floyd and the development of the BLM organisation that Demo’s took place, largely in London, but later in other cities....but the first demo in London was the 13th of June...by which time some of the lockdown restrictions had loosened.(the lockdown measures were eased on the 23rd June).....so these demo’s were at the end of the lockdown.

It was inevitable that there would be an increase in infections once rules were eased....all that the lockdown did was buy some time.

Cashy, this lockdown will work no better than the last. People have ‘lockdown fatigue’...they are fed up with being under house arrest.
Coming down hard as you put it is not the way.
We have been promised test and trace, but it is a fiasco....so is that the fault of the government...or is the fault of those who want to go about their lives peacefully?

It is not natural to be unable to be in touch with family.
I will certainly not be limiting my support for my family members who need me.
If that makes me a selfish dickhead, then so be it.
I will take my chance.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 02-11-2020 at 14:37.
Old 02-11-2020, 15:23   #1237

Quote:
People have ‘lockdown fatigue’...they are fed up with being under house arrest.

Oh so true. I feel like opening the front door and shouting at the top of my voice "I've done the time, now may I commit the crime"

A few minutes ago while I was making a cuppa the phone rang and went to the answer machine before I got there. Huge dissapointment they rang off after the first word from the answer machine. The thought went through my mind that if I had not been making that cuppa I could have answered that and although it was a SPAM call provided I severely moderated my normal reaction I could probably have kept them on the line (and severely confused) for about 2 minutes or even longer. Its getting bad.

Dare I mention Christmas. I think Charles Dickens possibly got it wrong. Marley's Ghost wasn't embroiled in chains and cash boxes, he was embroiled in chains, keys and face masks.

Rant over.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 16:26   #1238
Beacon of light

I can identify with that.
I have always been a law abiding upstanding citizen....but I am getting to the point of anarchy.
If I could see the sense in any of these badly thought out rules, then maybe I would feel differently...but I can’t.
The rules do not protect us...they only enslave and imprison us.
Since when has it been right to quarantine the healthy?
Who is taking care of my human rights?....please don’t tell me that this is being done to save me.....I think the alternative would be a better option....and I never thought I would ever think that.
If this virus is killing people...it is culling those that are old, unhealthy and probably would not want to have all of us imprisoned for their sake.
Look at the Barrington Declaration...see how many knowledgeable people are against what is supposed to be science.
Are you going to tell me that all of them are nutters, conspiracy theorists.
Look at the plan that Dr Tom Jefferson and Carl Heneghan has put together and tell me that it is not better than this.

I am not ranting...I am calmly stating what I believe...but that dies not mean you have to believe it too...if you are happy to be locked up now...and again in three months...and again in another three months.
Old 02-11-2020, 18:55   #1239
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Well, Cashy, my perception of it was that the first three months were observed by the majority of people...certainly those that I know.
It was after the killing of George Floyd and the development of the BLM organisation that Demo’s took place, largely in London, but later in other cities....but the first demo in London was the 13th of June...by which time some of the lockdown restrictions had loosened.(the lockdown measures were eased on the 23rd June).....so these demo’s were at the end of the lockdown.

It was inevitable that there would be an increase in infections once rules were eased....all that the lockdown did was buy some time.

Cashy, this lockdown will work no better than the last. People have ‘lockdown fatigue’...they are fed up with being under house arrest.
Coming down hard as you put it is not the way.
We have been promised test and trace, but it is a fiasco....so is that the fault of the government...or is the fault of those who want to go about their lives peacefully?

It is not natural to be unable to be in touch with family.
I will certainly not be limiting my support for my family members who need me.
If that makes me a selfish dickhead, then so be it.
I will take my chance.
The majority of people i know observed it margaret but i do the shopping take the dog for a walk etc quite a few i do not know did not observe it at all, in fact those that work on buildings and such things certainly were not in general,though the worst were young people you know damn well i aint labelling you a dickhead.in fact i think thats intimaiting an insult i think.
Old 02-11-2020, 19:09   #1240
Beacon of light

Cashy, you say it how you see it...and it means that everyone knows where they stand with you.
If you think I was intimating an insult then you do not know me very well...but there are others who would perhaps think I was selfish....
Like you I say it how I see it and my perception of the early lockdown stands...

the buses were empty...the roads were empty(it usually takes me on average five minutes to get a break in traffic when I go to see my daughter)...I could cross that road during lockdown at any time of the day without taking my life in my hands.

apart from the initial panic buying the shops were quiet too..because everyone seemed to be getting their shopping delivered.
Now if you saw something different...then I have to accept that.

What I do know is that I will be going about my life in a different way this time.....
I will do what I need to do to look after my family.
Old 02-11-2020, 19:18   #1241
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

we attempted to get shopping delivered and were told we could have it in a fortnight, so obviously i declined and did it myself though i go for it between 6-00 and 7-30 at morning.i hold the belief that i am safe enough if im sensible, but have seen a hell of a lot that are not, those are the dickheads in my view.
Old 02-11-2020, 19:26   #1242
Beacon of light

we have not shopped online...and many firms were not taking on new online customers so like you we shopped early morning....mostly it was himself who went out and about...I ventured out only ten times from the lockdown being put in place to the end when resrtictions were lifted.
For three months I never went into Daughters house...just put food on her doorstep,knocked and left...I won't be doing that either this time.
My life has been put on hold for more than long enough...this is not living, it is not even existing....I am wise enough to look after myself...I will do what I have done all slong to protect myself.....as long as that does not mean I am incarcerated.

I will not be doing that this time
Old 03-11-2020, 09:18   #1243
Beacon of light

I noticed in the Mail today there is a report on how the government has manipulated statistics....how they have been offering figures with no context(which makes them meaningless because you cannot derive any meaning from them.
This is a mainstream media source.....so if they are now mentioning it, then is there still no cause for concern about the general agenda.

We are putting the country into the hands of a few men(four to be precise) who are making major decisions which will influence our future for generations.

The figures in context tell a very different story to the one we are being fed on a frequent basis.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21   #1244
Beacon of light

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...king-down.html

And this too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-NOT-used.html
Old 03-11-2020, 09:46   #1245
God Member

Quote:
My life has been put on hold for more than long enough...this is not living, it is not even existing....I am wise enough to look after myself...I will do what I have done all slong to protect myself.....as long as that does not mean I am incarcerated.

I will not be doing that this time
do your own graph in various colours and you,ll be guarenteed safety.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..