Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2010, 07:48   #1
God Member

Flash mob in Accy

well done Gayle i wonder if any accywebbers joined in

Video: Hundreds stun town centre shoppers with 'flash mob' dance - Accrington Observer
Old 24-11-2010, 07:56   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Flash mob in Accy

not the ones in the railway we where to busy
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:13   #3
Beacon of light

I'm just wondering who did the count........
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:27   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm just wondering who did the count........
Me too - I have watched the video - seemed more like 30, and they weren't dancing in unison.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 10:30   #5
Beacon of light

Margaret, I thought it was just me being hypercritical again.
The You Tube clip isn't very good.......and I just think it makes us (as a town) look foolish.(just my opinion)
I was on Broadway on Saturday(not for the flash mob thing - I missed those...yes it was calculated)and although it was busy, it was no busier than any other Saturday on the run up to Christmas.
Old 24-11-2010, 10:58   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The You Tube clip isn't very good.......
Looks to me like it was done by someone on a mobile phone and uploaded to there own youtube account so it wont be perfect will it? I am not sure if any professional filming was done or not.

It looked like fun to me and I still think its great that so many kids were involved with this.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:20   #7
Senior Member+

400?

Dont think accrington Centre has ever seen 400 people during the day.
Old 24-11-2010, 11:27   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Looks to me like it was done by someone on a mobile phone and uploaded to there own youtube account so it wont be perfect will it? I am not sure if any professional filming was done or not.

It looked like fun to me and I still think its great that so many kids were involved with this.
You could see that those adolescents(not 'kids') were enjoying the experience. They didn't look well trained at all - so was the taxpayers money well spent?- I think not. Those who participated could have done it without 'training', and on being told that they were allowed to dance in the streets, would have organised it themselves - probably better.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:45   #9
God Member

well i think its a great idea, i think what Gayle does for Hyndburn is wonderful, who cares if it wasn't perfect, it's not supposed to be, its supposed to be as if everyone just joined in, it's keeping kids off street corners, giving them something to focus on and helping them have fun, i just wish we had a Gayle in Blackburn...... i think the negative comments about this are awful.... maybe you didn't have the chance to do this sort of thing when you where growing up...things have changed, it makes me so angry when people moan about things that are helping the future generations...GRRRRRR
Old 24-11-2010, 12:10   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:

It was on the Observer link.....wouldn't you think that they would have found something that was better to represent the activity....either that or posted only stills taken from a better angle........or am I being hypercritical again? No...don't answer that!
Old 24-11-2010, 12:18   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
It was on the Observer link...
Enough said, do a search on AccyWeb and see what many people think of the Observer now.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:18   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
well i think its a great idea, i think what Gayle does for Hyndburn is wonderful, who cares if it wasn't perfect, it's not supposed to be, its supposed to be as if everyone just joined in, it's keeping kids off street corners, giving them something to focus on and helping them have fun, i just wish we had a Gayle in Blackburn...... i think the negative comments about this are awful.... maybe you didn't have the chance to do this sort of thing when you where growing up...things have changed, it makes me so angry when people moan about things that are helping the future generations...GRRRRRR
Shaz, I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with your viewpoint.

This activity might have taken some young people off the street corners for a very short while.......and because I think I read somewhwere that the young folk were from The Accross College, I rather think they would not be the ones who hung about on street corners.

The value of this activity is transitory....it has no lasting effect........and I think the money could have been used to better purpose.
And it loked on the clip like everyone had 'just joined in' rather than some of the youngsters having been taught the routine.......not imppressive at all.

I got to do 'Country Dancing' when I was growing up, but not on Broadway.
I'm not moaning, just commenting with my own opinion.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:19   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
They didn't look well trained at all - so was the taxpayers money well spent?- I think not.
Is was not just about the end product in my opinion but how the kids got there and what they got out of the experiance.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:22   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Enough said, do a search on AccyWeb and see what many people think of the Observer now.
Neil, I know what many people think of the Observer now......it is nothing like the local paper that represented the town for so many years......it feels like it is being run by amateurs who have absolutely no interest in local issues.
They were happy to report the event, but not interested enough to send someone who could take pictures that would portray the event accurately, preferring to use a second rate You Tube clip......says a lot doesn't it?
Old 24-11-2010, 13:39   #15

As flashy says well done Gayle, and i agree with Neil it did look like a lot of fun.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..