Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance
Yes 1 8.33%
No 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 14:02   #166
Beacon of light

Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Ed Miliband is suggesting that there will be border controls if the yes vote wins....well that will be a first.
Borders became so porous during the last government as to be almost non existent.
We haven't a clue who is here and whether or not they should be.
I can't see this changing soon.....and Alex Salmond must be peeing his pants laughing at this 'threat'.

As for your last sentence Gordon......it has to be a possibility.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2014, 14:11   #167
Senior Member+

Ed Miliband must be panicking, even if he wins the next election once he loses the Scottish MPs he's lost his majority- he's out-maybe forever.
Alistair Darling will be OK of course, he's a Scottish MP, he'll still have a job and when it all goes wrong and the SNP lose power he could end up as the Scottish PM! Now there's a silver lining!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:14   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ed Miliband is suggesting that there will be border controls

when he is informed that not all scottish people wear kilts he will probbably backtrack on that as they wont be as easy to spot as he first thought
MargaretR likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 20:44   #169
God Member

Not much interest in the vote over here ... more folks are taken up by the annual Banjo Bowl between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. But from what we get in the media, and what is available from the UK press, I can't for the life of me see what Scotland has to gain ... and it's easy to figure out what they will lose: they will move from being a member of a powerful economy all the way to the sidelines ... they will have nonentity status pdq. It's not as if they don't have a "national" identity that is recognized world wide. Other than causing a big party and mammoth booze up, a yes victory gets them nowhere fast. Once the euphoria and the hangovers have gone, they wake up to being a third-rate state, renowned for their whiskey and little else. They will sail bravely into a backwater or irrelevance.

Quebec ... the French guys ... under its new premier, Philippe Couillard, seems to be increasingly content with its "distinct society" status within an economically powerful Canada. (Quebec is the most indebted province in Canada, and benefits from transfer payments from wealthy anglophone provinces such as Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, and BC. If any of you visit, say, Montreal ... an amazing city by the way ... don't be surprised to find that all signs are in French: there is a "French only" law governing this. Children of immigrants are educated in French. There are areas of the province where French is not just the dominant language; it's the only language. Eight million Canadians speak French as their first language ... I could go on; but I'm probably boring you already. Being as brief as possible, the Scots can have their haggis and eat it too by remaining in the UK. in the same way that Quebecois can maintain and develop their uniqueness within Canada.

By the way, my Canada includes Quebec ... mon Canada inclut le Quebec.

The Scots have a lot to think about in the next few days ... maybe sanity will prevail.

Hey, Saskatchewan just scored a touchdown
mobertol, Stevie R, Turtle and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Eric; 07-09-2014 at 20:46.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 22:17   #170

Sorry, I can't get excited over football, Eric, it's just not my thing. But I like your sentiments on Quebec and Scotland
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 22:39   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Sorry, I can't get excited over football, Eric, it's just not my thing.
I lived in Saskatchewan for almost 20 years ... my son teaches engineering at the U of S ... I'm a true stubble jumper. And a great fan of the green and white And they are ahead 30 t0 17 in the fourth quarter.

Is this off-topic, or what.
mobertol and Turtle like this.
Old 07-09-2014, 22:47   #172
Senior Member+

I'm still undecided I could listen to a no voter have a little rant and agree with most of what they're saying but that also applies for a yes voter

I seen a few debates on TV but,as yet,nothing has swung me so to speak.
Who really wants to be in the EU anyway? All they do is come up with silly laws, human rights, you only have to look at the latest ban on hoovers to see their cuckoo).

Personally, I'd vote YES on the 18th. It's nothing to do with nationalism or Braveheart. Simply a wish for not having a government that is a puppet to the puppet master US

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 23:26   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I lived in Saskatchewan for almost 20 years ... my son teaches engineering at the U of S ... I'm a true stubble jumper. And a great fan of the green and white And they are ahead 30 t0 17 in the fourth quarter.

