Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 11:23   #1

None stick pans

07 Jun 2005, 03:46:00 PM

Reporter: Laura Sparkes

The sizzle of food in your frypan, it always smells so good but be careful what you breathe in.

Who would have guessed that the fumes from this non-stick frypan in most Australian households, might give you the flu, dangerous chemicals linked to cancer, infertility, thyroid and immune problems in laboratory animals and they can even kill birds.

Bob Symons is a scientist at the National Measurement Institute. He says these chemicals or perfluorinated compounds, that come off over-heated frypans are in the blood of 95 percent of Americans. He wants to study our population's blood and research levels in food and the environment.

"Because these compounds are very persistent it takes a long time for them to break down and the more were exposed the greater levels they're going to be in our blood… The longer they stay in the blood in our bodies the more chance they have to interact with ourselves and different organs."

The dangerous chemicals start coming off the pan when reaching temperatures between 315 and 350 degrees. After this you may get the flu. Let's see how quickly it gets to the danger point without any food in it. Bob uses an infrared thermometer... and guess what? It only took 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

Mother of two Moa Alfven was shocked at this result in her own kitchen.

Now lets test the temperature while cooking bacon. This time it took 4 minutes 21 to reach the dangerous levels - a minute and a half longer.

Go and buy a non-stick frypan and you wont find a health warning anywhere, however they do caution against cooking over 260 degrees celsius but don't say why. But go to Dupont's teflon website and eventually you will find a warning of "flu-like symptoms, chills, fever and sore throat from vapors emitted during hot cooking buried in the fine print.

"They haven't put a warning on the pans because thats where the people would see it and it would stop people from buying the pans." Tim Cropp is a senior scientist with the environmental working group, an association in the US that is calling for a consumer warning of all non-stick frypans. "There's no requirement for anyone to be notified of the problems with these pans because most of it falls under consumer safety and because consumers aren't able to complain about this because they don't even know when they've been harmed, theres no action."

"We may not kill ourselves directly we may not even feel the acute effects of this chemical soup we live in, but what we do is impact on the future generations of our children growing up." Dr Marianne Lloyd-Smith is national coordinator of the National Toxics Network. She says its not just the flu we should worry about... lab animal studies have uncovered severe health problems. "They've been shown by research from some of the manufacturers to cause cancer, to cause liver disease, reproductive problems and a whole load of developmental problems as well."

The fumes are also known to kill birds. Carly McGee was boiling meat for 90 minutes on high heats, in a non-stick saucepan, with her healthy young peach faced parrot in the kitchen. "Two hours after we cooked he got a little uncordinated and dizzy and so we put him back in the cage didn't know what was up then I looked up and he was actually dead in the bottom of the cage."

Carly pondered why her bird died but after searching the web she found 47,000 sites about over heated non-stick pans killing birds. She's now concerned for her unborn child and now only cooks using stainless steel. "I don't even like to breathe in say the cleaning products that I clean with, or somebody smoking a cigarette, let alone something that can kill a bird, but if you smoke a cigarette around a bird, he doesn't drop dead in a cage."

But don't think its just non-stick frypans...these chemicals are in many other products. Bob looks around Moa's house - pointing out where they hide. "The carpet has stain resistant coatings that have perfluorinated compounds… your chairs and potentially your couch could have stain resistant coatings… and maybe even the leather jacket your wearing. The sandwich maker here has the teflon on both sides non stick coating and probably in your drawer here you've probably got utensils here with teflon coating."

Obviously you don't heat the carpet or couch up so how are they emitted?

"The compounds are volatile enough to get into the air, then they breakdown to the more resistant perfluroinated compounds."

Millions of us around the world have been using non-stick cookware blissfully ignorant for 70 years but its now emerging that Dupont may have known about these worrying health implications for the past 20 years, including birth defects in the babies of some Dupont factory workers. Now the US environmental protection agency is taking legal action against Dupont on this hidden knowledge but Dupon deny any wrong doing.

"We believe we are in the clear, were cooperating totally with the EPA, we've given them all the information, we don't believe there's a health effect from PFOA, human health effects." Leo Hide is Dupont's Australian research and development manager. He says only factory workers have reported flu-like symptoms due to higher exposure levels. "If you get above 350-400 the coating will start to decompose but the levels are so low that the probability of anyone getting fume fever from cookware to the best of our knowledge we haven't had a case in this country."

He says because Dupont doesn't make the cookware, only the teflon coating, they can't warn consumers on the products.

