Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2023, 23:33   #1
Full Member+

Disappointed

I've noticed that fewer and fewer of the regulars to Accrington Web have been posting, myself included, but, and this is not a criticism, when the only posts to the forum are Stanley related, it's hardly surprising that fewer and fewer members are posting on the forum.

This isn't and probably won't be the last time this is mentioned.

But the Forum is called Accrington Web, not Accrington Stanley Web, although for all intents and purposes it may as well be. I'm not a football fan, of any team.

I use/or did use this forum because I live in Accrington, my mother and her parents lived in Accrington, her mother worked at Ewbank and her father worked as a postman and lived on Lower Antley Street. The point is for the last month every post on the forum has been football based.
Old 26-10-2023, 14:17   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Disappointed

stop moaning every post has not been stanley based at all most have NOT ALL.
Old 27-10-2023, 01:28   #3

Ryewolf there have been a number of times lately that I have written something similar to your post but then have deleted it without posting because I knew it would get the sort of predictable response that your post has got and I find this very frustrating.

Predictable and also disappointing. Predictable because it’s the same sort of previous response to the subject, disappointing because the comment made regarding your post was from someone who not long ago was a prolific contributor on numerous subjects not just those relating to the round ball.

A cup of caffeine and a visit to Accrington Web was at one time my start to the day and I greatly enjoyed having my say as well. Now as much as I do not like saying this, I feel it is a waste of time. Threads get very little airing and very little response from members.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Accyweb being an outlet for football fans to have their say but there are other things going on in the world that could be discussed as well, including of course local issues....

…..and Cashie, Ryewolf is not moaning he is stating the facts as they are. Anyone who can’t see that needs to go to Specsavers.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 17:11   #4
Full Member+

Yes and go dam quick before another Accrington shop shuts down.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2023, 21:02   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
stop moaning every post has not been stanley based at all most have NOT ALL.

I'll bloody well moan as much as I want, the last month 99% of all posts on this forum were Stanley based, I'm not the only person to comment on this over the last 5 or 12 months. Most days Stanley posts are between !00% and 90% of the topics posted on every single day. This forum is about Accrington, the town, and not exclusively about the football club. And no doubt the fact that the local newspaper is saying the Stanley is up for sale will increase the number of Stanley posts.

I once again point out that the forum is called "Accrington Web", not Accrington Stanley Web.

But who cares, I've asked for my account to be deleted, so you can all talk about the football club as much as you like, because I feel like the forum is no longer about people who live or have connections with the town but about it's football club.
Old 28-10-2023, 04:41   #6

Ryewolf I can understand how you feel because you really have tried to get more going on this site than Stanley stuff, but I personally wish you wouldn’t cease your membership.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:09   #7
Beacon of light

Ryewolf, I am being truly selfish here, but i would miss your posts...especially the photo's.
You have contributes some excellent stuff to the forum.

I have been a long standing member, but like you I have very little I can contribute to the forum because all of it is about Stanley.

In the past when I have mentioned that the forum is a one trick Pony...Stanley and only Stanley, it has been mentioned that the answer is in my hands.
That I should post something that will interest members.

Yes...I have done that to find that in a blink of an eye my post has gone the way of the rest of the general stuff...right down the gurgler.

I used to visit every day. I used to write a blog. The blogs have gone and do not look like they will return...the posts are all about Stanley...so my presence is pointless.

And Cashy...I like you, you are an honest guy who tells it like it is, but this time you have got it wrong.
Many days there has been nothing in the General Section of the forum...absolute zero.
Your post to Ryewolf is not only wrong, but it is discourteous. If you tell me that you were just saying it as it is...then again you are wrong.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 09:16   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Please your self he said every post had been stanley when it was not..
Old 28-10-2023, 09:23   #9
Beacon of light

Are you talking about just today Cashy?
because if you are then the comment is justified, but if you are talking about the recent past few weeks, then you are wrong.

I visit the forum just to see if there is anything I can post to also to see if the blogs have been reinstated(I have a lot to add to those after my Annus Horribilis (horrible Year)...but I tell you there has been nothing to post to for those of us who do not follow Stanley.
If you think otherwise then you are deluded.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 04-11-2023, 15:21   #10
Senior Member+

there is accrington stanley page under hobbies & sport for stanley fans to talk football, and a general chat page here, I don't understand what the problem is
AccyMad likes this.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 17:12   #11
Beacon of light

The problem if that is what you want to call it, is that frequently there is nothing for those of us who do not follow football, to post to.
There are some members who post only to the football based threads.

I have tried to stimulate interest in the ‘general’ part of the forum, but little interest is shown in any of these posts.
This means I come on here…have a look at the days posts and ALL of them relate to Accrington Stanley.
This means that there is zero for me to participate in.
What I know about football could be written in the head of a pin in capital letters.

I hope that helps you understand the issue.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:07   #12
Senior Member+

still trying to understand the problem, reading your post, it's not about accy stanley fans invading the general chat page and talking about accy stanley, but is more about the lack of posters on the general chat page,
Old 05-11-2023, 09:13   #13
Beacon of light

So then you DO understand what I am talking about.
No one said it was about Stanley fans invading General Chat.

It was about these fans not posting to anything else….it was also about our feelings of futility when we who post to the ‘general’ bit of the forum see nothing on the days posts other than Stanley section.

It seems not to matter what we post about…there is very little interest.

I have been a member of the forum for 19 years….I have posted and participated on lots of different topics…just not football because I have little knowledge and even less interest.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:23   #14
Senior Member+

thanks for making it clear to me, the old adage says, **{you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink**** sorry I have no solution to this issue, perhaps we can get the moderator to issue finds for non- attendance, I jest
Old 05-11-2023, 12:24   #15
Beacon of light

No, Accybeme that is not the answer at all and I find that suggestion to be quite condescending.
You cannot compel people to participate in other sections….but there are a small group of members who try to engage others by posting subjects that are current and interesting, but to no avail.
It feels like a worthless task because our efforts do not get the notice that they might do.

I have been told that the answer is in my hands…that I should post something more interesting….but tell me what that is, because I have not found that topic.

What is needed is people who engage with a variety of sections of the forum…if that does not happen then all that will be left is the Stanley section.
That might not worry those who have that as their only input to the forum

The forum risks losing members who have participated in numerous sections of the forum.
(I have taken part in blogs, anything goes, the photo comps when they were going)
This would be to the detriment of the forum.

In the past, people have said that Accyweb is dying. I always refuted that claim, but it is looking like it is coming true and the name will be changed to AccyStanleyWeb.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 05-11-2023 at 12:30.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..