Is this off-topic, or what.
I tried, I really did. I even attended a Grey Cup parade in T.O. back in the early 80s, perched on the shoulders of my then boyfriend to better see over all the tall people. I liked the white tights and padded shoulders, but the finer points of the game eluded me. They still do. Still, may the best team win
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 00:43   #174
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Who really wants to be in the EU anyway?
almost eveyone if you think %95 sounds about right

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 20:39   #175
God Member

After pondering the upcoming referendum over a few pints and a couple of bongs, it occurred to me that the whole thing is a bad idea ... it's a lose/lose situation. The vote is going to be real close ... let's say 51% for, and 49% against ... doesn't matter, it could be the other way around. So, let's say it's "yes" ... the new independent Scotland starts life out with just over half the voters ecstatic, and the other just-less-than-half real po'd. A great way to start a new country And if it's the other way around? ... Well, you get the picture. Whatever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't [deleted]ing fix it." Manufactured passion trumps reason once again.
mobertol likes this.
Old 08-09-2014, 21:11   #176
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'm still undecided I could listen to a no voter have a little rant and agree with most of what they're saying but that also applies for a yes voter

I seen a few debates on TV but,as yet,nothing has swung me so to speak.
Who really wants to be in the EU anyway? All they do is come up with silly laws, human rights, you only have to look at the latest ban on hoovers to see their cuckoo).

Personally, I'd vote YES on the 18th. It's nothing to do with nationalism or Braveheart. Simply a wish for not having a government that is a puppet to the puppet master US
You mean you would welcome that greasy spoon Alex Salmond and his sidekick Nicola Sturgeon looking after your interests??? WHY?
These are no different from the politicians we have in Westminster...they are only there to make sure they have a warm coat for the winter.
Also Scotland will have to sign up to Schengen agreement and then all those currently in France but wanting to get into Britain will just get a ferry to Scotland and hop over the border......because regardless of what the political parties say...they will not have control over borders.

It is going to be a huge can of worms........and will damage all those who currently live in both nations.
Old 08-09-2014, 22:32   #177
Senior Member+

Quote:
You mean you would welcome that greasy spoon Alex Salmond and his sidekick Nicola Sturgeon looking after your interests??? WHY?

Also Scotland will have to sign up to Schengen agreement and then all those currently in France but wanting to get into Britain will just get a ferry to Scotland and hop over the border......because regardless of what the political parties say...they will not have control over borders.

It is going to be a huge can of worms........and will damage all those who currently live in both nations.
Some good points.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 00:42   #178
Senior Member+

Red face Re: Do the Scots REALLY want Independance?

Quote:
These are no different from the politicians we have in Westminster...they are only there to make sure they have a warm coat for the winter.

Sorry, M, I've been a little busy today.

Fair points as usual,I could give you a speech about how I think it's time for 'the Sturgeonator' but to be honest I don't follow Scottish politics close enough to pull it off (it was one of my (many) unthinking provocative comments ).
(I believe) We both know ALL the mainstream parties are virtually identical,by that I mean they are different shades of feces from the same rectrum (please excuse my wording).

That being said, I think Nicola S is semi intelligent, pretty well educated, caring, socially and ethically conscious and yeah perhaps she would make a decent leader for the SNP and maybe,'just maybe' a fine First Minister for Scotland. I hardily ever cringe when she talks, the sign of a good politician to my mind (but that's just my mind ).

I agree there will be damage on both sides...why?......Because some immature politicians tried to play politics with the economy

password--Accyweb
Old 09-09-2014, 07:02   #179
Beacon of light

Well, real life always takes precedence over the internet stuff.......but I didn't really get an answer to my question.....did I?
You never said why you would like Alex Salmond to look after your interests....you just took on the side issue of Nicola Sturgeon.

What she seems and what she is are two entirely different beasts.....and I am sure that like many politicians on this side of Hadrians Wall......she has people who tell her the messages she is to promote.
What is said on the run up to a vote is like what is said prior to any vote.....they say what they want you to hear. Knowing that once the X is delivered to their box.....they can do any blooming thing they like, because the die is cast and it cannot be taken back.

The debates have been farcical and have not taken true account of the damage that could be inflicted on both sides when the people vote to leave the union......and surely both sides should have a vote. There are many exiled scots living in the UK who do not get to say what happens.

It is all a chaotic mess......and is going to get much worse.
Old 09-09-2014, 15:11   #180
Senior Member+

Re Salmond, I just think, he deserves 'a little credit' for what he has done for Scotland
I have no interest in those who mock his physique or perceived arrogance he is one of the most able politicians that Britain has seen for many decades

The Scottish Parliament has been a great success and overall I think salmond and the SNP have governed Scotland pretty well. Indeed that is why an independent Scotland is even a possibility.
The Scottish people have seen for themselves that they can govern themselves and for that I think he deserves "a little credit".

His combination of populist policies. (removing bridge tolls, student fees and prescription charges), good management and a reliable team of government ministers, has created a 'feel better' factor and confidence in today's Scotland

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..