Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2007, 09:08   #151
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Councillors in Hyndburn - Are they fit for purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Gondola, lighten up - Neil was joking and if you'd care to read any other threads you'll see that there is plenty of banter that flies around.
He was Joking? Well I paid Neil a tenner for each number, is that why it's always on answerphone? Would I be able to get my money back even though I haven't got a receipt?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-03-2007, 09:11   #152
I am Banned

Mr Britcliffe does not consider the recent monstrous blunder by the Licensing Committee sufficiently important for it to be an election issue. However, for purposes of establishing a basis for comparative evaluation I submit below a link to the recent decision to expel a Headteacher who made a similar gaffe. At least in that case heads have rolled and rightly so, notwithstanding the fact that the offender never had any contact with children.

The reason for dismissal appears to have been the fact that procedures were not followed for whatever reason. A failure to do so may have led to potentially devastating consequences. So why can we not have the same outcome in this matter i.e those members that voted in favour be suspended from their duties until the investigation is completed. Further if it is found that they did not adhere to the rules, then they should be made to go.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6506613.stm
gondola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 09:15   #153
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
Headteacher who made a similar gaffe. At least in that case heads have rolled
Heads that rolled, was that an attempt at humour? You may be normal after all. I was starting to think you were a Southerner

I take it you were waiting till Friday so you could post the outcome of that hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondola View Post
The reason for dismissal appears to have been the fact that procedures were not followed for whatever reason. A failure to do so may have led to potentially devastating consequences. So why can we not have the same outcome in this matter i.e those members that voted in favour be suspended from their duties until the investigation is completed. Further if it is found that they did not adhere to the rules, then they should be made to go.
That is what should happen but with a couple of Tories that should go that will not happen will it?

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2007 at 09:21.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 09:22   #154

I'm beginning to think gondola is still on dial up, he nips in makes a post then logs out straight away, this thread must be costing him a fortune, so Working on the theory of how they treat our money, He could be a Councillor!
Old 30-03-2007, 09:24   #155
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Maybe he logs out but still keeps an eye on the thread as a guest.

Unless all the guests watching this thread work at HBC
Old 30-03-2007, 09:25   #156
I am Banned

''That is what should happen but with a couple of Tories that should go that will not happen will it?''

Well, in that case the voting public ought to make sure they take the matter into their own hands. The simplest way would be to make it known to their Ward candidate that they refuse to vote for him/her on the basis that their views are not considered appropriate in matters of importance. If others were to do the same, indubitably the political parties would have to take notice.
Old 30-03-2007, 09:44   #157
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
He was Joking? Well I paid Neil a tenner for each number, is that why it's always on answerphone? Would I be able to get my money back even though I haven't got a receipt?
Awww, you know I gave you my number ages ago!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 09:44   #158
I am Banned

So far as regards the view that the role of Mayor should be banished, I have no real view. However, on balance I think the Mayor can serve to act as an ambassador or some such for a Town, and if the person selected is credible can promote the interests of residents. This I am mildly of the view that the role ought to be continued, provided the person is of distinction in terms of service.

However, having someone like Kazi Siddique in such a position (I am reliably informed that he remains confident of being selected as the next Mayor) can only be an impediment to the interests of the residents of Hyndburn. Can anyone here point out to me what good, if any, Mr Siddique has done since being elected as Councillor? No, thought not.
Old 30-03-2007, 09:50   #159
God Member

Well I don't know anything about Cllr Siddique but I do know that Cllr Rahman has been an excellent Mayor for Hyndburn. He is possibly one of the hardest working men I've ever met and he is also one of the nicest. He fulfills all his official duties with a wonderful smile on his face and his wife is elegant and gracious.

A Mayor can be an excellent asset to an area if they are a good Mayor. They can be ambassadors for the area both inside the area and outside it. If the Mayor attends a function it gives it a certain level of gravitas and support.

PS - if you invite the Mayor to attend your event the press usually comes along and takes a picture so you get extra publicity for your events.

Old 30-03-2007, 09:54   #160

Quote:
Awww, you know I gave you my number ages ago!
yes 118 118 it costs me a fortune each time I try to contact you!
Old 30-03-2007, 09:55   #161
I am Banned

I agree. Councillor Rahman has been a good Mayor. Of course, he combined such duties with his demanding role as a G.P. However, Mr Siddique, like many other councillors unfit for the role, does not have a job. Nor has he had one for the entire time he has been a Councillor I suspect. Thus he surely must have had more opportunity than Mr Rahman to contribute to Hyndburn. I ask again, what contribution has he made?

Thus, with little if any contribution, is it right that he be given the role of Mayor?
Old 30-03-2007, 10:02   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm beginning to think gondola is still on dial up, he nips in makes a post then logs out straight away, this thread must be costing him a fortune, so Working on the theory of how they treat our money, He could be a Councillor!
Hmm, not only could he be a councillor but a councillor that is upset by not being offered his rightful position of his Worship the mayor for yet another year!

Quote:
gondola= Thus he surely must have had more opportunity than Mr Rahman to contribute to Hyndburn. I ask again, what contribution has he made?

Thus, with little if any contribution, is it right that he be given the role of Mayor?
Old 30-03-2007, 10:07   #163
I am Banned

Gayle wrote: Well I don't know anything about Cllr Siddique

I am well aware that you are involved with many community groups in Hyndburn. I also note that Mr Siddique is the Portfolio holder for Community Cohesion. This I am staggered that you know nothing of him. Surely an integral part of his duty must be dealing with the community groups and the community in general.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:02   #164
God Member

You are quite right, I am a member of a number of community groups but at no point have I had any contact with Cllr Siddique - however, I doubt whether he'd want to join Hyndburn Women's Forum or be involved with a drama group.

I suppose the one you would imagine that he might get involved in would be the Mela and Community Festival - he has not attended any meetings of that, however, Cllr Brian Roberts has been a regular attendee so we have had council representation.

And, in all fairness to Brian, he has been a valuable member of the committee lately and has delivered when he's said he would.

Old 30-03-2007, 11:20   #165
I am Banned

Quote:
You are quite right, I am a member of a number of community groups but at no point have I had any contact with Cllr Siddique - however, I doubt whether he'd want to join Hyndburn Women's Forum or be involved with a drama group.

I suppose the one you would imagine that he might get involved in would be the Mela and Community Festival - he has not attended any meetings of that, however, Cllr Brian Roberts has been a regular attendee so we have had council representation.

And, in all fairness to Brian, he has been a valuable member of the committee lately and has delivered when he's said he would.
Well you seem to be reinforcing the view that his contributions to the community are negligible. Surely other Councillors need to vent these concerns to those that have afforded him the role of Portfolio holder for Community Cohesion. After all, if it is your view that he has failed to get involved at functions at which someone with his responsibility could make a positive impact then surely the role ought to go to someone with a more active interest in such matters.
Furthermore, I lift verbatim from the response by Mr Jones on the other thread a few days ago (which he later edited though I have saved). In it he stated that Mr Siddique does not speak much English. As portfolio holder for Community Cohesion part of his remit is to promote integration of different community groups. If he cannot speak English, then how can he achieve such a goal? Surely ‘community’ represents all the different strands of people in Hyndburn, and not just those loosely termed ‘Asian’.
I appreciate that such a role would require an appreciation of the culture of the Indian Sub-Continent. However, it also needs someone with the necessary skills set to engage the wider community. Perhaps most importantly, it requires someone with a tenacious attitude, something Mr Siddique clearly does not have.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..