Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2005, 07:33   #1
Super Moderator

"England Expects..."

Today is the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, so I hope everyone raises a glass to Admiral Lord Nelson who led our navy to victory over the combined might of the French and Spanish fleets - a true English hero!

:engsmil:
Old 21-10-2005, 10:07   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: "England Expects..."

Was Nelson in Lancashire named after Horatio Nelson, and if so what was it called before that?

I've been searching around and couldn't find out. The only bit of information of any interest that came up was that Burnley was originally called Brunley.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 11:10   #3
Super Moderator

It was originally two farming settlements, Great and Little Marsden, and was, indeed, renamed after Lord Nelson.
Old 21-10-2005, 13:08   #4
God Member

.........and so was Nelson Square in Church (now the site of the Sports Centre)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 13:16   #5
God Member

....and in Oswaldtwistle, we had Duncan Square, named after Nelson's contemporary (although not quite as illustrious), Admiral Lord Duncan.
Old 21-10-2005, 13:49   #6
Super Moderator

Admiral Lord Duncan, Nelson's mentor, was yet another great naval hero to whom this country owes a debt of gratitude. In 1797, the Dundee-born Duncan commanded the British fleet which defeated the Dutch fleet at the Battle of Camperduin. The Dutch ships were about to pick up thousands of French troops to invade Britain. Thanks to Duncan, the invasion was thwarted. Personally, I think they should erect a statue of him on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square, but I don't suppose it'll happen.

Incidentally, Tealeaf, I suppose you've sunk a few in your time in the Duncan Bar of the Trafalgar Tavern in Greenwich!
Old 21-10-2005, 13:59   #7
God Member

...Yeah..and in the Yacht next door, and in the Prince of Wales Feathers next door to the NMM...
Old 21-10-2005, 14:41   #8
Senior Member+

[quote=Wynonie Harris]Admiral Lord Duncan, Nelson's mentor, was yet another great naval hero to whom this country owes a debt of gratitude. In 1797, the Dundee-born Duncan commanded the British fleet which defeated the Dutch fleet at the Battle of Camperduin. The Dutch ships were about to pick up thousands of French troops to invade Britain. Thanks to Duncan, the invasion was thwarted. Personally, I think they should erect a statue of him on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square, but I don't suppose it'll happen.quote]
Don't think it would have been that bad being invaded by the Dutch, all that free sex and drugs.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 18:39   #9

:engsmil: To Admiral Lord Nelson

Those who cant have me hate me, Those who got me can't handle me, Those who abuse me lose me - And then, there's people like you who cant refuse me.
Pauline01UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 18:55   #10
God Member

Cheers Lord Nelson, also bought the commemorative Battle of Trafalgar £5 coin, very nice it is too!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 20:07   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
...Yeah..and in the Yacht next door, and in the Prince of Wales Feathers next door to the NMM...
Hmmm...sounds like a potential pre-match pub crawl before the Stanley v Orient match next season!

Talking of pubs, time to go and drink a toast to Admiral Lord Nelson - a man amongst men!
Old 21-10-2005, 22:14   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

definatly worth raising a glass to that guy- anybody who whoops the frogs will do for me lol
Old 21-10-2005, 23:53   #13
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
definatly worth raising a glass to that guy- anybody who whoops the frogs will do for me lol
I'm on a diet so I had to have a cup of tea. Pity their wasn't more going on nationally............

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 23:53   #14
Give, give, give member

He never said 'Kiss me Hardy'.

I was there, it was something much ruder.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2005, 23:59   #15
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
He never said 'Kiss me Hardy'.

I was there, it was something much ruder.
Do you have too...................

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..