Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 23:17   #1
Give, give, give member

For better or worse.

Sorry for rehashing the front page story of this weekend's Observer, but I found it incredibly sad.

An eighty year old war veteran has been legally stopped fron caring for his eighty five year old wife by Lancashire Social Services.

His wife was admitted to the Royal Infirmary after suffering a stroke, then transfered to an old people's home in Clayton. His wife now suffers from dementia, but once a week for the past six weeks he has taken her home for the day and cared for her without any problem.

He decided that he could give his wife the full time care she deserved better himself. He wants to cook her favourite food and play her favourite music which she apparently sings along to. He took her away from the home in a taxi only to have her returned to the home by the police, and she has been legally placed in the care of the home for six months and isn't allowed to go home.

Does the State via Social Services have the right to dictate what is best for this woman, or does the man who has been married to her for over fifty years not know what is best for his wife? For one thing it would be more cost effective for the State to let her be cared for at home.

Social Services seem more than able to let children be abused by their carers, as seen in quite a few well documented cases, but refuse to turn a blind eye and let a man care at home for the woman he so obviously loves.

If anybody tries to bung me in a home whilst I'm still able to care for myself, shoot me. On second thoughts shoot the buggers that are trying to bundle me into the van.

Last edited by garinda; 01-06-2006 at 23:35.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-06-2006, 23:57   #2
white rabbits

Re: For better or worse.

pigs..... thats horrible..
Old 02-06-2006, 00:54   #3
I am Banned

social services = S.S

ring any bells anyone
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:59   #4
God Member

It must be great to live in such a crime free place where the police have nothing better to do , they should be ashamed of themselves , amazing how there have been no news reports about the local politicians jumping through hoops to reunite this couple , guess the election season is over .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:19   #5
God Member

an article in the Evening Telegraph states ......
"A council spokeswoman said: "We have an obligation to protect vulnerable people who do not have the mental capacity to make an informed decision as to how their care needs should be met."
Who is this spokeswoman ? does she not have a name ? I thought politicians wanted open Govt. or is she afraid of her family finding out what a heartless bitch they have in the family .
sorry but this story makes me bloody angry
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:29   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

How very very sad...... This man is probably capable of providing care for his wife. Care can be provided at home with the help of social services and care agencies. I thought that the government's aim was to provide care for people in the community rather than coop people up in homes and hospitals. What a pathetic country we live in..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:52   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I thought that the government's aim was to provide care for people in the community rather than coop people up in homes and hospitals.
Does it say which home she is in? Is it a private home or a DSS (or whoever) run home?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:59   #8
Super Moderator

What a sad story and a reminder of just how much power faceless, heartless bureacracy seems to have in this country. Perhaps this man has a case under the Human Rights Act? Oh no, of course, I forgot, that's only for the benefit of criminals and terrorists.

Seriously, shouldn't local councillors or even Greg Pope be getting involved in this one?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:51   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Does it say which home she is in? Is it a private home or a DSS (or whoever) run home?
I haven't got my paper yet so have not read the article. My guess is that if the SS has forcefully put her in a home then it will be a SS managed home..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:01   #10
Resting in Peace

Here is a link to the story in the Telegragh

http://www.lancashireeveningtelegrap...rsing_home.php
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:07   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Its the Hollies in Clayton, a private home. With what these private homes charge each week I am not surprised they want to keep her I can't help think that some homes, maybe not this home, are only in it for the money and see the residents as pots of money.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:17   #12
Give, give, give member

It appears that some of the details I posted are incorrect such as the ladies age.(I'd given my copy of the Observer away by the time my electricity was back on.) However the jist of this sad story is correct.

According to the Observer the national press have picked up on this story. I sincerely hope that Social Services are shamed into giving this woman back into the care of the husband that wants to look after her.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:28   #13
God Member

It was in the Express or the Mail on Tuesday( can't remember which, I was reading it whilst waiting for physio at Beardwood)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40   #14
God Member

.....and The Times gave it least half-page coverage on tuesday.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41   #15
God Member

My grandad cared for my gran who had had several strokes into his 80's and only allowed here into a home when he couldnt cope. He spent nearly every day at the home with her right up to his death. Breaking people of of this age apart after a life time together should be a last resort. Is it cheaper for the SS to have them in a home than being in her own home with external support?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..