Why not put it on the teflon seal? "We put out a series of brochures which we send out tens of thousands every year, this is in Australia specifically, with warnings on those brochures" answers Leo.

But Dupont's critics aren't convinced, even the Federal US Dept of Justice has subpoenaed Dupont on more information on the health effects.

"This is a very large public health problem, you have a chemical that never breaks down, that's in everyones blood that causes many types of health effects that is the most serious problem, you're ever going to encounter with a chemical."

"I just think that people should be made aware, knowledge is your best bet, if you can arm yourself with knowledge then maybe you make different decisions" says Carli.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2005, 11:51   #2
God Member

Re: None stick pans

thats a new one, but when frying how the heck do you know when you are reaching critical temp??

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:22   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
thats a new one, but when frying how the heck do you know when you are reaching critical temp??
Stick yer finger in the pan and you'll find out.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 13:55   #4

I was told a number of years ago when I bought a cockateal not to burn non stick pans as the fumes could kill it. But I didn't think it applied to humans.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 14:05   #5

well, my non stick pans never stay non stick for long.......at least i'm honest
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 14:44   #6
I am Banned

ime safe

pixie cremates anything she trys to cook not even the most stubborn chemicals could survive her cooking
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:18   #7
Senior Member+

if we beleived everything that is said about what we eat and drink and how we do things with food etc etc ......WE WOULD BE DEAD because we wouldnt risk eating or drinking anything ....ive been eating fry ups bbq sauce and all that malarky for years and im ok (well im a bit numb in the head but i cant blame food for that ..lol)

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:42   #8
God Member

Funnily enough, there was a few of us from on here talking about something similar in the Stag on sunday afternoon. The question was: "How do you clean a Big George Grill? (one that has had quite a bit of use)

Those of you who pocess such a kitchen implement know that you can't just sling the whole lot into a tub of hot soapy water; the manufacturer recomends rubbing down with oil, while hot. However, I invariably end up burning my hands. Does anyone know of any good method?
Old 07-06-2005, 16:44   #9
Senior Member+

Get someone else to do it and let them burn their hands instead!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:50   #10
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Funnily enough, there was a few of us from on here talking about something similar in the Stag on sunday afternoon. The question was: "How do you clean a Big George Grill? (one that has had quite a bit of use)

Those of you who pocess such a kitchen implement know that you can't just sling the whole lot into a tub of hot soapy water; the manufacturer recomends rubbing down with oil, while hot. However, I invariably end up burning my hands. Does anyone know of any good method?
i use a pad not a scourer and just wipe it down when its cooling off,then wipe over with a tea-towel, thats after i have cooked on it about eight times first though trying to build my anti-bodies up.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:54   #11
Resting in peace

You get flu from a virus, not from a pan, but ...

Non-stick pans are useless. They do stick, and every time you clean them a bit more of the non-stick comes off. Best of all is heavy duty stainless steel - they cost more, but last a lifetime, and you can scrub them with a brillo pad without doing any damage.

Tea - try coating your grill with ordinary kitchen salt, letting it cool a bit, then rubbing down with an oil-soaked soft cloth. That should clean it off, and leave a good cooking surface for next time.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:55   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
Dead easy, you suddenly fall forward in a faint, and when you come round half your face is missing and the other half is proving that the pan is no longer none stick!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 16:55   #13
God Member

I use a pad, too....the problem is I'm usually eating what I 've just cooked on there while the hotplates are cooling off. And I've usually had a couple of jars. So I've got to let it go cold then come back and heat it up again later, by which time the greasy bits have congealed and are a bu**ar to get off.
Old 07-06-2005, 16:57   #14
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
You get flu from a virus, not from a pan, but ...

Non-stick pans are useless. They do stick, and every time you clean them a bit more of the non-stick comes off. Best of all is heavy duty stainless steel - they cost more, but last a lifetime, and you can scrub them with a brillo pad without doing any damage.

Tea - try coating your grill with ordinary kitchen salt, letting it cool a bit, then rubbing down with an oil-soaked soft cloth. That should clean it off, and leave a good cooking surface for next time.
too much salt gives you heart problems pendy!tea is better off not washing it and let it build his anti-bodies up, or better still go around to your gaff and let you cook and wash up.....lol
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 17:28   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Whatever next!!! It seems that we can't eat, drink or ingest anything without there being some kind of health warning these days. Can anyone explain to me why even though I don't have a non-stick pan anyway, I still feel ill all of the time....

Tealeaf, forget the George grilling machine and get a takeaway, no more washing up..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..