Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2018, 06:17   #16

Re: De Lacey family

Thank you for your praise, Margaret, but to be honest the way back to Roger in 1663 was quite easy as everything fell into place for once, thanks to the different records I was able to use and the help I received from other people. One Marsden man who gave me some valuable help has been researching this family for more than 25 years! Now THAT’S persistence and dedication.

I do have names and some information of possible mums and dads in the different generations going back to dear old Pete and his missus (she of the de Lacy stock) but there isn’t absolute evidence that they are the right lot – and some of the info I have doesn’t quite gel.

Like you say, it is very addictive and can be very frustrating – but how good is it when things fall into place and a bit more is learnt about those who have gone before you.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-03-2018, 08:14   #17
Full Member+

I have Duxbury in my direct line, Martha Duxbury.1848, from Blackburn, married my 2 x grandfather and we have them living on Ranger Street, Accrington on the 1891 census.

Martha Duxbury Info File

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 08:59   #18
Beacon of light

Ooh, my grandad was George Duxbury...but George Ratcliffe Duxbury....and he was born in Clayton le Moors. I have looked at the link and alas none of the other names ring bells, however, maybe I just have not found them yet
I will be doing some searching later today, as it is a miserable grey day.
It is a very entertaining activity...just a bit frustrating at times.
Thank you for that info Morecambe ex pat. Will look into it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 11:58   #19
Full Member+

I assume that he is George Ratcliffe Duxbury.1900 which would be my paternal grandfather's generation.
This branch of the family originate in Blackburn but may have got to Accrington via Clayton

A bit more work needs to be done to before you have any claim to my collection of empty beer bottles and out of date chocolate bars.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 31-03-2018 at 12:01.
Old 31-03-2018, 12:21   #20
Beacon of light

Yes, you are right...that is the one.
You are right about it needing more work...I might just do some of that later on today.
Who knows....we might just be related...I am not sure if I should be pleased for you or sorry for you...having me as a leaf on your family tree.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 31-03-2018, 19:32   #21
Senior Member+

Check out the website of the Lancashire Family History Society. On the home page is a turquouse block - clickm onto it then type in the name Duxbury. ( or any other) It will then let you see which members of the society are already researching this name and likely to help you. if you send them a message via the society. A prominent officer of the so0ciety is researching Duxburys. Message me if you fail to make contact and I will put you in touch with him,
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 20:28   #22
Beacon of light

Thanks for that information Bob..Will give that a go sometime over the weekend.
I have been playing out on Ancestry....isn't it amazing how time flies when you are having fun?
Anyway, I am pleased to say that I have found my grandma's dad....so she was not a fatherless child after all....now that has set me off looking for their parents.
finding her dad (William Lea) was a real eureka moment for me...but my brain is mangled right now...and my eyes are all goggly
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20   #23
Full Member+

Our research has come on in leaps and bounds after we were given a year's subscription to Ancestry. The access to census records is invaluable but I am not as excited about the numerous member family trees.

Many of the ones relevant to us contain far too many errors to be taken seriously.
They are useful in suggesting possible connections but it would appear that many of them are copied en masse without checking the facts.

There is a really good example in our Lofthouse group where a man is shown to have married his brother, 3 years before he was born.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:52   #24
Senior Member+

There are two family history groups in Lancaster, and I think one of them meets in Morecambe library
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23   #25
Full Member+

We have a few connections with Lancaster and Morecambe but at the moment we are concentrating on other areas.

We will be joining the LFHHS group but at the moment most of our time is being spent on other matters. The London branch is of particular interest as we have direct links between Accrington and Surrey and have been unable to go back any further. The lack of BMD in London and surrounding areas makes remote research very difficult. we are so lucky, here in Lancashire to have such a fabulous public archive created by so many willing volunteers.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:03   #26

Morecambe Ex Pat, you are so right about errors in the family trees on various sites. Some people just copy things without researching or bothering about the obvious mistakes. One example in my lot is that according to records this particular ancestor and his two siblings were born a few years AFTER his supposed mother had died. The explanation is that his father had been married twice and both times to a Mary. The first Mary had passed away but someone had assumed that all his children had the same Mary as their mother, without checking on dates. It was blatantly obvious that this couldn't be the case but I found the same mistake had been made on several trees so someone must have copied from the first error and then others had done likewise, copying from each other.
Morecambe Ex Pat and hilleluk like this.

Last edited by dotti34; 01-04-2018 at 10:06.
Old 11-12-2019, 19:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
I find this a very interesting thread as maybe I’m related to the de Lacy family (however way it’s spelt – and whichever branch). If records are correct then Helena de Lacy (born about 1154 either in Pontefract Priory or Clitheroe Castle – depending on which record can be believed) married Pietro de Merclesden (who was a Chaplain) and they most likely became something like my 23 x grandparents.

I say 'maybe' because I have only been able to trace the Marsden family line of mine back to 1663 with any certainty but if I can believe so-called ‘evidence’ then my family line does include Pietro (Peter) and therefore Helena. Well anyway I’m claiming it does.

By the way, this Helena’s parents were apparently John FitzRichard de Lacy and Alice de Vere. As Johnny was Baron of Pontefract it makes sense that Helena was born there and not Clitheroe, whether it makes sense that she was my grandmother 23 times removed is another question.
Hi. I’m researching my ancestry - my grandmother was Alice Marsden and I’ve traced back and come across the de laceys which works out around 24 generations. I was just wondering if you had more information re the Marsden family and which arm you have followed
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2019, 10:37   #28
Senior Member+

The secretary (?) of the Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society is caled John Marsden. He is a very active genealogist. I feel sure he will correspond with you over the Marsdens
Old 28-12-2019, 23:34   #29

Sorry, Marsden, I have only just seen your post hence not replying to it earlier. I've only just got home from being away with my family for a holiday but once I have settled myself I'll send you a private message to see if we can find some connection and if I can be of any help. It might be a day or so, so please bear with me. I'll be interested to know what records you used to trace back to the de Lacys by the way as the original lot that I followed was full of inconsistencies as far as my family were concerned.
Old 30-12-2019, 01:55   #30

Marsden....I have sent you a p.m. as promised. Hope I am going to be able to help you and maybe you will be able to help me.

Bob...If the John Marsden you mention is the same John M that I was in contact with some time ago, he is very knowledgeable and gave me much useful information.
Bob Dobson likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..